Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-18-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
I pulled a groin muscle 4 months ago while doing the Insanity wide knee, jump knee tuck. It hasn't gotten any better. Does anyone have any advice to speed the recovery along? It is such a deep, obscure pull, that it's difficult to pinpoint during a massage (my wife is a therapist).

thanks
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-18-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
I don't think there is much you can do besides resting it Cliff.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-18-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
A hot tub few times a week might help to get the blood moving and help it heal. Other than that, I don't think you can do much for it. Of course, thats if you fall on the warm side of the heat vs ice argument....
Old     (rubin)      Join Date: May 2006       02-18-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
4 months seems long..you sure you didnt tear something?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-18-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
I have the same injury. It seems fine and then I go and do something active and it starts hurting again. I don't think it will ever heal
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-18-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
That sucks Cliff - sorry to hear. I pulled my groin badly in early morning track sprints in junior high... it took a looooong time to truly go away. Two years later I almost messed it up again - it was still slightly tweaked even then.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-18-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
thanks
Danny, I'm not sure if I did or not

I have extremely limited range in a wide knee or sitting "Indian style" position
sorry if that is an offensive thing to say.....

whatever muscle pulls your knees up and out is what was injured

it worries me that wakeboarding will be limited. I fear that a simple wake to wake will be painful or more harmful, so I am trying to nurse the thing back to health while it's cold out.

I am hearing 6 months minimum
i try to stretch and massage the area, but have not attempted ice or heat

I have read about remedies such as this link...
http://www.aidmygroin.com/?REF=G_Groin

and other products that come in a kit....but I'm not a big believer.....seems gimiky
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-18-2010, 11:22 PM Reply   
Sounds like a "hip flexor". Might take a different approach....
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-19-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
get an MRI. could be a torn labrum in your hip.

those will never heal no matter how much therapy you do. it's surgery and then you can get back to doing whatever you want.

(Message edited by amo on February 19, 2010)
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-19-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
If it were a torn labrum he would have pain in the lateral side of his hip near the trochanter of his femur (big bone on the joint). I highly doubt its a labrum problem since he hasnt complained about cracking, popping, or his femur getting "stuck". I encourage you to do heat and cryogenic treatments and let your flexors rest for a while. If you want, google iliacus and psoas muscles, they make up your hip flexors along with a tad of your sartorious. You will find a lot of info on this type of injury. Best of luck to ya and PM me or email me if you need any further advice.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-19-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
not entirely true Eder. I had no lateral pain in my hip, and my labrum was torn. I was almost completely asymptomatic. I am in Vail, Co right now recovering from hip labral surgery at Steadman Hawkins clinic. I have learned a lot in the last 3 weeks from the Steadman people. I would do the MRI just to rule it out.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-19-2010, 8:47 AM Reply   
thanks for the advice guys. I will do some more reading. I will not rule out an MRI, but my insurance deductible is set pretty high, so I will do some more reading first.