Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-07-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
weight: 180 lbs
height: 183 cm
intermediate wakeboarder

What board/size should I go with?

Thanks
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Wakeworld usually has a "Board finder", but the page is under construction. Up on the top of the page under the "gear" tab drop-down menu, it's in there. Don't know how long it'll be until its working though.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-08-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Go with a 142. Lots of solid options out there for boards. Lots of hype around Flex boards from Company, Slingshot, etc..

There are solid, core boards that everyone seems to enjoy - Lyman, Watson, Parks, One,
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-08-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
+1 for slingshot... so much fun to ride, and the larger boards fell small because they're so thin and light.

142 Recoil is money
(I am selling a brand new 09 right now too if you're interested)

other boards I've enjoyed - ronix Ibex, LF Shane, Byerly Monarch
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-08-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
I would agree with the 142 assessment, but depending on the company/board model it doesn't have to be 142, just something in the lower 140 range.

I ride liquid force, have for all 13 years that I've been wakeboarding. I've tried a couple other boards here and there from other companies and while some have been pretty good I keep going back to what I know and what works for my riding style.

What board are you currently riding?

I would like to see what you're looking for in a board, do you want a quick board, loose board, a board that is quick in the transition, abrupt straight up pop, etc. Once we know what you're looking for as far as how you want a board to ride we may suggest specific models based on our tendancies and riding styles.

Remember that just about everyone thinks a board rides differently but they usually have at least a few similar characteristics. I always recomend trying a few either from friends or a demo program. Some dealers will let you rent with the price of the rental going towards the purchase of a board. Check into your options.

Without knowing much of the above and based on my preference to LF products I would suggest giving the 142 Trip a ride and go from there!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-08-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
[My Suggestion would be the O'brien Player 142. Seems like a LOT or everybody for that matter has been suggesting a Flex board. I am here to do the opposite of that and suggest a traditional foam board.

I have seen the O'brien Player really help a lot of people advance their riding, the board is easy to ride, very predictable, and super stable.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-08-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
depends on what kind of board you like.

i like a board on the looser side, so i ride a company severance and love it. tons of pop, great on edge, but is loose as hell when flat which makes it really fun to play around with.

if you like a more locked in board, the byerly assault is awesome. it has more pop then any other board ive ridden. but its way to locked down for my liking, you can still slide it around, but not as easily as my company board. that was the deal breaker for me on this board.
Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-08-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
I used my brothers board.
he had the 142 liquidforce/substance.

Im looking for a lighter board with a better pop and more loose.
Old     (jondextan)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-08-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
anybody here tried the CWB VIBE flex boards yet?
Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-09-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
up
Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Bump
Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-16-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Bump
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-16-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondextan View Post
anybody here tried the CWB VIBE flex boards yet?

Yes the Board is really nice, great for Cable and great for behind the boat.

We have had quite a few riders demo the Vibe at the Cable and everyone loves it, I would check out the Vibe for sure.

Fast,great pop and loose.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
The new 144 Faction is amazing.