Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (lka__supra24ssv)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-12-2008, 4:53 AM Reply   
I know I put my boat away too often with wet carpet, but does anyone have any ideas or suggestion on how to get rid of smelly carpet?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-12-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
To remove smells already in the carpet - power wash it at a local car wash. Get the nozzle an inch or so away. You will be surprised what will come flying out (be prepared to get soaked).
To keep it from happening again - I had similar issues. I didnt have power where I stored my boat and only the cover and a rickety piece of galvanized to keep the rain off. I went to Home Depot and got the industrial sized "Damp Rid". Its a 1/2 gallon pail of silica that absorbs moisture - no power needed. I would cover the boat with this pail under the steering column. It kept moisture under control. They have powered dehumidifiers too, and if I had a power option I would have went that way, but Damp Rid is a good alternative and its not that expensive.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-12-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have snap out carpet but your damp-rid sounds like a great 'winterization' idea for the seats as well.

I second the car wash idea. Hit it first with their carpet cleaner if they have that option, then rinse. It'll take awhile before all the foam is gone so take lots of quarters. Park it in the sun for the day with seats out. I just drape my carpet on the swim deck but same thing. Smells pretty good. Careful of electrical connections if going into the lockers--you may want to have the batteries off and not turn anything on till after drying for a few hours.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-12-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Similar to Ted's - I use a couple "Dry-Z-Air" dehumidifiers. They work great, just empty the water that collects in the trap below the pellets every so often. I put one in a V-drive locker and one in the middle of the floor when the cover is on. The pellets lasted about 4 or 5 months.

Also, don't get that water on anything when you pour it out as it seems to have some dissolved silica in it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Must be common in the Supras...
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/621854.html?1220558180
Old     (lettinit)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-12-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
Malibu sent me something in the mail, I believe was called spray and wash or something like that. Worked really well to get the stains and smell out.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
I 3rd the Damp Rid. I put it in my boat over the winter, even though I have my boat stored indoors. It collects a bunch of moisture from the seats, carpet, etc and helps keep things fresh.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-12-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
One more thing..
To keep the carpet from becoming smelly in the future, make sure all the beer goes into your mouth and not on the carpet
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Yes but if too much goes into your mouth some's gonna get on the carpet.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-12-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
Well I just snap the carpet out and hang it on the wall in the car wash and spray it with the pressure washer then rinse, Hang it out to dry and no more smell...
Old    wiz            09-13-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
my buddy gave me this tip: get a few barbeque pans that are @ 4 inches deep. ( u know, the ones made of aluminum foil at the grocery store) fill them with charcoal. space them thru the boat. it's basically a poor man's damp rid. it's awesome at sucking up moisture & bad smells.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       09-15-2008, 5:25 AM Reply   
I've had to deal with smelly carpet a few times due to getting stuck in the rain, and everything I've read says it's caused by bacteria and stuff in the carpet that needs eliminated. I've tried virtually every carpet cleaner I could find but only thing that I've found to work is a bleach solution. Dilute, saturate, scrub it in and power wash it out at the car wash.

I was worried about it removing color initially, but after reading a lot of threads on MalibuBoatOwners and other sites, I decided to give it a try. No issues and I've done it a handful of times with good results.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-15-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
for smells that you cant get rid of try "scoe10x" google it. Kind of pricey but works miracles.