Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2011, 10:41 PM Reply   
correct me if I'm wrong

isn't this the team that was caught violating NCAA rules/regs? Weren't they then allowed to play in their bowl game if they promised to not enter the NFL draft, and face a 5 or so game suspension the next season?
didn't the players agree?
Then....after the draft has come and gone, the NCAA blows up the program, strips a title and even forces the coach to leave?

are those the facts?

I think that the NCAA acted cheesy. It illustrates just what a poorly run organization it is.
I am not a fan of a player being barred from earning some money. I understand the need to regulate the funds, but even a scholar student needs some cash.

I say this because I feel that they misled the players. I wonder if they would have agreed to the same deal knowing that their coach was gone.

If I had a son that was of NFL quality, I might have advised him to enter the draft even after making the deal. If the NCAA is to stupid to not hand out immediate punishment, then shame on them

I'm sure that if I put more thought into it, I could argue the opposing view and say that everybody got what they deserved
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-10-2011, 5:23 AM Reply   
^I think it was because the facts changed as time went by. Correct me if I am wrong, but it began with the 5 players trading Ohio State crap for tattoos and Tressell publicly saying he had no knowledge of the incident. After the bowl game, information began to surface that Tressell knew about these infractions before the season had begun. So the main thing was, Tressell knew of the infractions and was trying to cover them. This isn't his first time being in trouble either. When he was hired from YSU there was an incident that resulted YSU being given penalties after Tressell left for OSU. The NCAA (and I am not taking up for all of their practices) comes down hard on programs when coaches lie about potential violations. The same thing happened with Bruce Pearl at Tennessee. The infractions were minor (he had a couple of recruits at his house for a BBQ, which is a violation), but he lied to the NCAA about it. More and more is beginning to come out, and Tressell jumped ship before it sank completely, a la Pete Carroll.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2011, 7:15 AM Reply   
I think Jeremy is right... this initial punishment reflected what was known at the time and as things progressed more and more became clear which lead to greater actions being taken.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...andal-timeline
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-10-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
I understand most of the NCAA violations but what is wrong with selling/trading a trophy you won? They should be able to do what they want with their property right?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-10-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
They should be able to do what they want with their property right?
I agree and so did the guys on one of the ESPN radio shows.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       06-10-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
I think the NCAA needs to burn their rule book and rewrite it with rules that make sense. Having said that OSU is going to be slaughtered when the NCAA hands down their punishment. I am guessing a 5 year bowl ban and losing 50 scholarships.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-10-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ohio State's President is one of the big guns against a playoff as well. Maybe this will be another step to lead to an actual playoff system so we can determine a true National Champion.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2011, 10:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tings00 View Post
I understand most of the NCAA violations but what is wrong with selling/trading a trophy you won? They should be able to do what they want with their property right?
Where does it stop then? What if the person buying trading it is a booster and giving a lot more then it is actually worth, thus giving the player benfits they aren't suppose to receive? These kids are getting a free education, room and board.

OSU players were getting preferential treatment at car dealers. They were also hanging around tatoo shops in the hood of Columbus where young college kids shouldn't be hanging out at.

the corruption in college football and Basketball needs to stop. The AAU circuit needs to be blown up. 7 on 7 camps need to be blown up. It is BS to see a guy like Willie Lyles take money from programs like Oregon to help place the elite kids. Did Whoregon actually think they could get away with illegally pulling kids out of Texas' back yard? I bet Oregon, LSU and Auburn are the next programs to be blown to hell.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
I really hope the NCAA burns OSU at the cross. One of their punishments should be that know one can use the term "the Ohio State University". I hate that sooooo bad.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-10-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
"What if the person buying trading it is a booster and giving a lot more then it is actually worth"

This should stop all of the talk that players selling things is no big deal.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
why can't colleges allow for buying and selling stuff? They should even allow for them to hold a job and earn some money.
All transactions, jobs, purchases over a certain dollar amount etc...should just be funneled through and approved by a specific person or office with the NCAA. No big deal. Perhaps athletes should even go through an audit once or twice a year. Maybe family members too? It would just be the price you pay for the privilege of being a collegiate athlete.

Not all of the athletes have huge bank rolls or wealthy families. Not all of them even get a "full" ride.
The existing system is out dated and broken.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-10-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
It would be near impossible to monitor selling transactions. There are these things called student loans and financial aid. It is ok to be a poor college student. many of us did it. If you aren't getting a scholarship to an expensive school and can't afford maybe you shouldn't go there?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-10-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
An athlete that is receiving a full college scholarship isn't living the life the real poor college student is living.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2011, 3:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
why can't colleges allow for buying and selling stuff?
this should answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Where does it stop then? What if the person buying trading it is a booster and giving a lot more then it is actually worth, thus giving the player benfits they aren't suppose to receive?
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2011, 9:07 PM Reply   
not if all transactions have to be approved
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-11-2011, 3:10 AM Reply   
what school would approve it? let's assume it's an athlete on a full-ride. wouldn't that be a slap in the face to the school? "hey, we won; can i sell my ring to profit off it?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
They should even allow for them to hold a job and earn some money.
they ARE allowed to work...legitimate jobs. they can't be hired at, say, an auto dealership, never show up for work but get paid a salary anyway. unfortunately, this example happens quite a bit.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-12-2011, 6:24 AM Reply   
It has been a minute, but if I recall correctly, only nonschollarship players can have normal jobs. Guys on a ride can get certain preapproved campus jobs and there is an exception form for noncampus jobs but they are scrutinized heavily.

Bottom line is that a "full ride" should have per diem. It sux to work that hard, benefit the school, gain notoriety, have your pick of the bunch, and can't afford to take a date to a movie.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Bottom line is that a "full ride" should have per diem.
A full ride is the per diem... they go to class per diem, use their books and resources per diem. A full-ride to play a sport you love is amazing and huge huge HUGE amount of money as it is. If they can't work a little on campus and/or the summer to take out a date, they're in for a rude awakening when they hit the real world (assuming they don't go pro).
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
Jay Paterno on the situation:
At the last meeting of Big Ten coaches, athletic directors and administrators, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney threw out an idea that has been tossed around the NCAA for decades: paying college athletes. In light of the recent situations involving players at numerous schools selling personal memorabilia, some have advocated paying the players as a way to avoid such problems in the future.

The idea is that paying an athlete's "cost of attendance" – in some cases up to $10,000 on top of their scholarship – would be fair since big-time football and basketball players generate so much money for their schools.

Let me start the argument by making a proposal to parents and students alike. I am going to ask you to work no more than 20 hours a week for 21 weeks – with at least one mandatory day off every week. For another 23 weeks you'll work no more than eight hours a week. You'll get eight weeks off. (These are all NCAA-mandated time limits).

You will receive fall, spring and both summer sessions of education, plus room, board and all fees paid. For the 604 hours you put in, you'll get an education valued at $33,976 in state and $50,286 out of state (using last year's numbers from Penn State, the latest available). Keep in mind that number does not include several hundred dollars per semester for books and supplies, which are covered under the NCAA scholarship.

At those rates, the student-athlete on full scholarship to Penn State will earn $56.25 per hour if he is an in-state student and $83.25 per hour if he is an out-of-state student.

As a bonus, this full scholarship allows you access to tutors and computer labs and player lounges – all free to you, the student-athlete. Any medical costs incurred beyond your insurance are covered. You can be flown home at the school's expense for funerals or family emergencies. There can be bowl gifts of several hundred dollars as well.

If you and your family have financial difficulties, this scholarship also allows you to receive any Pell Grant money you are qualified for up to the federal maximum of $5,550 per year. There's also a needy student fund allowing for several hundred dollars a year to buy clothes.

When it comes right down to it, this pay package looks pretty good to most of America. An opportunity to attend some of the top universities in the country and graduate with no student loans to pay off looks good when you consider the average college student in this country starts off with $24,000 in debt the day they graduate.

We haven't even begun to discuss the hundreds of thousands of extra earnings you can realize over your lifetime with a college degree that you wouldn't make without one.

Lest we forget, the "job" you'll have is playing football or basketball – a sport you love. If you have the ability and the drive, you will have a chance to play professionally after graduation at a starting salary better than anyone else in your graduating class.

But forget the NFL or NBA for a moment. If I offered that deal to every parent in this country, how many would grumble and say that it isn't enough? But no one discusses this side of the argument. Even members of the media will say this whole thing isn't really about education.

There is the rub. There is the problem. No one sells the student-athletes on the idea that they are getting paid more than $80 an hour for a part-time job. No one tells the student-athlete to go talk to other students on campus who work 30 or 40 hours some weeks and will still owe tens of thousands of dollars when they graduate.

It is all about perspective. The reality is that a few hundred more dollars or even a few thousand dollars to help cover the cost of attendance isn't going to erase the cheating that goes on. The cheating that's going on is for a lot more money than the cost of attendance.

The problem is what society sells to big-time athletes and their families. Society sells lights, camera, the NFL or NBA. Those are sexy products. What isn't being sold is education, studying and a chance to enrich the mind and get rich in the classroom.

While I applaud the idea of evaluating what we can do to help student-athletes, the truth is that the package they are getting is a strong pay structure. Schools, athletes and their families need to be reminded of what they are getting and how they can get the full value of the pay package they're receiving.

If a student-athlete demands the educational opportunity he is entitled to for his work on the field or the court, then he has received the most valuable pay he could get. Ultimately they control how much value they get from the university.

If they fail to see it, they should walk through campus and ask around to see how many other students would gladly take the deal that the full-scholarship student-athlete is getting.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-13-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
^ Which I think is spot on
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-13-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
Thanks for finding that Nick. That really puts it in perspective.

The other thing is you can't pay just the football or basketball team. If you pay them you are going to have to pay every student athlete no matter how much the sport costs the university. Title 9 also means you will be paying all womens sports which cost the universities a ton of money, generally wiping out any money they made off of Men's Football and Basketball.