Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old    the_skeptic            11-23-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
Question: Of you folks out here in Southern Cali dealing with these winds for the last week or so, do you leave your cover on or off when windy?

I can't stand this time of year, the winds start up and it feels like a tornado is stuck next door and won't go away, the winds can get up to at least 70mph. Thus, after cleaning the sh*t out of my boat for winter, the winds start up and move my cover around so much that it rubs againist the gelcoat and interior causing a headache when spring comes around with endless waxing and cleanup, but it never looks like it did before.... The last boat I had was a year old and when I sold it the buyer said "wow, the boat looks like you've been parting alot". I just picked up an '05 and fear of the same thing happening! The other option I have is taking the cover off, but then I have to deal with trash and dirt every where...

Sorry for the long post, needed to vent .....

(p.s.: a garage to be built $16,000. No one will build a enclosed carport stating that it won't stay.)
Dave
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-23-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
How about one of those custom snap on covers. Should hold tight and not blow around like a pull over one. I think they run about $700.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-23-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
We live in so cal and this is what we keep our boat in. It has held up to all of the heavy wind an rains storms so far. Alot cheaper than a garage.

(Message edited by big x-star on November 23, 2005)
Old    the_skeptic            11-23-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
David - Wife didn't like the buttons to be all over the boat, thus no snap on cover.

Kevin - That thing has to be anchored??? I was told that wouldn't hold it.... I've seen them online, what company makes it and price????
Old     (wakeraid)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-24-2005, 2:15 AM Reply   
throw a tarp around the entire boat with theo custom boat covers on... add towels/padding where you think it may need ...
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-24-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
Yea, is anchored at 8 points and has 2 cross cable supports on the inside to keep it stable.
very stable. Wind so far has not been a problem.
It was custom made to our needed specs from a co. in so cal. But any canopy/awnings co.can build one I am sure.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       11-24-2005, 10:12 PM Reply   
Damn Kevin... That's a really nice boat to leave shacked up all the time (hint hint).

-Blake
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-24-2005, 10:21 PM Reply   
Nice Kevin. Much nicer than mine, but I'm cheap!

Blake,

No leash on mine. It will be getting wet tomorrow. How bout' you?? Call me!
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-25-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Has Troy L. posted a picture of his garage? I'd trade all the bling in China for that thing.

I have a good trailering cover (maybe ten straps plus a rope that runs the perimeter and cinches tight.) Normally don't strap any, but do cinch the rope. Next, I take either a big a$$ blue or silver/brown tarp from The Home Depot or two smaller ones and run it/them from bow winch to rudder, over the tower. Nice rain shed and don't have a problem with the scratches you were talking about. Have to replace the tarps every year, though.

I'd LOVE to make a nice multi-year cover with webbing built in and maybe some zippered areas with screens for drying out the boat after use.

Dust and wind are annoying, but getting and staying wet is WAY worse in my book.
Old    the_skeptic            11-26-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
Took a peek yesterday after the winds died down, that 303 protectant did better than I thought. The interior corners don't look touched... different story for the gelcoat/GGE stickers, hopefully that step 1 wax (paint cleaner) will work, again .... thanks for the input, headed out to get a tarp while waiting for the steel framed plastic garage folks to call.....

(Message edited by the_skeptic on November 26, 2005)