Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    straightstich            10-28-2005, 2:28 PM Reply   
I currently have a Malibu Sunsetter LXI and am hoping to get into an O6 VLX to get away from the fire drill of pumps and bags on the cabin floor as well as mimimize use of the wedge.

Anyone out there have ideas for setting up an automatic ballast system to add 3-500 in each of the v-drive compartments and maybe an extra bag up front? Should I make it seperate from the current system or tie new bags into the factory system?

For those of you running 2500+ lbs. of weight and then 5-6 people, do you feel the Monsoon is sufficient?

I am new to the discussion board. Thanks for your help.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-28-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
Frank,

I have a ton of unused fly high fat sacs that were originally packaged as ballast systems. The sacs are in perfect shape but I broke up the systems because the pumps were of the old, slow variety. These sacs have three ports w/ connectors for a plumbed system. I am looking to get rid of them cheap. I also have several hundred feet of high quality hose from the systems that I want to get rid of. call or email me.

Jeff Fitzgerald
Cope and mcphetres Marine
408-248-7844
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-28-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
jon , what size sacs? any 1000lb locker sacs?
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       10-29-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
i have 600lb fat sacs, 400lb tube sacs, and side sacs which weigh 200lb each.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-30-2005, 6:20 PM Reply   
The monsoon is perfect. I did change the prop--I run 3000lbs++ and the wedge! Factory prop was OK--new prop planes out quicker.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-30-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
chuck, what size prop do you use for your vlx?
Old    straightstich            11-01-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
Chuck is you ballast the pump, sac, power from the cigarette lighter type or have you installed something else?
What size prop did you change to?
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-01-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
i went from a 13.5x16 prop, to a 14.25x14 OJ. Also the Ambush 13x15.5 is a great prop.
I have 4 factory tanks(1250 lbs.) 600lbs. lead, 500lbs.sac in the bow and 750lbs. sac on the rear seat---plus the wedge!!! The wake is LARGE!!
The OJ prop is the same that Jerry Nunn uses with around 5000lbs.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-01-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
Malibu advises not to put more than 75 lbs. on the floor of the rear lockers---otherwise I would just tie in to the existing plumbing and use 400lbs. sacs in the lockers---it is easy to do---I have a friend who did it in his X-Star.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       11-01-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
Frank, have you tried the new hull (05 or 06) with just the factory ballast and wedge. I have friends that had old VLX's and added weight to their boats. When they came over and rode behind mine with just stock they couldn't believe that it had no extra weight. The shape and firmness of the wake is where the new Malibus excel. I added just 300 lb.s to the bow and it works great to really clean the wake. IMO you don't need size when you got a great shape that pop's you hard ( unless you ride like Jerry 24 MPH an 85 off, then you might need a little more, but then again he uses a LSV).
Old    nightrider            11-09-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Chuck, tell me a little more about the performance of the boat when you changed your prop out! Did it plane out a lot quicker with all the weight? Im looking for improvment on my 2005 vlx when running high amounts of weight. Is it worth spending the money on to switch it out? Thanx
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-09-2005, 10:40 AM Reply   
Two cents for you. Almost every single off-the-shelf bag you find will be a compromise, and custom sacs are usually not MUCH more expensive.

I'm not familiar with your layout, but as an example, I might normally go with a pair of v-drive locker sacks in my v-drive locker and get 800 pounds under the hatch. Or...custom rectangular sacks that'd hold 1300 in the same compartments. Doubt there's be $50 difference between the custom set and a new off-the-shelf set despite 60% more capacity.

Lot of guys here have done custom sacks. If you're interested, just search around.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-09-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
either one of the props i mentioned will give you a better holeshot--plane out quicker. Way worth the money--you actually will save money in fuel.