Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-15-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
http://blogs.water-data.com/showthread.php?p=3525#post3525

It would be a bummer if they didn't allow this event this year.

One thing I don't understand about this article is the "animal feces". Don't coyotes and other animals crap all over the place out there?

Well it was an interesting article and I pray I can make it this year! Keep the beaches clean!
Old     (dough_boy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-15-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Its always the few that ruin it for the rest of us.

If you have ever seen coyote feces you would know the difference between it and a domesticated dog. Its not the same at all.

Clean up after yourself. Its that easy. Keep Brostock alive.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-15-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
always at least one thing wrong with every article... this year is more than the second time. haha

anyway...

I was just going to post a scan of that article when i got home. i heard about it today. My dad and i picked up some stuff that wasn't ours before we left even last year. kinda wish now that my dad and i would have thought to go back out to pick things up... even though it was not our responsibility

I am trying to recall how many pets were brought. i don't really recall any. I bet that the trash left behind brought in more of the natural occuring local animals, thus depositing an unusual amount more of animal feces.

from one experienc i have learned that wakeboarders can really trash an RV! i was not at all impressed with that tour RV at all! and i am sure a boat, or beach is no exception to that disreguard. There is no excuse for trashiness (except for one or two extreme exceptions) its just another thing besides the large wakes (justafiable) and loud music that will add to our bad reputations.

NPS is not that forgiving and very strict here at Powell. (for example: you will be fined if caught jumping off anything higher than 20 ft or so, because of the deaths and injuries involved with cliff jumping) IF we screw up again i think it will be the last bro stock. and then when other lakes see what happened and see how NPS here responded then that will have HUGE effects on other lakes and other wake events else where!! I have heard that other lakes and parks look to powell as an example.

Half the day on the last day of bro stock probably ought to be set aside for cleaning if necissary.

I'm excited for Bro Stock and will be there once again for my third time.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-15-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
Sadly, there's no way you're going to get everyone to clean up after themselves with an event like this. If I was running the show, I'd make sure that there are trash cans spread throughout the site and I'd hire somebody to do some cleaning after everyone leaves. A donation to that NPS might not be a bad idea either. I'd also bring in some portable toilets because there are a lot of people without houseboats. I'm sure Matt will get it all squared away this year!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-15-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
A lot of trash problems EVERYWHERE (not just Powell) are due to unexpected winds (or animals) that blow open trash bins or even tip over trash bins (that might have been secured better). so sometimes one can do their duty to help the earth and then later end up with a worse mess. i know it has happened to me.

just another thing for everyone to watch for evvery where anytime.

try to at least recycle cans if nothing else too
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2009, 12:03 AM Reply   
kinda a repeat of old news:
i was told today that the Castle Rock Cut work is done. a crew has been deepening the cut all this month. currently only tiny boats and PWCs can get through. just good to know it is done on schedule or earlier and nothing holding it back for whatever reason.

plus the lake should rise about 30 ft. this year
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-17-2009, 12:20 AM Reply   
Jeremy, please continue to post the latest news you hear. We have a houseboat for the 11-15. Pretty excited we actually get to make it this year. Lets meet up for a set, or at least a beer! Later
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2009, 12:26 AM Reply   
I'll do my best.!

see ya all there!
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-17-2009, 6:14 AM Reply   
http://blogs.water-data.com/showthread.php?p=3530#post3530

Here are some good photos of the Castle Rock cut.

Ryan, are you driving to Page or putting in at Bullfrog?

If I am around, we are putting in at Bullfrog and cruising down from there.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Looking forward to being at BroStock this year.

Upload
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-17-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
Dan, thats going to be one hell of a drive! Ya, we're putting in at Page, thats where we're picking up the houseboat also. I'll PM you my phone number, get a hold of me when you can.

JJ, that poster is funny as hell, I like the sponsors! I'll be in Arkansas to the 24th, I'll give you a call in a few days or so.

Jeremy, thanks a lot, dude.
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
Sounds good Duck. We have been getting pounded with snow... 10-20" in the Denver metro area and 2-4' in the highcountry. What a f-ing mess! The wet snow & rain is good though, we need the h20 for the lakes.
Ya, I'm stoked for Powell. I talked to Justin last night. We are trying to get things together and more people to come on the trip. Their is a good chance we may see "JackMacklson" at BroStock!

Upload
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
Looks like there has been quite a debate about this here (warning: the site uses some adult language and is quite .. uhhh "strong" in opinions whether good, hateful, or whatever. but i guess that's my own opinion too.)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LakePowellFishCampBoat/message/7176

if your interested there it is.

looks like there is some correspondences between these guys and the event coordinator(s)

i'm thinking that there is probably a greater voice of people apposing Bro-Stock than I was thinking, including some with what looks like a lot of power, like the author (John Powers) of the article linked above. Though the article sounded like he was somewhere in the middle (like myself), wanting to see the event succeed but not at Powell's expense. after reading the stuff on this site i am thinking he is not so much on the support (or half) support of Bro-Stock that i thought he was. The article seemed more like a "tactic" to me. or maybe i am taking it wrong.

I want to propose an invite to put in your support of Bro Stock, especially those going (without the expense of the lake of course) there is probably not enough voices FOR the event, especially when there just are not many wakeboarders in Page (not avid ones like myself anyway for sure)

(Message edited by wakerider111 on April 18, 2009)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2009, 8:46 PM Reply   
I have not really organized any "petitions" before, but i want to see my favorite place and my favorite activity continue to grow together )in un-conflicting ways of course.

any ideas besides just asking people individually to make a voice or ...? something I can do and help with from a LOCAL perspective/ advantage!!!

i also would hate to see much money wasted for wakeboardings sake (on an industry level or on a personal level. i.e. advertising and planned houseboats) if this years event does not get approved.

or am i panicking?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-20-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Ok,

so i stopped by the Park Service Headquarters office today. The person who is in charge of the contracts and such was out to lunch but another person who is the head of recreation was there and knew a lot of what was going on for the Bro Stock. He told me that a contract had been drawn up and that it was pretty much waiting to be signed and such. so that made me feel good.

Also i went to ask lake powell resorts to see if i could use my free houseboat incentive after its deadline (the end of this month) to use for bro-stock. of course i was expecting them to say no but they also said that they were having to put in more boats than they normally would not put in just for brostock to meet the overwhelming demands. this to me was also good news. i was wondering if maybe the turn out would be a little smaller this year due to the economy, but from the sounds of things, Bro stock will not only be bigger, but the Bros will be more plentiful too... and thus more to manage on the negative side.

take only pictures, leave only foot prints and we can all come back to do it again!

see ya all there and sorry for my panicking ;)

Upload
here is a pic of Powell glass (slightly rippled) taken today when i went to test this wimp of a wakeboarder (me) in the 53 degree water. now i got to get out on a boat *pounding head for being such a wimp... but feeling a little justified because others are wimps too and haven't de-winterized yet*
Old     (dough_boy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-20-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the updates. Hopefully this thread will make more people aware of the trash problem.