Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (k_chang)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-14-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
hi i'm thinking about entering some wake surf competitions..does anyone have any advice about how i can find out about upcoming competitions or clubs?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2007, 10:47 PM Reply   
Kimber,
The closest comp I think is in Ohio.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3320/430068.html?1181780871
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-15-2007, 8:50 PM Reply   
Kimber, Come on out to the Scioto Wakefest in Coulmbus, Ohio!! We'd love to see you here. See the Scioto Boat Club Wakefest web page or email me, see my profile.

You might take this board home with you :-)
Upload
Upload
Upload
That's right that'sa new 2007 Yellow Loogey!!!

I have over $2,000 in prizes and more on the way.
Old     (k_chang)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-16-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
ooooo...i'm going to try my hardest to be there! I might have a calendar conflict but i'll try to figure it out! Thanks for the info! my email is kimberiz@yahoo.com just in case
Old     (kitstocks)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Hey Kimber

Jeff walker and I are working together to get wakesurf comps in our area. It looks like the first comp might be in July 14 or Aug 11. Once things are final I will let you know.

Thanks
Kit Stocks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-20-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
In August 18th and 19th the National Wakeboard League is holding its National Championship in Dayton Ohio. Chris Walker invited me to add wakesurfing to this National level event. This will be the first year for wakesurfing at NWL Nationals.
They are: Men’s Advanced, Women’s Advanced, Intermediate, and Novice.

We will run Novice and Intermediate divisions on Saturday August 18th and the Advanced divisions on Sunday the 19th. All divisions will be run in double elimination heats. Advanced divisions will be required to demonstrate skills on both port and starboard wakes.

I’m also planning the Scioto Wakefest which will be held on July 7th and 8th and will be held in Columbus, Ohio. I’ll use lessons learned at Wakefest to judge and organize Nationals. Wakefest divisions are:

Novice Tricks - Speed control, turns, lip slide, float
Intermediate Tricks - Cut back, chop hop, tail drop, rocket, backside
Advanced Tricks - Unlimited

This year Jeff Walker introduced skim and surf style divisions. I don’t think that we’re going to separate skim and surf at Nationals this year. This event is open to all, but for a first year I’m expecting more of local to regional collection of talent.

What do you want in a National competition? I'm not expecting to meet everyone's needs and wants just looking for some suggestions and ideas.

I've been playing with a little art to promote the event, what do you think about the art?

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-21-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
What's with the horns? Ed, everyone knows that only wakeboarders have head horns! :-)

My wish list!

1) A practice session for all wakes that will be required to be ridden

2) Clear and concise rules published at least 2 weeks prior to the event, with contestant input (as here).

3) A riders meeting before the first event dedicated solely to the wakesurfing contestants.

4) A single boat, which can produce a similar wake both port and darkside, to be used for pulling the event. Port and darkside wakes to be within 80% of each other in height, length and transition.

5) Separate the divisions, and shape the wake to meet the preferences of the two styles.

6) If there will be no separation of styles:

a) allow the rider one on course speed change.

b) if an Enzo with a Blade will be used, CLEARLY explain to each rider how the blade settings work at the practice session and again in the riders meeting.

c) typically skim and surf styles have different wake preferences. Pick a shape, size and speed that doesn't favor either style. This seems inadequate, IMO, in a National Championship and likely will not result in determining the best rider.

d) In the rules, clearly spell out how repetitive tricks will be dealt with. Such that skim style riders that are able to throw 15 shuv's will only be scored on ONE of those and it will be their best iteration of that trick.

e) clearly spell out how amplitude will be dealt with between styles. For example two 4 inch fins will allow a rider to generate more air than a board with a single 1.5" fin. Riders should know if a 2 inch air on a skimstyle board will be equivalent to a 2 foot air on a surfstyle board OR if only the actual amplitude will be judged. The same comparative issues will be true on all tricks where fin depth is an issue.

7) 2000 foot course with last chance fall bouys clearly marking the last 150 feet. A minimum 15 foot depth.

8) CCTV camera projecting to a TV in a central area.

9) Watersports specific publications in attendance and covering this FIRST national championship.

AND

10) The oldest male contestant from the furthest distance automatically wins. :-)

Ed, I truly appreciate your efforts in bringing Wakesurfing to the NWL nationals. I also appreciate the insight and proactive approach that the NWL is showing in supporting the development of the sport.

Kudos to all involved.
Old    surfdad            06-21-2007, 8:47 AM Reply   
The Lake Washington Wakeboard Club in MN, puts on a nice contest each year. Both Wakeboarding and Wakesurfing. I just received their invitation via email:

The Lake Washington Wakeboard Club, in association with USA Wakeboard, a division of USA Water Ski, is hosting the sixth annual Lake Washington Wakeboard and fourth annual Wake Surf Competition open to riders of all ages and abilities. The event will be held at Westwood Marina on Lake Washington located outside of Mankato beginning at 8:00 A.M. on Wednesday, July 25, 2007. The 2007 Registration Packet is available on our website www.L2WC.com. For your convenience, we have attached the packet in .pdf format.

If you are planning to attend, and want to guarantee we have a t-shirt in your size, please make sure to have your entry forms to Candi by July 1, 2007.

For more information visit us on the web at www.L2WC.com or contact Candi at (952) 921-2101 or candi@L2wc.com. http://www.L2WC.com.

Sincerely,

The Lake Washington Wakeboard Club

I can't believe this picture was from just last year! James has grown a foot since this was taken:

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-21-2007, 9:06 AM Reply   
I knew I’d get a good reply from Jeff, other are certainly welcome. I few notes in reply to Jeff.

Maybe horned riders are Skim Style riders?

Since we're splitting the divisions across two days we should have plenty of time for practice.

Centurion is pulling the wakesurfing aspect of NWL Nationals, I need to speak to them about a few things.

I’ll work on rules; the starting point is what I have after the Scioto Wakerfest.

I’m not sure that I’m savvy or experienced enough to appreciate skim style wake preferences, but I’m a good listener.

We had a video feed at Wakefest last year. I’m not sure I’ll have the needed range for the Nationals site.

I think I can get someone older than Jeff out there but I’m not sure how to add the mileage. That’s not an invitation to Jeff to make up a distance and age rule!

I’ll work on the media.
Old    surfdad            06-21-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
I do believe I have heard some adjective used to describe Skim Style riders that had had something to do with Horned.

In setting up a wake for skim vs surf preferences, in relative comparison (generally):

SURF preferences:

Faster
Taller
Steeper
Crisper Lip

SKIM preferences:

NOT as fast
NOT as tall
A lip that allows quick and easy release of the board.

Those are general preferences, typical of the two different styles of riding.

If you've got Centurions, you'll be able to throw great wakes for everyone. I would think for the benefit of the boat sponsor you should give serious consideration to demonstrating the felxibility of the hull to accomodate the two significant styles of riding. Both the AVY and the Enzo can accomplish this.

This will PROBABLY come as a total surprize, but I am in favor of splitting the two divisions. :-)
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
I hope to see some new faces in that podium picture this year Jeff!

Me and some friends will be at Lake Washington this Sunday to dial in the enzo and better scout the course. I know where the deep water is but it is out of spectator range. Will you(prefferably James) be available the day before the event to do some surfing?
Old    surfdad            06-21-2007, 8:02 PM Reply   
Jason, we'd love to (James comes with a set of parents :-) ). If you let me fill up your boat, can we ride a goodly part of the day? I haven't booked our travel plans yet, so I'm sure we can be there to ride that Enzo. Thanks for the invite.
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 9:05 PM Reply   
Looking forward to it! After seeing you guys ride those boards last year I could never ride a pop out again. So I had some "stix" imported to the mid-west!

So far I have had the best results with my starboard wake with the blade off the boat. With the blade on it tends to throw the roost to that side and into ones face. Probably only tried it twice though. Plenty of time to get it dialed in. Should maybe start riding that side so I don't embarrass myself!
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if there are any comps here in Washington??? I would like to try entering one but i can't fly across country for a comp.
Old    surfdad            06-22-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
I know that the folks from Inland were encouraging the development of a contest up there. You might check with Mark Sher or Jeff Page.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
Thanks. My brother in law is friends with Mark maybe he can get me some info.and maybe a ride with them also. I know i could learn a lot form them.
Old    surfdad            06-22-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
Micheal,

Just to plant a seed, we are developing wakesurfing contest under the sanction of the NWL. They are great people and there are a TON of folks that would like the exposure through a contest. If you'd be interested in starting your own club or staging a contest I can connect you with the right folks.
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       06-22-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Since I am just starting this year and getting people interested in the sport. I think by the end of the year i will look at starting a club. I have a good start to a crew but the only person i know who has wakesurfed has not made it out with me yet. We are all beginners.

Currently I am the only one in my group who can free ride for more then 5 seconds. I am getting better and better every time i go though. I would like to ride with some more advanced people to learn a little more.

I will defiantly contact you when i am ready to start a club. Thanks.