Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 5:13 AM Reply   
God they are pretty. The last one is a shot on the Origin Skull I picked up from Cory K which is amazing. It's in such good shape that I really want to use it as my main board this season on the boat, but I can't risk breaking it. The bindings feel great. It comes with an owners manual lol I guess to properly mold the foot beds. Are the extra heel pads worth while?
Attached Images

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-31-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
Those look pretty nice. Is that can of Red Bull? haha. marketing
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-31-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
Dude, that board/binding combo looks siiiiick. You gotta start riding to a lot of heavy metal if you are riding that board though. Just to complete the effect. And if you are talking about the extra yellow J-bars they give you (not sure if they come with the reflectos, I got a pair with my 09 Reliks), I have never used them. I dont get any heel lift froom the boots, so if its not broke, dont fix it. Try them with and without, see what you like better.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-31-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
They are utterly, outrageously cool!

Last edited by timmo; 03-31-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: I can't spel lol!
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Nice setup. Maybe put some red stickers (cut to match) on the eyes. That would be very cool.

m-
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
Yeah it is a red bull mini shot type thing and an autographed version of the Parks Documentary. I'm not going to use the Origin as my daily driver, it is my favorite board of all time and thanks to Cory K i was able to get one again. It will most likely go on the wall and stay there. Here is my current setup for the cable at least. I need to get a new board for the boat though because the SINE is awful on the boat. I think I am going with a Ronix One, Bill or Hyperlite Marek.
Attached Images

Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       03-31-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Sweet boots! Can you elaborate on the sine?
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-31-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Cool bindings! Glad the Origin is in good hands!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
The Sine is a VERY light board with a moderate amount of flex, but not like the strait flex boards that are out. It has a pretty decent size spine which takes some getting used to on the rails. My first hit today on the aframe, I guess I was a little heel heavy and almost fell on my butt on the up rail, but managed to hop off to the side and ride away without killing my back. You have to really make sure to get your weight over the front of the board hitting rails which is actually probably a good thing for technique because it will not allow for you to do otherwise. The flex is mainly in the tip and tails and this is the first time that I've ever gotten to really utilize flex to my advantage. On an aframe hit where I normally would have had to hop off the top (McCormicks aframe is really long and very far over) I was able to transfer my weight onto the nose and make the whole rail. I was also able to save a lot of falls that I normally would have ended up to tail heavy and just not making it, but I guess flexed out and saved the landings. I just started riding again after a pretty bad knee injury 3 months ago. This was my third time out, 3 different cables in 6 days actually lol. Hit up Rixen for a quick 30 minute set right before they closed and just hit the kicker. It popped really nicely off of the kicker and carries some pretty good speed for a wider board. My first trick was a batwing that I just wanted to go a little smaller and feel her out but end up getting booted and doing a batwing to fakie. It is pretty much what happens when I edge in too tail heavy on batwings off kickers, looks cool but is actually just an accident but fortunately easy to land. I tried a couple petes after because the pop was feeling good even though I hadn't ridden in so long, but pete's never have been a trick to hurt my knees. First one definitely got the butterflies out, missed the grab and barely made it passed 180 and the second one I booted a little to big, held the grab a little too long and under rotated about 30 degrees leaving a nice little fall but still felt awesome through the air. Unfortunately that was the last trick before the park closed. Yesterday I went to odub on my drive home from south florida for an hour sesh, and it slides very very well on the pvc sheeting, very fast and that new rail which for some reason has gotten a bad reputation I thought was awesome. Today all I did was try and figure the board out on the aframe and except for the first hit which left me weary, I really liked it. Ended up keeping the hair dry the entire set.
3 months ago is when I hurt my knee at McCormicks off the kicker. I went in for a big nuc glide, and landed dead flat on the board. I had my don joy brace on my right knee so basically my left knee did the bending for the both of them and ended up tearing the meniscus, so today I promised myself to take it easy and just have a fun sesh on the aframe without any showboating. The day before I hurt my knee I took a boat set with the Sine. Had the boat fully weighted and I just could not get a consistent pop out of the board to save my life. It was like the board had a mind of its own. Pretty much the worst board I have ever ridden behind a boat. I don't know if it was the first time riding flex or me being rusty, but everything about it I hated. It bounced on every landing and just was very unresponsive. When I weight my boat down, there really isn't much you have to do when you hit the wake. It does all of the work for you but with the Sine, it wasn't the case.

Now for a review on the Reliks. Absolutely great binding!! Felt like they were broken in after my first lap, easy/fast to get into, tighten up as much as you want, and easy to get out of. They were also the perfect height on my ankles, not to short but not to high taking a lot of the pressure off of my knees. My feet never fell asleep despite how tight I was wearing them and there were no pressure points at all. I haven't done the heat molding yet either, but I don't really know where I can get it done. The bindings were not to stiff but weren't as "flexible" as they are advertised to be. They were perfect.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndh2o View Post
Cool bindings! Glad the Origin is in good hands!
Not gonna lie, I was a little nervous when you showed me the pics of the rail damage even though you said it was minimal, but I guess just like a picture adds 10 pounds to a person, must do the same thing for rails of a wakeboard lol. I'm debating if I want to seal them though before I take her for a ride. I don't really know if it is necessary but just in case it keeps it for getting water logged, I think I might take some sun cure too it just in case. It really is one of the best shapes and graphics ever made. Even as a 2002 the contours and features of the board are no different then the current shapes coming out today.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
here are some more pics of the origin. if ANYONE has one that is in rideable condition and wants to sell it, I will pay a pretty good price as Cory can attest.
Attached Images

Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-31-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
Kyle, my Reliks are a little stiff too but they definitely break in a bit after a season of riding. If you want to heat mould them, take a hair dryer, stick it in the top and heat it up, then strap in and stand on the board. I didnt bother with it, and my boots have pretty much moulded to my feet after a season.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       04-01-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Parks put on twitter that he got number 161 of 500. I wonder who has pair number 1.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-01-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
Origins were the ****, I had the 2001 134 called the Aloha with a pair of Blindside Cinchwraps after riding the setup at one of Charley Patterson's clinics. Unfortunately, not too long after, my mom's van was cased and the board was stolen. I wish I still had it, but even more so I want one of those Skulls, those are classics.
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       04-01-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
I bet #1 is sitting in a display case at Ronix HQ.....
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-01-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
$500 or not....those are sick.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-01-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckledragger View Post
$500 or not....those are sick.
And it isn't like they were outrageously overpriced compared to their other bindings. The ones which were my other choice were $420. For this, I get the bindings which are the coolest things since sliced bread and the whole box, autograph dvd ($35 if i wanted to buy it) and the mini redbull which is the only thing worthless in the box but it does add to the package