Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2011, 9:03 PM Reply   
It has been a while since I logged in here but I have the itch again and have been spending quite a bit of time considering a few different used boats. I have mostly ridden behind heavily weighted SAN's and some VLX's with just factory ballast and think that I am focused on 04-05 SAN"s but there is a 2003/2004 Mastercraft X2 that is also catching my eye. I have never ridden behind an X2 but am familiar with Mastercraft's style and finish, etc. My question is this... Is the X2 wake very similar to the SAN wake (both 2004)? I know both are narrower beams so the wakes will be narrower (which I like) but am curious if both hulls will kick up the same size and shape wake with equal weight.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-21-2011, 4:38 AM Reply   
Yes, the wakes are fairly similar. They will both be fairly narrow from wake to wake. They both have the potential to get big as well. In my experience, the X2 hull (205v), will get bigger than the SAN. This is just from my experience though. Maybe I've never been in a correctly weighted SAN, but when I did ride it, we had a lot of weight in it. The SAN will also be a little steeper. Both, in comparison to other boats, are steep wakes, but the X2 will have a little smoother transition, and the SAN will be a little more abrupt. If you put about 3500 pounds in the X2, it's my favorite wake (probably tied with a SAN 230 with 5000 pounds). If all other things are equal (condition, price, looks, etc), and you're going to make your final decision based on the wake, I'd go for the X2.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-21-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
I actually do not own either boats, but i've spent a lot of time in both, or close to it. one friend of mine has a 01 xstar (same as the x2 your talking about). It has a nice wake and you can load it down and it just gets bigger and bigger, but in my opinion the san does the same, its just steeper. To me it feels like the older san are actually narrower w2w, but it could just be because of how i ride i don't know. I love the san wake, a friend of mine has a 02 san210 and that is the best wake i've ever been on. they are both amazing, but mine is going to have to lean towards the san just because of how i ride. you are going to have to find one and see if they'll let you take it out with them and weight it down or something before you buy it.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-21-2011, 9:12 AM Reply   
+1 for SAN
Old    sperbet            07-21-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
The two boats I ride behind most frequently and my two favorite, by far.

I personally think they are very similar. The 210 is a bit more abrupt with less transition. Both have a real good kick. The 205 will take more weight to get a comprable wake. I think it's a bit finniky as there is a notable difference in wake size when you have under 3,000 #s vs over. I love it with a lot of weight, without a lot of weight, not so much. Where as the 210 can still be fun lightly weighted. The 205 seems to lose it's kick without the weight. As someone above already stated, we've also found 3500 #s to be about the money spot for the 205. When both are properly weighted though it's a coin toss. I own a 210 for the record.
Old    mojo            07-21-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
Mc likes more weight up front bc it rides higher in the bow. Wake is a few feet wider. With new steering cables the nautique will steer better. In my old mc I put 750 on each side in stern and 1000k in the bow, sometimes a 400 on the floor by the rear bench seat. 210-wedge sacs, 1000-1200 in bow, and sometimes the 400 in same spot. Mc takes more energy to ride while 210 has a heavy 3 stage wake. I've owned both and like both, but 210 would be my choice. Your 210 cover will suck if it's from nautique.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2011, 10:48 AM Reply   
Some accurate posts above. The 205 is definitely a wider wake...I ride 80' on it; 85' on the SAN. I really like both wakes, and, as I get older and more beat up, have been gravitating to like the 205 a bit better at times -- far more transition before a nice kick at the end than the SAN. The 205 has to be weighted more heavily, though. About 1000-1500 pounds more heavily. Both are really fun wakes, but the 205 is quite a bit different than the SAN. I think the 205 would be better for a wider range of riders. Most have a love/hate with SAN. Take the 205 for a test drive and sack it out....
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-23-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Good information here. I assumed the two would be similar given their similar hull size/shape. I didn't realize the X2 would need an additional 1000 lbs over the SAN. If that is the case, I may have to rule the X2 out because my typical riding crew is 3 people total and we are on a lake that gets beat up by 8:30AM so I can't spend time filling sacks in the morning. Either way, I'm looking at a couple (04 SAN and 04 X2) this weekend and will try to get the X2 on the water.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
Don't think that you'll be spending all the time filling up sacks if you go with the X2. Three of those bags (2-750s, and belly bag) are all on auto pumps, so really you are only filling 1 sac that is external...the bow triangle. Put 2 tsunami pumps on it, and you'll be ready to rock in 10 minutes. That will put you at 3000 pounds of ballast. If you have an extra 5 minutes, you can fill up another 440 or so on the floor against the back seats.

I'd recommend riding both wakes (each weighted appropriately) and make your decision on that.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
Everything has been said, pretty much every post is accurate. You can search this debate to death as well. If I was a 18 year old with golden knees I'd rather have a SAN, but now that I'm a decade older and on aftermarket knee equipment I'm happy to ride my 205, the extra tranny is not trivial.

Also, weighting advice is right, run 500-750 in each locker depending on the number of people in the boat, full belly sack. Then, I use the hide away bow sack which maybe is 250-300 lbs. Then just throw a 400 on top or in the walkway all the way forward. I leave the hidden bow sack full all year, only fill it once and empty it once. One pump can fill that 400 just as fast as your automatic ballast will fill the 750s and belly sack, so you shouldn't waste any time.

Last edited by joe_crawley; 07-23-2011 at 4:34 PM.