Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-09-2012, 10:04 AM Reply   
We lost a GoPro Hero2 with wifi backpak to the river last week when a rope caught it while it was mounted via suction cup to the transom trying to get a closer shot of my 4yr old riding. We still have a regular Hero HD but I really feel like we are just wasting time trying to use it to film Wakeboarding.

I've started looking at regular video cameras for the first time in a long time and it really looks like there are a ton of options. First, we have Canon Rebel T2i but I really don't want a DSLR on the boat as I really want something small, simple and easy to mount. A lot of times it is just me, my wife and our 2 small boys so I need something that I can mount, hit record and go.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a video camera in the $300-$600 range? I'm partial to Sony and found several I'm that price range that seem like they would work well.

I'm not opposed to a regular digital camera that takes good video. It doesn't necessarily have to be waterproof but this Sony seems pretty cool:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=DSCTX200V#additionalImage1"

This new waterproof camcorder from Sony also seems like it would be a great option too:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666458540

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
First, we have Canon Rebel T2i but I really don't want a DSLR on the boat as I really want something small, simple and easy to mount.
You can't beat GoPro for mounting, but I'm guessing you want something that can zoom in? Something like the waterproof sony you posted wouldn't be a bad idea. The only trick is you'll have to find a way to mount it. Also, note the digital zoom. Depending on how far you're zooming in, you'll end up pixeling-out your video.

A mounting solution might be this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+...&skuId=1007629

You'll need to get an additional threaded 1/4" tripod screw from lowes or home depot (assuming sony has a 1/4" tripod screw hole).

Fix the threaded screw to the gopro tripod mount, and screw the open non-fixed end into the sony. That way you can use your current go pro mounts and any other mounts you want to get in the future. You'll have an easily mountable camera that can zoom in. Also get a float for the camera. There's a gopro version and a "float it" version.

Hope any of that helps!
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-09-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Ryan. That is exactly what I was thinking of using for mounting so that I can still use my GoPro mounts and keep it simple. The Zoom and the ability to easily see what you are recording is the biggest reason for wanting something other than the GoPro.

I know you can get the LCD screen or use the video output of the GoPro and eventually when the iPhone app comes out you can view what you are recording with the wifi backpak but that still doesn't solve being able to record clearly at 70'-80'.

The Sony HDR-GW77V has 10X optical zoom which would be more than enough to get good video at those distances. I may see if the Sony Style store has one I can play with or pick up and try out on the boat.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-09-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Right on, I didn't research that sony much, just looked at the picture which explains my digital zoom comment. My bad. Are there any less expensive than $699? That's almost the same cost as a t3i now.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-19-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
I went ahead and bought the Sony HDR-GW77V. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. Pretty sweet little camera. I bought a Fat Gecko Mini mount for it that I plan to use to mount it underneath the tower: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Now I just need to figure out how to keep from losing it in the water!