Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-08-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
How cool is this first day leaderboard!!!!

Are you kidding...Couples, Watson, Lyle....
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-08-2010, 4:13 PM Reply   
And what do you know Tiger is at -4 with 1 to play. Rusty indeed....
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
story of the decade when tiger wins the tourney??
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-08-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
I prefer the US or British Open where these guys have to really fight every hole. These guys are so good and even given the wonderful history and beauty of the Masters I don't really want to see 20 guys ripping the course to shreds. What are we heading for if we have benign conditions all weekend? 20 under?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-08-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
US Open is my favorite as far as watching a challenge. This is just tradition.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
It seems every year one of the elder statesman jumps out or has a couple good days then tires before the finish. I think its great that Tiger is playing well, thats one hell of a mentally tough dude. I love the Masters and US but dont much care for the British. Its always ugly on ugly courses.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
"These guys are so good and even given the wonderful history and beauty of the Masters I don't really want to see 20 guys ripping the course to shreds. What are we heading for if we have benign conditions all weekend? 20 under?"

I don't think so. The course was wet and the pins were really accessible. The greens are the key at Augusta. Expect them to dry out and harden up and scores to rise. Another factor is actually being in contention at the Masters on Saturday and Sunday, puts a lot of pressure on guys and makes it even more difficult. I predict the winning score to be less than 10 under.

"but dont much care for the British. Its always ugly on ugly courses."

It is just different. Most of the courses in the Open rotation are at least a century old, and the conditions are different, the emphasis is more on a variety of shot making. You'll see guys putting from 20 + yards off the green (almost a rarity on the PGA Tour), 5 irons for 145 yd shots, and bunker shots where guys have no choice but to play in the opposite direction of the green. The emphasis is not as strong on a immaculately manicured course in Europe. I think it is unique as you see most of the American pros having to modify their typical game in order to score. And to see a 30 MPH constantly blow on a treeless course reek havoc on the pros is entertaining.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
"These guys are so good and even given the wonderful history and beauty of the Masters I don't really want to see 20 guys ripping the course to shreds. What are we heading for if we have benign conditions all weekend? 20 under?"

I don't think so. The course was wet and the pins were really accessible. The greens are the key at Augusta. Expect them to dry out and harden up and scores to rise. Another factor is actually being in contention at the Masters on Saturday and Sunday, puts a lot of pressure on guys and makes it even more difficult. I predict the winning score to be less than 10 under.

It is just different. Most of the courses in the Open rotation are at least a century old, and the conditions are different, the emphasis is more on a variety of shot making. You'll see guys putting from 20 + yards off the green (almost a rarity on the PGA Tour), 5 irons for 145 yd shots, and bunker shots where guys have no choice but to play in the opposite direction of the green. The emphasis is not as strong on a immaculately manicured course in Europe. I think it is unique as you see most of the American pros having to modify their typical game in order to score. And to see a 30 MPH constantly blow on a treeless course reek havoc on the pros is entertaining.
which makes what John Daly did at St. Andrews in '95 that much more impressive.
the us open, the masters, and the british are the only tourneys I will watch on tv.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yep, on Sunday when the greens are rolling at 85 and the pins are 2 inches from the back edge of the green on a downhill slope you are not gonna see scoring like this...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-09-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Great to have Tiger back playing golf, now I will actually watch Golf again.
Golf was just not the same for me without the number 1 player.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   

They are links courses. They are not going to be picturesque and when the wind blows across them it becomes a titanic battle. I love to see that.

And yesterday the Masters was meant to be so tough with that storm rolling in and the wind picking up. Granted,it missed them in the end but even when the wind was blowing it didn't seem to affect anybody. Also when the greens got a bit of water it seemed to make the putting harder not easier.

We'll see what happens when they quicken up. Wish Els had stayed at 3 under.

There are so many guys in the hunt. That will prob open up by end of tomorrow.

Woods,Mickelson are probably gonna be the ones to beat.......?
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-09-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
I put my money on Tiger to win in the office pool here at work. Not sure if he can pull it off but I would like to see it happen.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
Oh, I hope Tiger wins too... Why not? What he did, who he did, why he did it has zero carry over to him on the course IMO
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Lol,Sandy Lyle. 3 under after day one. 11 over after day 2. Brutal game!!
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Tiger is -6 after 36. Just two strokes off the lead.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-09-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Chris, all the tees were up yesterday and most of the pins were in locations you could get at. That's why the scores were so low. Today was a different story and the scores reflect it. It will get progressively harder as the weekend goes on. No water on the greens and no rain in the forecast means those greens will be like pool tables by Sunday afternoon. It takes a combination of big balls and patience to win the Masters. Knowing which one to use and when to use it is the key. It's the greatest major championship IMO, and my favorite one to play in.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Yeah,I think it's the one every golfer wants to win. Was really hoping Els could keep it together. He seems to have this startling propensity to come home in an ambulance. Even at the Bay Hill,which he won, he stumbled home.
Westwood and Poulter are also 2 guys who never seem to be able to get the job finished.
Watch them prove me wrong.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2010, 3:23 PM Reply   
back-to-back eagles??? mickelson is on fire!!! but woods is still in the hunt, as is couples! should be a heck of a final day at the masters tomorrow...and i hate watching golf on tv!
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-10-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
I was wrong. Billy Payne put a little water on those greens. I can't believe the scoring today. The roars are back at Augusta!

Agreed Joe, should be a great finish tomorrow.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-10-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
Going to be an outstanding Sunday !!! I hope phil can keep it up , but his history is not too promising.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
Mickelson, Or Woods if he starts well and gets early momentum.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   
"I hope phil can keep it up , but his history is not too promising"
???

Thought it would be Mickelson if Woods couldn't get any traction. Testament to how good Woods actually is that he was struggling from his very first tee shot yet still managed fourth. Credit to Westwood for never giving up. He needs to win a major to get that self belief that he is good enough. Easier said than done obviously Sort of a catch 22. Mickelson became a different player after he won the Masters in '04. Now won 4 majors in 6 years.
He has became a real threat at every Masters. He wasn't even playing well coming in.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       04-12-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
I was rooting for Tiger until the trantrums started. His "come on Tiger" comments, throwing clubs, and entire demeanor made me start rooting against him. After all that, he ties for 4th after being basically out of golf for several months and all he can say is his game was crap. He is still a self centered baby
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
^ C'mon.... I don't know if you've ever played golf but frustration is the 2nd more important part of it.... I don't blame him, you know he wants to win them all, but winning this one would have been HUGE.

I wished he would have taken it, but being in the running after such a break is still pretty amazing
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
Frustration may be the 2nd most important thing, but containing it and being a professional must be the first then. And the others seem to find a way to do it, yet he can't...........
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-12-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordave View Post
I was rooting for Tiger until the trantrums started. His "come on Tiger" comments, throwing clubs, and entire demeanor made me start rooting against him. After all that, he ties for 4th after being basically out of golf for several months and all he can say is his game was crap. He is still a self centered baby
1)I don't get why people are making such a big deal about his tantrums. If you don't want to hear him don't stick a mic in his face. I'm sure others do it all the time, we just don't hear/see it. The stations broadcasting know Tiger is going to be vocal with his emotions when he plays so they stick a mic in his face.

2) Again what's the big deal out of making such a fuss about Tiger being angry for not winning? All the best golfers in the world enter tourny's to win. They'd all be disappointed if they didn't win as well. Tiger played like **** for almost all of the tourny, if he would have brought his A game he would have won. He knows it and that's why he was so frustrated.

For all of you Tiger haters out there. Would golf be anywhere near what it is today without him?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-12-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
Is there a defending Tiger class online somewhere? Why do people defend him as much as people hate on him? And it's always the same arguements/points. You're defending him acting unprofessional because, I really don't know why, but I gather that he's the only one the mic picks up? Really? Do they put the mic's in the trees to solely pick up Tiger? Or is he the only one unprofessional enough to get picked up on those mic's? No, golf would not be where it is today. Not an excuse for poor behavior though, if anything it's proof that he needs to NOT throw the tantrums. There was a thread on here a while back where a golf pro at a club chimed in on how he'd watched younger golfers transformed over the years into whining, club throwing, emotional mini Tigers just over the past few years, and how it seemed to ruin golf for them and everyone around.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-12-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
All of you talking about Tiger throwing clubs, I have only seen him either throw the club towards his bag (from a shortish distance) or drop it right at his feet. I have never seen him send a club into a 20 yd orbit. Pros before have done this, pros will do this after Tiger's career is over. I've seen pros toss clubs into water hazards (Villegas is one), but have you ever seen Tiger do this? I heard Jim Furyk cussing last season on mic.

Tiger to me doesn't whine. He accepts responsibility for his poor play, unlike Sergio Garcia in the 2007 Open. Tiger is more hard on himself than any other professional golfer. Tiger brings intensity to the game. Fist pumps were not the norm on the tour before Tiger. I mean it's like you guys want Tiger to be intense when he is playing solid and making the miraculous shot, but you want him to turn off that intensity when he hits a poor shot. And yes, the mics and the cameras are on Tiger more than any other golfer throughout the week.

The tour, collectively, has more of a negative effect on amateur players that blaming that solely on Tiger. Slow play is getting worse on public courses, and this is because the 30 handicapper wants to follow the same routine as some tour player trying to win a million dollar event.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-12-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sordave View Post
all he can say is his game was crap. He is still a self centered baby
What is he supposed to do, blame his poor play on something/someone else and say its not his fault, like it seems most people do these days? I'd rather be a self-centered baby who owns up to the fact that I didn't do my best, than make excuses why.

That shot Mickelson made on 13 through the trees was incredible. Soon as he made that shot, I had a feeling he was going to run with it and win. I was really hoping Westwood would win though, i mean three third place finishes in the last six majors, and 0-51? He needs to get one under his belt.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-12-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
How about it if stops spitting and blaspheming on the course?? A lot of people were and will be watching golf, long before and long after Tiger. I don't watch the Majors to see what Woods is up to. The US tv channels seem to think so though.

He is a great,great golfer. A one in a million. If he showed a bit more humility or was slightly more gracious people would like him a lot more. Not that he cares.

If anybody else behaved like him they would be pilloried. By absolutely everybody!! We make allowances for genius though.................
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-12-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
"I don't watch the Majors to see what Woods is up to. The US tv channels seem to think so though."

unfortunately, the ratings prove otherwise. without tiger in contention, most folks would rather be playing golf and not watching it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
funny how someone's tantrums ON TV pisses someone off that much. if only whining golfers could see all the whining and bitching on wakeworld, they'd laugh their asses off and say, "damn, i gotta step up my whining to wakeworld level!"

whining, tantrums...whatever! there were some sick shots over the weekend! part of me was rooting for tiger since it would've been a fitting return, but most of me was rooting for fred couples.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-12-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
The thing is a lot of golfers do whine and complain just as much as Tiger only he gets 90% of TV time. Pat Perez threw a club a good 20 yards on Thursday but nothing is said about that. And also you do hear some complaining and whining and cussing from other golfers but Verne and Jim Nance don't point out every curse word unless it comes out of Tiger's mouth.