Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-21-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
has anybody use or currently use this?
are they good or just a pain in the arse?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-21-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
I use mine all the time, it's great.
Old     (dmontandon)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-21-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Grrrreat!!! Totally no hassle...
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-21-2006, 7:18 PM Reply   
I just bought a boat with a body buddy.

Can someone give me an idea how it works?

To release it, do you pull the pin away from the boat into the notch???

How do you set it to automatically catch the bow eye??

thanks
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-21-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
The pin has two settings....
When putting the boat in the water, pull pin and have the handle thingy towards your vehicle.
When pulling the boat OUT of the water, set the pin in the opposite direction, (boat side).

I thought it was silly at first too but you can back down the ramp, have your driver drive onto the trailer, listen for the click and just drive away. It's pretty sweet!
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-21-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
It's a little tricky at first, you've really got to have the trailer at the right depth to be able to just drive on(mine at least). But once you've got it figured out it's sweet. Always seems to impress the fisherman too, when we drive right onto the trailer and drive away without ever getting out of the truck or the boat.
Old     (jhoward)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-21-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
Wife bent one while I was away, got it replaced and then did again while I was gone. Dam women, she's lucky I love her.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-21-2006, 11:08 PM Reply   
They are the best. Pulling out of the ramp blows people away, its great.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
Mines a bit mangled... but it works.
Old     (x2fanatic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
I love to watch people stare at us as we pull away when docking. It's always amazing to see the bayliner owners go "What was that?"
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-24-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
I know i just mentioned this but... Is anyone else's rubber material on the stop all torn apart and mangled from the bow eye hitting into it if it is not dead center? I am getting a bit worried that one of these days the metal will scrape the gel coat when we're putting it on the trailer.

Also, on our X1 the hull of the boat does not always rest right against the boat buddy once the boat is pulled out of the water, allowing some play in the front even after it is winched down. Anyone else having this problem or suggestions to offer?? I can post pics if it would help.

thanks guys
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-25-2006, 7:49 AM Reply   
have had the same thing happen. I've found that on the new pickle fork boats it's harder to hit it dead center. With our 01 X star it took 3 years before the boat buddy looked mangled. With the picle fork the can get mangled in one season.

you should change it out if it's starting to show metal
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-25-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
I dock my houseboat right opposite the launch ramp and have front row seats to all the happenings on the ramp.

There are people that really have their act together, and there are those that don't. I have seen a lot of people with the boat buddy. Some have their act together, some don't.

If you have your act together the boat buddy will work great. Like others have said when you have it down it is just drive up and your done.

I have also seen people really mess up. It does require that you hit the "V" of the boat buddy within a couple of inches. If you miss it totally you can really mess up the bow of your boat. You also have to remember to have the pin in the "cocked" position. I have never used one myself but watching the ramp I have the impression that a near miss can trigger the release pin and now it is closed which will block your next attempt.