Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2009, 10:05 AM Reply   
We were at mead last week and had to go through some pretty rough stuff to cross the lake. 6 adults and 2 kids, full tank of gas, no wedge or ballast in use. Our Tige was easy to ajdust with the TAPS to get the optimal ride considering it's a V drive. Should I be filling the belly ballast or have the wedge (Manual) down to help? I would prefer not to fill the bow ballast since it's so rough I'm affraid I will crack the tank or fiberlgass tub it's sitting in.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2009, 11:30 AM Reply   
You're driving a tournament wake boat in chop. I don't think anything is going to make that ride better. These boats just arn't made for rough water. Their hulls are shaped for big wakes at low speed, and small wakes at high speeds. Little consideration is put into cutting rough water.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
Thanks for the great advise there Bu Coo. What was I thinking. I'm selling it today and getting a Bayliner. Seriously, I understand but I was able to at least make some some adjustments with the Tige to help.. slightly...I'm just asking if anyone knows from experience that a full center ballast will cut through better or having the wedge down will help.... That's all.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-21-2009, 11:48 AM Reply   
The ballast and wedge won't really help. If you're traveling with the waves you want the bow up so people all at the back. If you're traveling into the waves you want the bow down so people up near the windscreen.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Garret filling the midship mls tank helps alot when in choppy water.
Old     (bucnoles)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
We usually just leave the front ballast full.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
I have a VLX, but always fill the bow ballast if I'm traveling across a big lake to get to where we ride. With a Tige, putting your taps at 1 would lower the nose of the boat, filling the bow ballast will do the same thing. And you'd probably have to hit something to crack the tank or fiberglass...
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-21-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
i have a 08 lsv and when u take it out on the lake michigan, it feels like its going to split in half
Old     (todd34)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-21-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
I have an 04 23LSV and usually fill both rear tanks when we have to cross rough water. It keeps the bow up and seems to ease the beating a bit. I haven't tried the midship ballast yet because it is on the same switch as my bow ballast. I'll give it a go after I add a separate switch this weekend.

Todd
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-21-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Thanks guys for the advise. It lounds like there are a couple varitions that might help. I didn't even think about ballast adjustments ntil I was off the lake. I have a seperate switch for the midship and bow so I could try one or both.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-21-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
I kept my center ballast full, and emptied the rear. If felt more "solid".
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-22-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
In out 07 23 we filled about 1/2 way with a full boat and it felt a lot better.....
Old     (wackbag)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-23-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
When you used taps on your tige you pushed the bow down. So filling your front/Mid ballast tanks will do the same thing. I would leave the rear empty and try that next time. It will help push the keel into the water and take some of the beating away.