Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-23-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
I am at a crossroads with my trailer and so is my dealer. The boat is a 2009 Supra 22V with a tandem baot mate trailer. My delemia is that the trailer brakes will not disengage when put in reverse. The dealer cannot locate what is causing this problem. They have checked the wiring on my truck, replaced the selinoid on the trailer, replaced the 5 way plug and nothing has corrected this problem. Here is the kicker. Dealer can get the trailer to go in reverse with their yard dog tractor. They can get the trailer to go in reverse with another vehicle. I can hook up to one of there other Supra's and back it up. This problem only seems to be occuring with my vehicle and my boat together. I am running out of patience.

Any thoughts from anyone as to why this might be happening.

If it matters, I do have an electric brake controller hooked up.

Please help
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
Have you guys hooked it to another vehicle other than the tractor?
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-23-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
Really, its not that hard. Run 12 volt from a battery to the reverse lockout solinoid, and ground to the ground wire of the trailer (exposed wire on truck side harness). These wires on teh flat 5 are the 2 outside ones....backup being blue.

If it releases the soileniod, the trailer is fine. Use a test light to figure out why the harness on your truck is f'd. Is the dealer backing up your trailer with the harness hooked up, or just rolling it back easy? Question being, does he actually use teh reverse lockout deal, or just roll it back and keep the brakes from locking? Its a simple electrial circuit.....get out a test light, and run some 12 volt wires from a battery, and figure it out.

The trailer backup wire from teh truck should give 12 v when the truck is in reverse. Do your truck's backup lights work properly? If not, check your fuse. Who wired you flat 5 on your truck?
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-24-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
I agree with dhcomp, check all those things. But I had the same problem with my 97 Z71 everything "seemed" to work fine and when I had the boat in for service my dealer checked everything and I was in your same situation. Recently I sold that truck and my new one works fine...things that make you go hmmmm...and wtf!!!! Good luck I feeeel ya!!!!
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-24-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
I do not have an electronic brake controller on my dad's minivan. When I use it to tow my boat we turn the headlights on and flip the plug upside down. Works every time. WHOOOHOOO for rigging stuff!

(FYI: the boat gets towed about 3 times a year roughly 10 miles, and it has the manual brake thing)
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-24-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Exactly what what dhcomp said. I had the same problem and had to take my truck back to the dealer to get them to fix it. It is a 20 minute fix if they can get you in right away. Of course I had wait around 2 hours till they finally go the truck back in the bay.