Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-03-2008, 10:41 PM Reply   
I'm looking to get into photography, it's always been something that has interested me. NOt really looking to do it as anything more than a hobby. I'm looking at getting this kit from b&h.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532253-REG/Nikon__D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-05-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
I got a d40 and loved it but its easy to grow out of.

I would maybe go for something a little more powerful, you won't regret it.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2008, 4:19 PM Reply   
I had one for a year, and it was ok, but like Nick said, you want more pretty quick. I just got the Cannon 40D, now that's a camera.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-07-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
I would look into a good D80 and 18-200VR lens.

There are many people selling them for cheap.
Look at Nikoncafe
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-08-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
I bought the D40 back in December and am still very pleased. I started knowing nothing and still don't feel like I know much. I think the camera is great and you can't go wrong with it. Unless you know how to take pictures, I would say go for it and learn how to use the camera. Spend the extra money on lenses rather than the body itself.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-08-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
I went through the same thing ~2 years ago. I splurged and got the D200. It is very nice having a nice camera. The reality is though, once you start getting into it, the camera body will be a lower percentage of the total costs. Lenses add up pretty quick.

If you think you are really going to get into photography, get something high end (at least a D80 and a D300 if you can swing it). Don't scrimp on the glass to start off with either. I have a 55-200 and a 70-300VR lens collecting dust because I did not just get the good lens at the start.

Later

Bakes
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-09-2008, 5:59 PM Reply   
On Nikonians.org there is a D200 for sale, and they are asking $875. It is just the body, but you can start there and purchase some older glass. At least the camera can utilize all of Nikon's current glass, unlike a D40.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
I think a used D200 is one of the best deals on the market right now for someone looking to get into photography.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Just wondering....How may here have dropped $900 on a used camera purchased through the internet? What's been your experience? Or the experience of friends?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-09-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
I have purchased a lot of used electronic equipment off the internet. So far I have never had a problem. I actually prefer being able to track someone through post history to determine the type of person they are. Plus if they are selling through a website forum that is specialized, IE wakeworld, it is easy to follow their past sales/purchase history. Many websites now have user ratings for products purchased and sold.