Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (mwilso27)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-01-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
I am looking for recommendations on what boat I should buy. The boat will be used about 50/50 for skiing and wakeboarding. My wife wants a V-drive and it must be new. I want to stay in the $50K or less neighborhood.

I plan to test drive a boat before purchasing, but am trying to narrow my search before the test drive phase. I appreciate any advice you can provide.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-01-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
MC X-1 or CC SV-211. The X-1 you can get for 50k or less; don't know what the 211 goes for.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-01-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
Tige 20v, Supra 20SSV, Moomba Outback V, MC X-1, maybe Malibu Vride, Sanger V210, Centurion Enzo 216. You might be able to get a 2006 CC SV211 near $50k.....

Demo and buy the best boat/dealer combo....Good Luck....
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-01-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV, 20LSV and even the VTX which is on the wake hull. Other than that check the above mentioned.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-02-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
Without a doubt the best crossover boat out there for that money is the Correct Craft SV-211. It's the only boat certified for both skiing and wakeboarding...MSRP is $45K. My second choice would be the Sanger V210.

http://www.wakeworld.com/boats/getboat7.asp?ProductID=200136
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-02-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
I vote for the X1. I have an old xstar(205 hull). In the direct drive form, it is (was) AWSA approved to pull tournys. In the Vdrive form, it still produces a pretty nice wake at 32mph. At 36, it is almost non existant. I run the course with ours all the time. I don't think I have to comment on the WB wake.
Old     (imiguy68)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-02-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
supra 20ssv
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-02-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
i rode behind a loaded down 211 a few weeks ago. stock + 4/5 hundie. awesome wake. big and solid
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-02-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
I'm not pushing Tige, although I own one. ... Doubt I'll get another. However, you can get into a 22V for that much. They made them in '06, and I know because the demand was low, (people wanted the Ve) that someone on here picked up an '06 for $40K

The Tige has an awesome ride, and is an all around nice boat. I just have the last generation TAPS system, and it has not worked in two years. I have replaced all the parts to it, but it still doesn't work.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-02-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
Supra 20SSV
Moomba LSV

Correct Craft 211 (Pricey)
Master Craft X-2
Centurion Cyclone

Danny T.
www.OKCBoardShop.com
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
I would not recomend the Cyclone as a crossover boat the wake is a bit big at any speed.
The Centurion Enzo 216SV is the new Crosover boat
You can see picture here http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/352426.html
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-02-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
SV-211 - all the way. Rode behind the new Super Air 220, and I think the 211 is just as good as the 220 for wakeboarding, if not better. Plus, it is USA Water Ski Class "C" tournament approved, so it can be used for most grass-roots type ski tourneys. Insane boat!
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-02-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
test ride each one...i have the cc 211 and like it alot.. a buddy has a 2005 x2 and that is a awesome boat hands down..i dont think you can go wrong with a cc, mc, or bu..

would suggest to really consider who you buy from... i wished i would have been more diligent before i spent my $$$...

(Message edited by nautielove on November 02, 2006)
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-03-2006, 12:09 AM Reply   
Nautique 211

Tournament certified for both skiing and wakeboarding... excellent boat. Kicks a beautiful surf wake as well.

Gets my vote for "best crossover watersports boat on the market"

Coming in a close second is the Mastercraft X1 (doesn't surf nearly as well and throws a slightly larger skii wake)
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-03-2006, 6:13 AM Reply   
Your right the cyclone may not have been the best choice, the Eite-V may have een a better pick.

Danny T.
www.OKCBoardShop.com
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-03-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
You are right the old Elite V /Huricane/Lighning would have been a good choice However it was replaced with the Elite V C4/Lighning C4 with the same hull as the Cyclone C4
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
Don't forget the Sanger V210 also. Maybe one of the best boats for the money!
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-03-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Mike - Check your e-mail I sent some info on the Supra 22SSV, and how it performs.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-03-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
I think the x1 surfwake is very good....like anything it takes trial and error...I found the x1 wake to be great on both sides...

something to really consider if you do surf is prop rotation~if you ride goofy check with the manufacture if they can reverse it....nautie went regular on 2006 forward.

btw, I would not buy the team edition...it is waaaayyy overpriced because they add a $1000 stereo (pos) and charge $3k more...I had my dealer pull it and give a credit...would suggest a limited or signature with the options you want...you should have no problem getting it out door for $48k to $52k with a trailer ~ otherwise they are really over charging....you can get a loaded 220 for $60k...

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 03, 2006)
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
I can't tell you how please I am with my '06 SV211. It has performed perfectly with 95 hours on it for the first year. Wife picked it out to replace our old direct drive. We surf, board, ski and barefoot with it. That should cover all aspects of a crossover.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-03-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Almost new:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/382370.html?1161786472
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-03-2006, 11:43 PM Reply   
Mike,

Wow...$62K to $72k for a 211 is ridicules...that is mc big zstar range,..the 211 is the least inexpensive in the air and crossover line..

I would really suggest going out as a third for the day on the boats you are considering...this will allow you first hand experience and information about the dealer...i know $50k is your budget, but I would suggest putting that in the back of your mind and figure what you want and then look for a good price..

Here are some suggestions..find out exactly what options you want for each model and give that list to the dealer...this way, what you have is in writing...

Here are some considerations...

Financing- get your preapproved with your own...if the dealer can beat it then great... This will give you leverage...

Engine - 330 pcm(cc), 350 pcx(mc), and 340 monsoon(bu) are all excellent motors..ask a dealer what is the difference between the merc and the above..

Models-depending on the you buy... Here is where you can save some money...a 211 signature or limited can be ordered with the same options...the only difference will the graphics...

Ballast-make sure to get full factory ballast options otherwise it will really devalue the boat if you decide to sell it..

Perfect pass - get it even if the boat has throttle be wire....there is no subsitute for it and see above.

Dripless packing gland-get it..

Trailer - would suggest a dhm or extreme with paint over galvie... Will cost more up front but less in the long run..mc trailers are very, very good.

Stereo & Tower speakers - the manufactures jack up the prices big time... Your better off taking it to a reputable stereo shop and getting better gear for less money..

Ski pylon- make sure you get it in a crossover boat..

Prop rotation- this is a big deal imo for wake surfing (very addictive)...if you and crew are goofy, then see if the prop direction can be changed at the factory..

Boat cover- depends on how and how much you use it. If outside a lot or trail a lot, then the rankin...

Talk to other owners and find out what it takes in extra ballast to get a great wakeboarding, surf, or ski wake..some boats take more or less..

Resale value- cc, bu, and mc are very, very good..

Options- make sure you and you dealer are working off the same sheet..dont take anyones words in this matter, get everything in writing in the contract...if push comes to shovem this will help

Dealer reputation - we have crappy mc(lost dealership), cc(lacking in credibility - yes, read between the lines), and bu(price gouging and too far away)

Service manager-meet the service manager and the service crew (check out how long they have been there)...inspect the area.. See how they treat customers boats - remember, that will be yours...my boat/trailer has comeback scratched and filthy multiple times - This is unacceptable... Not only has this happened to me, it has happened to others...

I am sure there is more...but this is what comes to mind..

Good luck !!!
Old     (mikeymarsh)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-05-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Mike, Do your homework, and you will see the M/C X-1 is by far the only boat to buy. Look into the details, construction, seating, storage, and wake. Also look at which one holds its value over time.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
mike marsh (mikeymarsh)
"Mike, Do your homework, and you will see the M/C X-1 is by far the only boat to buy. Look into the details, construction, seating, storage, and wake. Also look at which one holds its value over time."

Mike, you just gave all the support for the Nautique too. The Correct Craft will hold its value over time probably better. The details, construction, seating, storage and both wakes are there, Slalom and Wakeboard. Also a third party thinks the same, they are called JD Powers...Check for yourself!!

http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ratings/index.asp?v1=6

Looks like MC missed out a little bit on the Quality and Reliability rating and the Ride and Handling catagories...

Upload

Now IMO, opinion most all boats built by the Big 3 plus Sanger are going to be damn good boats with proper support from the dealer and manufacturer. Some people just have to go around saying that their boat brand or the brand that their buddy has is better than some other, which is OK, but it must be taken with a grain of salt!

We all know that I personally prefer Nautique based on my history of rebuilding/restoring boats, I think the Correct Craft is still a little above the rest and so does JD powers...
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-05-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Sorry for the double post...

(Message edited by san210Nut on November 05, 2006)
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
What, no one wants to play any more??
Old     (ronskal)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
I'll play but actually I agree the SV211 is tops in the crossover dept. and I have an 04 X2!

The 211 was too much $$ for my wallet. If you want to stay in the $50K category, the 211 is out unless
you do what I did and buy used and save.
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-06-2006, 5:38 PM Reply   
I guess since jd power said that CC boats are the best then I should rush out to get one. Just like Powerboat chooses a Malibu for boat of the year every year. My family has had three different Malibus since 2003 and have recieved 0 surverys from Powerboat or JD Power to show my customer satisfaction.

Back on topic as I stated earlier the CC 211 is one of the better crossover boats along with the Sunscape series from Malibu on the diamond hull: 21 LSV and 20LSV, MC X1, Supra 20SSV, and many others already mentioned. Just drive as many as you can and purchase the one that fits your needs
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-06-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
ron,

boat pricing is really strange. my 211te was within $1-$2k of a comparablely equipped v-ride...

go figure...
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Just an FYI, powerboat only chooses boats that pay to be part for the process...JD Powers doesn't take advertising dollars from anyone... Big difference!
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-06-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Red, I know you are CC through and through but eventhough JD Powers does not take adv. dollars does not mean that they are not influenced some how some way. You cannot look at the surveys and say they are accurate. A few years back before the 226 was introduced CC's biggest boat was the 210. It some how received 5 stars in value and storage while Malibu received 3 stars in storage and Moomba the most value oriented boat on the market at the time received 2 or 3 stars I cannot remember the exact number. Now that is an accurate survery, the smallest most expensive boats won the categories of value and storage.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
Maybe the owners thought that an far inferior boat was not a value. Maybe thought the value was in a good product that would still be around in 15 years. I don't know, just a thought though...
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-06-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Personally, I think the Sanger is by far the best value out there! Sanger is top notch through and through and the V210 is a great cross over boat!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-07-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
I looked at the CC 211 before I bought my MC X-2. I found that Construction was there, the things that made it a no-brainer were seating, storage, details, wake and price. IMO, this is what I found, seating capacity on the 211 was 9, on the MC it is 11. The back seat on the 211 is a removable seat with a kickstand. I dont know who thought that was a good idea, but I know it would break or have issues eventually. The actual thickness of the seats was at least an inch or more than the CC. Storage, the MC had more usable storage by not having the walk through transome(although I really like the idea). Attention to details, IMO a manufacturer that makes its own trailers, bimini's, boardracks, tower etc. is more in control of the details. By far the CC does the best with outsourcing vs. the rest of the manufacturers out there. Wake, I wanted one of the best wakes out there, not a boat that does the crossover well(very well IMO). With a well optionized SV211 with trailer out the door was just under $50K, so pricing was within $3500 with same options. I almost bought the 211 and it took about 2 weeks to make up my mind, after I had narrowed it down to these two boats. Find out what works for you, for me the 211 didnt cut it, but I still thought it would have been a great boat to own due to construction and quality.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Nice post Byrd, I appreciate an intelligent post from a boat owner!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-07-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for the props...It does beat the posts from the "I have never owned a boat in my life, but I know just what you need" crew, lol....
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
byrd is spot on with his observation...the x-2 has much more rear locker storage (huge)but the nautie has more under the observer seat...the x-2 wins in the bow hands down...i am wondering when the others are going to go to a pickle fork front..

the removeable rear seat is very cool...when there is a small crew, i remove it (either you will like it or hate it).. the wakes off both the boats are very good...when sacked out, i think the x-2 throws a bigger rampy wake but the 211 has the nautie "kick" (both are good surfing...the hydrogate off the 211 allows for adjustment)...

i own a 211 and really, really, really like the new x-2's alot...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
"Nice post Byrd, I appreciate an intelligent post from a boat owner!"

Unlike yours from a non-boat owner.
Upload
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
BTW, the back seat in the 211 is actually a half way decent design. It's nice to be able to take it out or fold it down when not in use. I know some of the guys have built great speaker box seats to take its place.

Here Mikeski's:
Upload
Upload

When I had a 211 I often just took it out since my crew is never very big. Having the option was nice. Another thing about the 211 that I really liked although I didn't think I would was the walk-through. My 211 was actually caught in a storm at Powell and capsized. When I got it, at the auction, it was missing most of the seat cushions and I thought about just getting rid of the walk-through. I bought an entire skin kit from Nautique so I went ahead and went with the walk-through, it was actually pretty nice, I made a filler pad for it also so that I had the choice of having a full sun pad if I wanted but never ended up using it. IMO the 211 is superior when it comes to a slalom wake and the X2 is a little bigger in the wakeboard department. The Nautique lip does equal them out though IMO. The X2 is also more money unless we are talking about the X1. I also liked the Nautique interior better, I think it holds up better from my experience with abused boats.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Paul (psudy),
For your info, I have owned an SV-211 and an X-1, I have owned 9 tournament style boats and 15 boats total, it's sort of a hobby to buy, fix-up and sell them. I have owned 2 MB Sports, 3 Correct Crafts, 1 Malibu, 1 Sanger and 2 Mastercraft. Most all had fiberglass damage that I bought at insurance sales. I think I am pretty well versed in the quality and construction of all the boats and have a pretty educated opinion. I've been wakeboarding for 8 years, so I have a pretty educated opinion on wakes too. Would you mind posting how you gained your boating knowledge? Thank you and have a good day sir!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-07-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
I remember when Byrd was looking at the 2 boats, he really did his homework on both of them. I think it was a hard decision for him, but the features he mentioned above and a great dealer pushed him towards MC. I have a 06 X2 and I have to say the ski wake at 27-30mph is pretty nice. The stock wakeboarding wake is great for me, but I'm far from being a advanced rider and it serves my purpose well.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
Dealer is everything!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-07-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Red you are right, no matter what kind of boat you have, its nice to have a dealer that takes care of you long after the sale is made, and the check is cashed.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Yup. I don't care how good the quality of your boat is, chances are something will go wrong eventually. It's up to the dealer to do the right thing. One of the boats that I bought had a hull failure were the dealer and ultimately the manufacturer did not cover the problem and would not stand behind the product. The manufacturer said the boat hit something, while three different marine surveyors and two different insurance adjusters all noted that there was no point of impact. A bad dealer/manufacturer can and will find a way to get out of a warranty if they want to. A good dealer/manufacturer will step up and do the right thing.
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
would have to agree with red...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Red, I believe I called you out on that in a previous thread and the only proof you posted was a bad pic of a damaged boat in a ship yard. Good try. The only thing that proved was that you worked in a ship yard. How old are you Red? I gained my boating knowledge from boating.

(Message edited by psudy on November 07, 2006)
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm 42. Like I said before I generally don't take a lot of digital pictures of my projects. I do have a bulletin board of polaroids here in the shop if you want to take a look them. I don't work in a ship yard, we don't have many ship yards in Arizona.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
15 boats and no pics?

and I think the key word there was "shop"

Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Oops, 32, not 42.

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, but just say it.

If you want to come by the shop feel free to do so or have your "buddies" come by and check me out. I do have several photos of them on the bulletin board, I just don't have digital photos. I just got a camera about a month ago.

2167 E CEDAR ST, #4
Tempe, AZ 85282

Ask the girl up front for George.

(Message edited by san210Nut on November 07, 2006)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2006, 11:45 AM Reply   
That you haven't owned 15 boats.

Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
time out.... lets get the thread back on track...
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-07-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
OK.

I do wonder if Mike Wilson is still reading his post, LOL!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
Keep in mind that Byrd is not talking about the new x2 with the pickle fork. He/we are talking about the 205 hull.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-07-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Yes that is true. Mine is an 05, but Billy's is an 06 with the picklefork....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-07-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Didn't see that. I was just pointing out that I cannot comment on the new x2s ski wake.
Old     (mwilso27)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
I am still reading this post and do appreciate all of the input. I originally was thinking that the CC211, Mobius LSV or Supra 21V would be the most likely choice for me. My wife does not like the looks of the new Supra dashes so they are probably out. One thing I know for sure. If the wife isn't happy, nobody is happy.

I discounted MC as everything I have heard about the local dealer has been negative. I have no first hand experience with the dealer so all of the feedback is second hand.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-09-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
Dealer is very important.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-09-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Where do you live Mike?
Old     (mwilso27)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-09-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
I live in Portland, OR.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
Get a boat trader magazine from the gas station and call people who have 1-2 year old boats that are the same brand that you might buy new. Tell them right up front that you don't want to buy their boat but ask about the dealer. You wouldn't believe how candid these people will be about their dealer. For some reason people selling their boat have a lot less brand and dealer defense than someone who is keeping their boat.

BTW, there is a HUGE difference between the CC SV-211 and and the Mobius. It seems to me that you are still very early in the decision state if you are still considering both of these boats. Price level, quality, resale value, ride, wakes, etc., etc... are all vastly different between these boats.

Good luck! Now is the time to buy. When is your local show, you might be able to strike up a better deal then.
Old     (nautielove)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
i like reds idea alot..
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-09-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Mike, I live in P-Town. Had the same crossover dilemma two years ago and bought a MC X1. I don't know how much of a die hard skier you are, but the wake at 22' off is great. I would take you for a test drive, but I just had her winterized on Tuesday, plus everything is flooding right now. First hand positive experience for our local MC dealer. Service department is amazing.

Mike, check out www.pdxwake.com. Lots of Skier's Choice guys on there and a CC guy. I'm sure they will be willing to share their good boating/dealer experiences, too.

(Message edited by lionel on November 09, 2006)