Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
well, it was just finalized...there will be a new wakesports shop at the carsbad lagoon. along with a pro shop, lessons are available. also, if you just want to take your boat out there, you can get a permit from the city of carsbad, go to the lagoon and pay for launch, and ride till your arms fall off!

congrats tyler! and tell josh to gimme a pull!
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Did he buy it from Greg??
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
That sounds cool. What's the Carsbad Lagoon all about?
Old     (blitzpb)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
Oh cool, Ive seen that lagoon alot. Everytime I drive by it on the 5 I think to myself "Look at all that glass, why isnt anyone wakeboarding that ish!" Then I get honked at and I have to keep driving.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-24-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
Josh Cantor is the man with the plan at the Carlsbad Lagoon! What a coup, getting the long existing Snug Harbor rental business away from a guy who wasn't exceptionally wake friendly over the years. Josh is going to make the most of that situation and will make that a premeire wakeboarding school/camp in due time.
Joe, are you sure you can get permits through the city? If so then things have changed. The Lagoon was only accessable to waterfront home owners and businesses like Snug Harbor. If this has changed then I'm sure the Carlsbad Lagoon homeowners are gonna be pissed that anyone can get on their little oasis.
Then again, the way Josh is gonna ratchet things up the homeowners are in for a change anyway.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
jeff, yeah, that's what tyler told me.

pointless west is what this place is being dubbed. it's going to be interesting if they build sliders, rails and kickers. what about west coast's only cable park? that'd be sweet, right?
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-24-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
You don't have to be waterfront to get on lagoon, my partner lives by the highschool and has permit. The permit is easy, ( standard insurance liability ) it's getting someone to let you launch your boat the hard part. The homes/condo's that are waterfront have launch ramp in the small channel, there's the business next to FWY and in between in dirt launch area. I believe the guy who owns " THAT PIZZA PLACE " in Carlsbad owns it with a partner.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-24-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
Chances they ever put a rail in the water there are slim..........
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-24-2005, 5:18 PM Reply   
Yeah Joe! That took all of three minutes for you to see my post and reply!

And that will be cool if they can get some rails on there. There will still be the issue of the summertime marine patrol and other law enforcement issues, but I'm sure Josh and Tyler will get things figured out to their adantage.

And I wonder if this new revelation will finally get Tyler out on a wakeboard. I can't wait to see his puny legs and stick-man arms zipping around out there!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
well, he said he's starting the "getting back in shape" process. time will tell!
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-24-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
Tell Tyler the "Spongebob Squarepants" look fits him! All body with pipecleaner arms and legs.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-24-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
It will be nice if they get rid of jetskiing on the lagoon. That place is a dump.. parts of the dock are floating away, the crapper is full, and they have a perfect cocktail hut that is falling apart. Plus it is pretty tough to launch your boat at low tide since the ramp is non-existant.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-24-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
Any man with a zipper scar like Tyler has from wakeboarding gets my respect! Plus he hired me at Water Ski World back in the day!! Tyler Irwin, the coolest guy in so-cal wakesports PERIOD! Hooray for the Lagoon!! Josh knows whats up, he'll have it crackin in no time!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2005, 8:00 AM Reply   
Congrats to Tyler and Josh for that. As for rails... I think that may be a no go.. but I sure wouldn't mind someone proving me wrong! The lagoon is still open to the public so I don't ever see that happening. Maybe a floatable slider that they could tow out just for their purpose.

Hope the algae/weed problem doesn't strike up again, it was looking scary there for awhile.
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-25-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Hilts, I must to say that Tyler gave me my start in the wakeboarding bizz when he hired me at Water Ski World. Even before he hired me he would make me fix my own equipment in his repair shop, the beginning of the Irwin "Tough Love" philosophy. Then there were that countless days and hours at trade shows with him and Pat. Thank goodness I found a good therapist who helped me move beyond those painful years...

Just kidding. Tyler is the man! Everyone in So Cal knows Tyler is amazing in the customer service area and his selection is second to none!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Here is the lowdown: http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=99
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-25-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
Josh called me and let me know when it went down. What a great move on his part!! As far as the jet skiing goes, it may be what is paying the bills right now, so I don't really expect it to go anywhere in the near future. Welcome to the new Carlsbad Wakesports!!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2005, 9:58 AM Reply   
is it safe to assume carlsbad is salt h20 or brackish ???
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-25-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
Carlsbad is salt. It is connected to the ocean and the water level there really fluctuates with the tide. Like I said before at low tide the bottom of the ramp is exposed and it offers a pretty sketchy launch. Hopefully wakesports will turn that dump around.

Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-25-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
So who owns it then? Is it a new shop, or is it an additional Wakesports store?
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-25-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
its gonna be a great summer in so cal...things are on the up for the sport thanks to Captin Cantor(Josh) and Tyler "square pants" Irwin yeaaah!
Old     (summerryder)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-25-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Josh Cantor now owns Snug Harbor. Wakesports will be opening a pro shop in the SNug Harbor building, but the space will be owned by Josh and rented to Wakesports.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
its gonna be a great summer in so cal

RJ - word.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-28-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Love that butter salt water,now I'm down to one secret spot in No.county & one in L.B.
I used to live 100 yard from the lunch ramp 90-91 at da beginings of Moose wakeboards GREAT TESTING grounds
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-28-2005, 3:24 PM Reply   
Sounds like a great place to have the PWT West Coast stop. Since Irvine appears to have been removed from the tour. What up with that?
Old    chubbydaddy1            03-28-2005, 5:35 PM Reply   
Congrads Josh!
I thought that Tyler went out of BIZ? Last time I was in his shop there was nothing in there?
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-29-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
IMO This is a huge win for our sport in So Cal. We couldn't ask for better ownership and plans for the facility. I'm excited as my boat's rigged for salt and this is one more spot to ride!

Actiondcpd- You gotta be stoked to have your local spot get upgraded like this?