Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-27-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
Ive been over to the St. John's a few times and it's rad. Imagine 50, 60 even a hundred wake boat's going up the St. John's all the way to Jacksonville and back for a weekend. I always here about these wakefests in other parts of the country but none that I know of in Florida. I would like some input on this as to who think's they would like to do an event like this. Im thinking early spring to kick the season off. April or May sometime. If I can get some feed back I would most definitely try to make all the arrangement's.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-27-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
I would be done to bring my boat to something liek this!! Jacksonville is a little far for most of the florida wakeboarders (orlando)... im in st. petersburg so my vote would be for tampa or orlando (only a few hours drive from everywhere and some of the nicest lakes)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-28-2006, 4:43 AM Reply   
The Idea is the river run. It goes for miles. We could do it on a lake but then your confined. If we go up the river it is more likely to get noticed. That's what we want to promote our sport. Every one would trailer their boat's up friday evening or saturday morning. We would head up the river about 11am to Jacksonville stay Saturday night and come back Sunday. Im currently looking at lodging.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-28-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Duffy, I think it is a good idea, but I prefer to have everyone meet at Lake George. The Jacksonville area could come down and the Central Fla riders could travel up. With that many boats, it could get bad in the no wake zones on the St. Johns. Or we could do it in the Winter Haven Chain. There are more hotels in Winter Haven than places on the river.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-28-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Well I was also thinking of the chain. Its just that parking is limited and the ramp over by the restaurant is really shallow. The parking is good and the ramp is good but it's real shallow over there. I had a hard time there mid summer.
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-28-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
On memorial weekend I trailered from Altamonte springs(north orlando) area to Astor, rode up the river from Astor to Silver glen, cool scenery, like 3 or 4 manatee zones, I think it was like an hour plus just cruising.Inside of the Glenn there were scary amounts of rangers pulling every other boat over; Outside of the Glen, way better, it was going off, floating pontoon stages with bands,boats tied off, what about something like that, were there is already a party atmosphere established ? Just bring our wakeboard boat brigade....you get your scenic cruise and a chill'in session at a party on the water.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-28-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
I'm in!!

I got a buddy that married a chick from crystal river. He's always raving about it. I'll ask him how feasible it would be. He's got a saltwater boat though. I used to meet him on the hillborough river and we would head over to rattelfish raw bar on the gulf.

St Johns sounds great.

The canals in the chains were low a few weeks ago I don't know what it will be like in the spring (guess it depends on rainfall)
I put in on lake ship(i think) because the 2 boat ramps I used as a kid are GONE. I could tell was low because the cement ramp stopped 2 feet short of the water. Thank god for 4 wheel drive. Had no problems backing in but you should have seen all the trucks spinning out trying to get their bass boats out. I yanked out one of those ranger boats for a guy.

Just a thought about the chain...if the water is up would have to lower your tower to fit under some of the bridges???

I saw a ton of wakeboard boats on the chain I'm sure someone on the forum lives there.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-28-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Im not sure that as many peopel want to go for a big scenic tour once on the water... Most wakefests are kinda like... find a big lake, anchor up, and ride all day...... So I say the goal would be to find the biggest lake with the nicest launchs and stuff... IMO
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-29-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Right on Im feelin you guy's. So the St. Johns is fun but definitely a lot of police. I can vouch for the chain there will not be much problem getting under the bridges even if the waters up because their high. Im talking about the Cypress Garden Chain in Winter Haven. I even know a few people and might be able to get a couple of bands out there for an event. Yes Lake Ship is low right now but hopefully by spring it will be up because it really is a nice ramp otherwise. I think 5-6 boats can launch at one time plus plenty of parking. Just keep the suggestions coming I would really like to do something like this.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-29-2006, 6:49 AM Reply   
I live in Winter Haven and the canals are low due to little rain this past summer. But when spring hits, they will be back up. There are plenty of boat ramps and parking places all over the chain. Lake Ship has two ramps with a lot of parking, Lake Summit has one with ok parking, and there are more if needed. We also have Lake Roy Inn that has 33 rooms with beach parking for boats with ramp as well. Just because its low now doesnt mean we'll have any problems in the spring. Since I live here and Duffy's close, I would be willing to help out any way I can. Plus there are a few WW posters that live here in Winter Haven that I can get to help.

BTW, sometimes the water level does get high enough where you have to take down your tower to get into/out of some lakes....

Here is the info on Lake Roy Inn. If we get enough people to rent the same weekend, maybe we can get a Wakeworld Discount, lol...

http://www.lakeroybeachinn.com/home.html
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
I don't think it matters where you are located, the long weekends can be harassment central.

Having done the Orlando to Jax ride 6 times, a better stop is Astor. The river is too wide and choppy once you are north of Lake George. The Orlando-Astor ride is killer.

I have a place in Astor. The key to the St. Johns River is to avoid the the 3-day holiday weekends. During "normal" weekends you see a lot less of the various water patrols even at the Glen. You will also have better availability of hotel rooms, camping and house boat rentals.

Mix it up, a day at the Glen and a floatilla boarding party the next day on a narrower part of the the river where you have good water.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-29-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
I agree we need to do the event on a non holiday weekend.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-29-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Also where do you put in to go from Orlando to Astor? How long does it take? I guess we will just have to keep feelin it out.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-29-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
There is a ramp just off I4 in Sanford on Lake Monroe that is very convenient. Its on the south shore almost below the overpass. I'm sure there are others in town.
Old     (jgrunow)      Join Date: May 2004       12-29-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
I'm in....lets get it going....all the places listed above are good....I liked the Lake Leroy in idea.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-29-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Byrd.

When I was a kid there was only one ramp on lake ship. And I sure didn't remember the restaurant. I put in at the old ramp. The new ramp next to the restaurant is much nicer with lots of parking. Kind of neat to pull up next to restaurant on your boat too. Food wasn't bad either.

Chris has a great point. I'm a new boater (inboaard that is...what a pain to steer)so it all sounds appealing to me.

TIm raises good point also. I know a guy that got a DUI on Lake Lanier last year. That's just wrong!!!!

Will show up anywhere you guys decide, but stay away from the three day weekends and any place known to have boats with those flashy red and blue lights.

Another question for guys on the chain...Any chance at renting a house on the water???? This would open up some options in addition to the hotel. Could cater some food, band, bathroom stop for the ladies(from the other thread).....just a thought
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-29-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
just looked at the site for lake roy inn. The price is right and unlike a house no one has to clean up.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-30-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
There are other places to stay near the lake's as well. Like I mentioned above I think I can get a band or two out there. The restaurant has a designated place outside for live band's. It would be ideal though to get a pontoon and have them play at the end of the dock's in front of the restaurant.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-30-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Vince, the restaurant you are talking about is The Harborside. Funny name for a Rest on the lake, but oh well...I will look over some contest schedules, etc. to see when would be a off weekend for other wakeboard events and we'll pick a date.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-30-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
sounds great.
Let me know how I can help
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-02-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
How safe is it to leave your 45K truck and 10K trailer parked over night at one of these ramps ?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
I never had a problem but you never know about these things. The old standard rules apply, keep valuables out of sight, pay your insurance and don't worry about the rest.

Are trailers now at the 10K mark? I paid 2,500 for mine in 2001.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2007, 10:14 AM Reply   
Chain of Lakes Winter Haven. My .02
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-02-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
You know Im in. I can get other boats as well. I like the Orlando to Astor idea, sounds like a cool ride.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
Here's an old aerial photo of Silver Glen Springs on Memorial Weekend. Those were the days. They no longer allow alcohol in the springs so now there is a big party at the entrance. Now I always bring along some plastic cups as camoflauge and never get hassled. But come to think of it, I also have fewer topless girls aboard.

Upload

(Message edited by srock on January 02, 2007)

(Message edited by srock on January 02, 2007)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
Byrd has a boat ramp in his neighborhood on the Chain, with a empty lot next to it. We could all stay at his house use his ramp and sister (Borat) sorry couldnt help it. What da ya say Byrd?
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-02-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
I think anywhere in the Florida chain of lakes would be good.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2007, 6:09 AM Reply   
Dave Briscoe aka Wet Rooster is a friend of mine. He has done or been part of things like this for a long time. I will get his thoughts on this as well.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-03-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
I love the response I'm getting I have been wanting to do something like this for 3 years now it would be nice for it to finally come together.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-03-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
I like this idea too, I'm in SE FL and have always wanted to take my boat to O-town for some riding. I like the idea better of being in one place, not cruising. When cruising you will only be chillin' with the people in your own boat, and I'm tired of them!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-03-2007, 8:08 AM Reply   
Once we get the time and place nailed down, we need to get the word out. Not all Florida Wakeboarders use this site (not really sure why -should have to register when a board is purchased imo - anyway...)Bliss, OWC, Performance, Land OL akes, Ski Boat Solutions - all of these shops could help get the word out.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
Dont forget WalMarts and Piggly Wigglys !!!
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-03-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Have it in Winter Haven and I can organize some riders and some boats....come on Byrd, Billy and Duffy...get it all organized....just need some water in the lakes to get around but we could make it a good event!!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Do you know any good Rain Dances? My legs hurt.
Old     (laidback)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-03-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
I agree with Ted. This site is a huge help, especially for us newbies to wakeboats. i.e. my freakin' dilemma with the wiring harness for my land rover

as far as getting the word out. I could ask the MC dealer in Land O Lakes to put up a flyer or something. I think there is a boat show in Tampa 1/18-1/21 If a date and place are nailed down I can ask him to post flyer there as well.

I know MC has a website for owners. I am sure the other brands have websites also. Posting there may be a good idea as well.

I'm gettin' old! It seems most of the guys that got me in boating and skiing when I was a kid are now out of the sport. Mortgages and kids. The rest are into the 50' and above boats now and would rather drink and watch satellite.

Is there a ski mag in Fl? if so I'll pay for an ad.

Let me know how I can help.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-04-2007, 3:41 AM Reply   
Like Zane has the pull to organize riders and boats...
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
How bout the first week in April? The only reason I say that is I'm driving down from IL to pick up the boat and bring it home. I could try for the farthest drive.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-04-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
What's up Dreev's I was going to call you and talk about some of this when I get it more solid.

What's up Zane man how was your trip?

So Ive talked to some friend's who have band's well known in the Tampa area and they may be interested depending on the dates.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2007, 3:35 AM Reply   
Ive got a T shirt, signs and banner guy, a marketing department with time on their hands and two attorneys if we need any legal stuff done. Let me know what I can do to help out. Lets make it big.
Duffy - I really dont read anything on here unless it has Florida in the title...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2007, 6:48 AM Reply   
Travis, who in the hell is this Zane dude? Also, do you know anyone who could even drive a boat for such an event?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
There is a MC and CC dealer in Winter Haven area, I will see what they can do if anything. Duffy, Byrd lets set a time to figure this out.I think Zane said he could give out TONS of free crap as well.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-05-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
The first thing we need to do is pick a date that dosent conflict with any contests or boat shows. Anyone have a schedule of all the wakeboard events?
Old     (zaneschwenk)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-05-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Travis...nice...HAHAHA..guess you are in for doing the vent then since you are chiming in huh? HAHA Duffy trips were good heading out all winter to shows...but home in the middle of the week and this weekend actually!! Here's the PWT schedule and some other events...there's always things going on but earlier in April is usually better!!

2007 King of Wake/Wakeboard World Cup schedule

Dates City Site Location Event

April 26-29 Orlando, FL Orlando Watersports Complex (Wake Games)

May 18-20 Acworth, GA Dallas Landing/Lake Allatoona (Pro Tour)

June 1-3 Fort Worth, TX Moser Lake (Pro Tour)

June 16-17 Twin Cities, MN Island Lake (Pro Tour)

June 20-24 Kenosha, WI Prairie Springs Park (WWA Nationals)

July 7-9 Kelowna, BC, Canada Waterfront Park (Pro Tour)

July 21-22 Portland, OR Blue Lake Park (Pro Tour)

August 23-26 Reno, NV Sparks Marina (WWA Worlds)

Sept. 1-2 Alberta, Canada site tba (Canadian Invitational)

Dates TBA Mexico site tba (Pro Am)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-05-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
How does the weekends of March 30th or April 7th or April 14th sound to everyone? Which would be better? Now is the time to chime in, we dont want to hear any BS later, lol...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-05-2007, 12:59 PM Reply   
April 14th good here. I think 3-30 is some other O-town event.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-05-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
April 14 sounds good.
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-05-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
If an out of state guy who would like to attend has a vote, the 30th works for me. I'm also a rep for UGP in IL, so I'll see if I can get Todd to kick down some product to support the event if you're looking for swag. Don't worry, I'll still do that even if you don't plan the event around my schedule.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-06-2007, 8:06 AM Reply   
I might be able to pull a boat or two together.

Ted, I'll be at weir next weekend.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-07-2007, 8:10 PM Reply   
I can round up some riders and some boats.... Lets get this thing set!!

Zane ur the man!!!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-08-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
Tim - Ill be in Breckenridge next weekend - you are more than welcome to join us out there though! Ill be back on Weir the weekend after.