Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2010, 6:05 PM Reply   
Hey, this has prob been covered already, tried a search and couldn't find anything on this particular item...

I have a 2004 Malibu LSV 23', which has the 250# hard tanks above the floor in the rear. I'm curious if I could replace the hard tanks with 750# sacs and have all the plumbing match right up?? Not have to add any additional pumps etc. I know there is the Wakemaker Piggy back system, but says it for Bu's with the hard tanks under the floors....

Just looking for something easy here that i could swap in real fast and be done with it.

Also, if anyone knows of any good write up with pictures and what not that would help as well!

Thanks,
Jason
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       04-02-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
You can do it just as your thinking. You will need a small section of hose for the fill line and vent line but other than that you can swap them. The 750 will be a much taller ballast bag. Thats why you need to replace the fill and vent lines. also dont foget to loop the lines to break any siphon.. If you need more details do a search on the malibu crew, tons of ballast info there.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
I've done quite a bit of searchs on themalibucrew.com. Can't really find quite what i'm talking about. No one seems to have pictures either so. Anyone have any pictures of this being done??
Old     (eldirtb)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-15-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
Jason, did you have any luck? I am also interested in upgrading the rear ballast in my 03 LSV.
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2010, 3:43 PM Reply   
I haven't attempted it yet...

I wrote Paul over at Bake's Marine and got this as feedback. It will cost around $400 for the whole swap over but seems very easy and well worth it.

""Jason,

We've done that before to get more weight in those back storage lockers. Removign the hard tanks and installing bags is a fairly simple task. When you install bags you don't use the vents at all as you want the bags to expand and conform to the compartment. With a vent they fill up about 3/4 of the way and they start to vent out too early before they are full all the way.

These bags are the closest thing to fitting with out having to pay for custom bags that we've used for customers.

You will need these parts to make the change over.
2 Bags http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=984
4 Male quick connect http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1587
4 Female quick connects http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1593
2 Pump to bag http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1596

Hope this helps you out

Paul ""
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-15-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
To vent or not to vent that is the question... I had some issues with my bag having an air bubble because I didn't always have the time or I forgot to push all the air out before I filled. Like Paul said there are reasons why you wouldn't want to vent and that is totally up to you.

You might also look at adding the NEW Fly High Pro X Jumbo Sac instead of the standard 750 lb. Fat Sac. It would optimize the space and give you a better bang for the buck. It should give you around 1000 lbs. which would be rad for surfing. I have a fittings part list below. Just subtract 1 x W736, 1 x W742, 1 x 3/4" barbed union fitting and 3 x hose clamps from the list if you don't want to vent the bag.

3 x Fly High W736
3 x Fly High W 742
1 x Fly High W 745
5 ft. 3/4" Hose
2 x 3/4" barbed union fittings
8 x 3/4" Stainless Steel Hose Clamps

Last edited by spencerwm; 04-15-2010 at 4:12 PM.
Old     (hfpesko)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-15-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
Im doing a similar install, and I was wondering if anyone has had any damage done to the dividers between the side compartments and the engine due to the pressure exerted by the bags? Sorry for the hijack
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-15-2010, 11:07 PM Reply   
To tell you the truth I have had a lot of people ask me that question but have never heard of an issue after the install. I have not personally had the issue in any of the boats I have used. With that said the man to ask would be Paul from Bakes or someone else in a service shop that would see a lot of boats coming and going.
Old     (snowrider)      Join Date: May 2007       04-17-2010, 7:22 PM Reply   
Best upgrade we have done to our boat! Buy the wakemakers tankbuster kit which is designed to replace the hard tanks in malibus. Was pretty easy to do and has made surfing really easy to set up for. Bunch of info at malibucrew that I read before purchasing. Hope the info helps.