Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2006, 5:30 PM Reply   
So I bought the Trojan T105's everyone raves about here. Problem is they dont have a normal post terminals - Did everyone just whack off the end of the stock posts lugs and put 2gauge cable lugs on the end? instead? Adam, I know you run this setup... I looked at the pic of your setup but couldnt determine how you did it...

(Message edited by clayton191 on June 25, 2006)
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-25-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Better Idea - I've marked what AC is using on his setup. Are those a special kind of connector? Could i use a standard lug instead of the 'post terminal' type that I currently have? Which means I would have to cut them off of my current wiring.

Upload

My factory setup has normal post-type connectors on the wires. Just wanting to know what I need to use. Sorry for the confusion. I never seem to know the apropriate names for anything.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-25-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
You will need to use ring lugs instead of post type terminals. You will most likely need to cut off your stock ends and solder on lug terminals. The ones in the picture of Adams uses set screw lugs, I prefer solder on lugs with shrink wrap over the ends. Might not look quite as nice but it makes a better electrical connection.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-26-2006, 7:38 AM Reply   
do you guys have those things in a battery box or pan? If not don't you worry about them leaking. I have 6 of them in my golf cart and they boil over when they are charged. I would guess they probably don't get that much charge from an alternator but I would still worry.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
Stan, mine batteries or on a "tray" made of resined plywood. Mine have never leaked, I've never even had to add water in the year that I've had them. I really never send a very large charge to them,aside from the alt (105 amp) this could be the reason.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-26-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
I am in the process of building a tray - Adam / Mike, would you recommend resining the tray I am working on? I am just using some leftover MDF. I didnt think I would need to make it too fancy....

Mike, thanks for the info - I'll cut off the stock and solder on some lugs. They make "converters" for lugs to post-type so I can use those if I ever go back to regular batteries.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-26-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
I just bought a couple battery boxes identical to the stock Nautique battery box for $10 each and screwed them straight to the floor with stainless steel #10 screws just like the factory does. This provides protection so I can toss my wet life jackets on top without risking battery acid damage to my gear.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
IMO the battery boxes for the golf cart batteries are big and bulky and waste too much space. I don't know how well resined wood would hold up against bttery acid? In my case a tray works better for space concerns. My batteries are in the observers side storage and I dont; put much stuff in there to begine with; I use other speaces on my baot that are easier to get to and provide enough storage.