Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-17-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
trying to change the steering cable in my 02 x-star. Got some good input here already but ran into an unexpected snag. When I try to go and loosen the single big nut that attatches the cable to the cable bracket near the back of the boat, the whole bracket starts to spin? ugh. I tried tightening the three nuts that hold that bracket in place, but they are so difficult to get at and get a wrench on both the bolt head and nut. Any ideas to help? I was thinking of taking out the off the one big nut that holds the brackte assembly there to the bottom of the boat and then try to pull the whole thing out of the bilge area to get a better angle at it? Think that will work? Too late to try anything now, need to head to bed. Thanks.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
I can't remember exactly, but I think I ended up removing the whole unit too due to the same problem.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-18-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Erik, that's what I was thinking of doing this evening. Wish I wasn't 6'5 220lbs, would make working on these boats so much easier! Get a little dizzy/nauseated from being upside down so long! Any body have a contortionist friend I could borrow?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-19-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
just a follow up, I ended up removing the sleeve that the cable runs through near the transom end by removing the 3/4" nut. Pulled the assembly out of the bilge area and was then able to loosen the big nut on the steering cable. New cable installed and ready to go. Can't beleive how much nicer the steering feels.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-19-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Bob. I knew a girl once that was a contortionist...god I should have married that girl.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-21-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
had the boat out on the water last night for the first time since changing the cable. Wow, what a difference. What can I do to prevent my new cable from getting all rusted out? I plan on keeping the bilge area as dry as possible, greasing the cable at least a couple times a summer. I've heard of these going bad just sitting over the winter though? Any thoughts?
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
I try to keep the rudder turned all one way so the cable is folded in and not exposed to the elements. It's hard to remember on a daily basis but for sure over the winter.

I've heard of people getting a rubber boot for the cable to prevent water from getting in but I never heard if that would work for this boat.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
it's super important on the 205V hull to keep the bilge dry not only for the steering cable but to keep water out of the transmission. I am just realizing that as I just pumped a decent amount of milkshake fluid out of my transmission. Turns out it is a huge problem with this hull and there is a service bulletin about it. I will be checking my tranny fluid way more than once a year from here on out.