Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-08-2010, 2:55 AM Reply   
I am returning from a year long tour in Iraq at the end of next month and I am wanting to plan a trip for 3-4 days. I will have an RV and my boat available and was just trying to get some opinions on which lake would be more fun to camp on with an RV and board on.

Lake Austin: i have been many times and usually take the RV to Emma Long Park. We put in, ride all day then at night we party, grill some food and drink beer. It has always been a good time but i am a little worried about the water level and the crowds. Last summer friends told me that the water level was really low.

Amistad: Awesome lake, but i have never been there with an RV. Is there any good places to stay that is still close to good riding water?

Any other suggestions. I have several friends throw out Trinity River, Marble Falls and a few others but i don't know.

I would like to keep it in the state of Texas and am really concerned with a nice place for the camp as well as nice riding water. Not too concerned w/ being near others or a party atmosphere because i will going with most of my friends. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       03-08-2010, 5:41 AM Reply   
Texas has gotten a lot of rain in the last few months. I wouldn;t worry too much about lake levels on Austin. To me it would come donwn to whether you want to camp out in the sticks or near a metropolitan scene with nightlife potential.

I lived in Austin for about 13 years, and loved camping at City Park (Emma Long) and grabbing that early butter, but I have never been out to Amistad and would love to check it out. Travis is bacck up too, so you might check out hitting the Pedernales as well.

If you consider the Trinity, check the release levels of the upstream lakes. Lewisville is still letting out a lot of water, and all the crap it washes out goes down stream. It is supposed to be a wet spring, so that destination might be a bit risky in terms of having ridable water.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-08-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info Dan. Not too worried about the night life. Sticks is fine with me. I have always enjoyed Waketoberfest at Emma Long but i am not opposed to the sticks. We plan on having a few good days without too much partying.

I guess I should have clarified as far as the trinity river goes, we were planning on riding north of Houston.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-08-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Lake Austin is a constant level lake, but the weekends are a total loss to find good water. With all the development (retaining walls), it turns into a giant bathtub. If you want to be near Austin, check out Pace Bend Park on Lake Travis. The park is located just below the mouth of where the Pedernales and Colorado rivers meet, which gives you more options to find good water.

Lake Amistad is nice & somewhat isolated. It looks like a pretty straight shot for you from San Angelo. However, I'm no help as it relates to RVing. All I know is the good water is on the Devil's River.

THANKS for your service & have a great time wherever you choose!!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-08-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
When I want to stay up on the ( North of houston) trinity ( they have rooms,RV and/tent sites) I stay here. They support our local Houston scene.

http://www.bethycreek.com/
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-08-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I think right now I am leaning towards Emma Long Park or bethy creek. Both look great. I really do appreciate it. I am looking for a place to just chill. I am really looking forward to getting some down time.
Old     (pacifichigh)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-08-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
LA is better for viewing the local wildlife that will start scampering around in bikini's as soon as it warms up a bit more.

Travis is 95% full, so Pace Bend/Perd would be a good bet if you want some more solitude.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-08-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
agreed lake austin is roller city. ill never go back. miserable time.
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-08-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
agreed lake austin is roller city. ill never go back. miserable time.
If you don't mind getting up early, there is good water to be had at the north end on weekends. Usually ridable until at least 10-11am on Saturday and Sunday.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-09-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
The Perd will be good this summer. I'm hearing that it's still full of trash since the water has come up so much. Give it time to clear out and that's where I'll be.