Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-07-2010, 11:53 AM Reply   
As I get more into photography I'd like to have my hi-res photos stored online for friends and family to access. There are plenty of free sites out there, but you are limited to the size and amount of photos/videos you upload.

There are other sites that have no limits, but there is an annual fee. So far I've looked at Smugmug ($59.99 yr) and Photobucket ($24.99 yr). Do any of you have a preference or opinions on which site out there offers the most bang for the buck?

I'm not a professional or commercial photographer; this is purely for friends and family, so I do not need certain features like the ability to sell photos, etc. Any advice will be appreciated!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-09-2010, 2:04 AM Reply   
Personally I use: http://www.flickr.com/ (owned by yahoo)

The free account might work for you and then you can upgrade later to a PRO account for just $24.95/year

What do I get with a Pro account?

When you upgrade to a Pro account for just US$24.95 a year (or R$45.90 if you’re in Brazil ) you get all this:

* Unlimited photo uploads (20MB per photo)
* Unlimited video uploads (90 seconds max, 500MB per video)
* The ability to show HD Video
* Unlimited storage
* Unlimited bandwidth
* Archiving of high-resolution original images
* The ability to replace a photo
* Post any of your photos or videos in up to 60 group pools
* Ad-free browsing and sharing
* View count and referrer statistics

Compare that to what you get with a Free Account:

* 100 MB monthly photo upload limit (10MB per photo)
* 2 video uploads each month (90 seconds max, 150MB per video)
* Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
* Post any of your photos in up to 10 group pools
* Only smaller (resized) images accessible (though the originals are saved in case you upgrade later)
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
I've been playing around with a trial subscription on Zenfolio. It's about double the $$$ than Flickr, but I think I like the layout better. You can customize your home page to make it look more personal, like your own individual website. I may play around with a few others before deciding.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       07-09-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
Why the high-res need? I use Flickr (free version) and your friends and family can download a 1024 X 1024 size that prints very well. Then can even order prints right from Flickr.

Just curious. If they wanted to print a 24 X 36 poster I'd just e-mail them that file.