Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-19-2010, 3:33 PM Reply   
My girl and I are getting married on Aug 28th. We want to go somewhere out of the country. We're thinking Jamica,but we're open to any ideas. I'm just worried that it might be to hot that time of the year.

Things we want:

All inclusive
Couples resort
Lots of activities
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-19-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
Hawai Maui or the big island.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-20-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
Sandals Negril is great, jsut went, Not for a honeymoon but with my girlfriend. was really nice. relaxing, they have a prostar and wakebaord and stuff. Sialing drinking. the whole deal. For 2 people including airfair was 3800. U can upgrade to the swim up suites which are sick. i think there much mroe expensive. Oh and its a couples resort. The only downside is its about 1hr 15 mins from the airport. Was a fun ride though to be honest.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
I don't know if you're interested in going to Mexico, but we're going to the Excellence Playa Mujeres, near Cancun. All-inclusive, adults only.

http://www.excellence-resorts.com/al...res-mexico.htm

For 4 nights for two people, including air fare, it was only 1700 dollars. MUCH less than we paid to go to Hawaii a couple of years ago.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-20-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
Mexico was on the short list for a while. It's just getting too crazy down there. One thing I learned in the Marines was to try to blend in, in a hostile enviroment. Well a 6' 3", 240# white guy wouldn't blend in that well in that "war zone".

Rob, Sandles Nigril is on the very short list.

Any others?
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
I wouldn't consider a five star resort in cancun to be a war zone.

A good friend of mine goes to Sandals Negril once a year and she LOVES it. Swears by it.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2010, 3:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
I wouldn't consider a five star resort in cancun to be a war zone.
these are from last year so take them for what they're worth.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7897345.stm
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar...-cancun-drugs2

this one's newer:
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN...pe=marketsNews
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Joe, but I'll take my chances.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-20-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Hahahaha yeah great articles.. Sounds like any major city in America.. I will continue to go to Mexico and have a spectacular time for a fraction of the cost. American media/tourist industry/government trying to keep tourist dollars in the states imo
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-21-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Another great place is Beaches Turks & Caicos. Very relaxing. Not much partying, Great food and people. I went about 8 yrs ago so its been a while. BUt amazing beaches. Reefs right of the beach. Everything included. Cool area. Not too dangerous. I would recommend it for a couple or honeymoon. Kinda expensive but worht it. Oh yeah and the pools are amazing. Huge, heated. swim up bars.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-21-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Granted you'll have ocean breezes, but late August where I'm at ( Houston, Texas) people start dyin ( literally) due to heat. Africa hot! I love the heat, but late august, early september can be unbearable.

Not to mention, your right in Hurricane season. Supposedly this year is gonna be a bad one......
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-21-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
We were in Xcaret MX in mid Sept for our HM yrs ago.

Jungle hot, as in take a shower, open the front door and wham, sweating before you get off the front porch.

End of Aug = Hurricane season so take that into consideration. That is why we chose the yucatan (though not totally safe, pretty safe). Aruba is outside the belt as well...
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-21-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
We're going to Mexico mid-late October.. also during Hurricane season, though at the tail end. Crossing my fingers. My co-workers was trapped in Cancun during Wilma. Her story almost scared me away from Mexico. Almost.

Manzo - Xcaret looks awesome. How was it? I'd really like to snorkel there.. but we're going to a pretty far drive away.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-23-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
We're pretty much settling in on Sandals Negril. But now I'm more confused then ever. What is the difference between booking with Apple, Funjet, Travelosity, or just going straight to the Sandals web site? Everyone has what appears to be the same trip, to the same place, for different prices. Do you get anything different from the various agency's? Or should I just go with the best price?

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm new to the vacation traveling world.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-23-2010, 3:53 PM Reply   
I've never gone to Negril, but for my vacation I used Expedia.com. Travelocity was similar in price. Apple was MUCH more expensive and directly through the website was a total joke.

good luck!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-24-2010, 5:02 AM Reply   
Lizzy, never made it to the park... Cut a 14 day honeymoon short by 10 days when my pregnant wife came down with strep throat from some ass at the wedding. When the resort doctor looked on google to find out what to give her (true story) I called the travel anger and on our way home we were...

Looked awesome though, were scheduled to go there the next day.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-26-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
Manzo - Oh that sucks! Sorry to hear that. Note to self... don't get sick in Mexico. Yikes!
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
that whole thing was a trip, friggin google.mx!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
Joe, I booked through a travel agent. For 2 people in a balcony suite, like one level up from the bottom in upgrade terms, was like 3800 including airfair from JFK. The only prob is we didnt get a balcony and they wouldnt help me out at all bc i booked thorugh a agent. In the future i would only book through Sandals. You can negotiate the price with them a little and wil be able to get answers and service you need whenever. And possibly and upgrade when checking in. When booking elsewhere Sandals kinda says take it up with them. Which can be a pain, i know it was for me. The swim up suites are super pimp, if you can afford it that the way to go but not necessary. We didnt spend much time in the room other than sleeping off hangovers. If you have any other questions let me know. Place is super fun and very relaxing. And they have wakeboarding.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
oh yeah i would call Sandasl direct opposed to booking online. Online is generally top dollar. a real person can work a deal with you. Might wanna shop around and have the price match or lower
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
^^^ Just IMO, travelling out of country at all, I would not book through anyone other than an agent. The example is in the story I shared above. When my preggers wife got sick in MX, it was one telephone call and there was a car to take us to the APO the next days, updated tix on the airline et al.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
^^^ I'm with Manzo. I've been booking with the same agent for the last 5 years for all out of country trips. Any minor issues that come up, she's the one who handles everything for me.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-27-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
You may be right going with an agent. My agent was in her 60's and prob should have retired 20 yrs ago. LIttle out of the loop. I prob jsut had a bad experience.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-27-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
The agent thing is my biggest problem. I went to 2 different agents in town. Both times it was a galactic waste of time. They didn't know anything more then I found out on my own.

If we do end up at Sandals, I'll take Rob's advise and call direct.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-27-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
I'm going to St Lucia next week at a Sandals resort.... I'll let you know in a few weeks how it was
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-27-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
My wife and I got married last August and we stayed at the Excellence Riviera Maya in the Riviera Maya, Mexico. Unbelievable place! All-inclusive, spectacular food, beautiful grounds, extremely caring and nice staff, great activities, an all-around phenomenal time! We are going to go back for our two year anniversary (would have for our first but have another big ticket item to spend our dough on). Check it out. We booked through Liberty Travel.

Edit: Oh and don't worry about the violence in Mexico. It's isolated inland and no where near the resorts. We went right at the height of the violence and we a little worried but didn't have any problems and we went all over. (Playa del Carmen, Xcaret. Xel-ha, Telum, Cozumel, dinner cruise out of Cancun) The people there are so hospitable.....

Last edited by newmy79; 04-27-2010 at 6:57 PM.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-28-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
Justin - Awesome to hear. We couldn't decide between Excellence Riviera Maya and Excellence Playa Mujeres. Sounds like we couldn't have gone wrong either way.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-28-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
You can always go down to my families condo in St.Thomas. Not an all inclusive which I don't personally like anyway. The Ritz Carlton is next door so we just go over there to use the pool.
Attached Images

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       05-15-2010, 6:12 PM Reply   
I just booked my trip to Sandals Negril. I ended up going straight to the resort instead of an agent. To be honest, I just couldn't find a good one locally.

I'm hoping they upgrade me once we get there, it should be the slow season.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the input, Joe
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2010, 7:38 PM Reply   
Joe you will have a good time. Make sure to hit up the Sundowner restaurant at the resort. It was the best place and My wife and I ate there the last night of our trip and probably would have eaten there every night. We went 1-7 Sep in 2002. I hope you like rum!! Appleton's Rum specifically. People recommend that you upgrade to the concierge service which opens up lots of choices and service to your room. It will rain for a little bit each day but will blow through pretty quick. The Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant is good too. Make reservations for dinner at the different restaurants for every night and leave the buffet for breakfast and lunch. We took a trip down to Ricks on the Cliffs and had dinner. If I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have paid for a dinner there. I would just put on my board shorts and arrange a ride down there to jump off the cliffs and watch the insane Jamaican guys cliff dive and then head back for a dinner at the resort. The diving is awesome there too. If you are already certified then you can go on the awesome dive trips. If you aren't you are limited to the shallower dives (which still kickass!). If you and your lady want to dive then I would do that everyday because boat diving isn't free in the real world so take advantage of it! Its a fun place just because you are in paradise but it is double the fun if you get involved in all the activities they have. I played pool volleyball every day and had a blast. You earn points when you participate and you earn little trinkets if I remember correctly. Competition between the other guests is fun and you will make short friendships. Oh yeah depending on how long you stay you can also be bussed to other Sandals resorts in Jamaica and stay a night and use the facilities there. I hear that the Ocho Rios resort there is top notch too and you get to swap around its included too. We didn't do this but it was an option. Enjoy the amazing sunsets everyday too.

P.s Hedonism is next door so don't get caught looking at all the topless women! Actually don't look over there too much its pretty much a hotdog cook out if you catch my drift!

Tell us how you liked you trip. Have a blast!

Last edited by depoint50ae; 05-15-2010 at 7:43 PM.