Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
Just wondering why some of you guys like to ride tournaments whatever the kind (INT, grassroots, etc.) I really want to but I am having a hard time gettin myself pumped up to ride in the grassroots events around here. I am not very good, prob just ride the beginner level but I just keep coming up with excuses not to. One big one is I put enough pressure on myself free riding, I just don't think there would be any enjoyment ridin competitively. Let me know your thoughts...maybe ya'll can talk me into it...
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
Chad you will meet people who are as stoked about the sport just as much as you or more. Also it will help you push yourself more. By riding with people just as good as you or better. I came back to the comps after being away from them for more than 8 years and now I am super stoked to be back. Even though the kids are kicking my butt.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       07-31-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
I wouldnt call it putting pressure on your self, I would say it will give you more Drive. and its super fun
Old     (bamacpa)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-31-2008, 8:36 PM Reply   
Competitive riding is not for everyone. Like Squid said you get to be around people who share a love for the sport. My son has competed in the INT for two years, and you tend to form a bond with all the people on the tour.

Another benefit is it will push you and force you to be a better all around rider. I can usually spot a competitive rider by the tricks they can do. They will be able to do tricks from both sides of the wake, HS, TS and switch HS and TS. My son has competed for three years now and has a much larger bag of tricks than most who have riden twice that long. The more tricks you have the more fun it is.

Give it a try, you might just enjoy it.
Old    walt            07-31-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
Great people and good times.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-31-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
It made me better for sure....I still suck but I got better none the less. And what Allen said is tru I learned toe side becuase I got tired of giving up points to the other people.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2008, 10:07 PM Reply   
The actual riding itself is usually the worst part. Rough water and if you stand up, a pass takes less than 2 minutes. But luckily it's only 2 minutes of an entire day of hanging with people that are just as stoked on the sport as you. I've met some great friends, including my buddy who will probably be in my wedding if I ever get married. There is so much more than getting behind the boat and riding. Do it, they are a blast!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-31-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
I was nervous about going to my first contest, basically cuz i am not that good and would probably get destroyed by everyone... then I went, and had so much fun that it did not matter what place i got.. i tried a new trick (and slammed) that I probably would not have attempted if i went freeriding that day instead.

try it. you will either get hooked, or realize that its not for you.
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-31-2008, 11:27 PM Reply   
My freinds son is 13 and he was asking me qustions but i had no iddea really is he good enough to ride in tourneys and do ok. Hes got backroll, hs grab 180, every grab basically grabs both sides, ts/hs 180,
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-01-2008, 4:45 AM Reply   
Just a different side. But, I have seen some of the worst attitudes by riders at competitions. Very arrogant and rooting against each other. I realize not everyone is like this, but definitely one reason I am now not big on tourney's.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-01-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
Big Heavy hit it perfect. It's the people at the events, not the riding, that make it great. You get to spend the whole day with great people and 4 minutes riding in crappy water, sounds like a fair trade!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-01-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
why would you put pressure on yourself freeriding. That's like the opposite of freeriding...
Old     (pearsonville)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Chad, I will be 55 tomorrow.... I am riding at the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club Contest. You do not have to be great....just have fun. You can watch other riders and pick up a tweak or grab and say... I can do that... but if you never go watch and participate... you may never think of the trick. I ride against myself, and do not worry about the other riders... oh, yeah it is fun to win... but better to land your favorite tricks.
I always find everyone is cheering for everybody, and willing to give good advice... Ithas improved my riding and have made alot of good friends along the way. Aloha Joe
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-01-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
They are fun and you meet a lot of cool people who live close by and love the sport as much as you do. The DRA and INT comps in NorCal have brought so many riders and WWers in the area together I think

It's not really about the riding, most likely you will not ride as good as you do at home on your own boat (atleast I never do), but the experience is worth it and you get a chance to see what you can do when put on the spot as well as see what other riders are doing.
Old     (cfd313)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-02-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
thanks for the advice...I think i am goin to try it this weekend. we'll see how it goes
Old     (wakeboarddrumma)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-02-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
I've competed in two, and i personally don't think i'll compete again till i'm out of the beginner class.

The hardest part for me was the fact that i normally need to warm up when i ride. If i warmed up at a competition, i'd take half my pass just for warming up. I think it's cool to hang out, but at the same time, the last one i went to in june, the whole time i was wishing i was with my normal crew at our normal lake free riding.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-03-2008, 4:33 AM Reply   
It's kind of a rush. You have got 2 passes to throw down your best stuff in front of a crowd, ride the best you can. The extra adrenaline always make me go bigger in comps (at least it feels that way). If you have a good ride, you are pumped that you did it under that pressure. If not, you have something to aim for next time. Have fun, enjoy all the good company out there.