Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jessz71)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2016, 7:26 PM Reply   
http://www.fox9.com/news/166837254-story

Was top story on the news tonight
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
Target fixation at it's worst.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-29-2016, 6:38 AM Reply   
Agreed^^^^ not saying I would miss it but I would have used a-little more front brake. I had a buddy go down in-front of me like that on the highway and I pretty much stood it on the front wheel trying to miss his bike after it hit the guard rail and bounced back in-front of me.
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-29-2016, 11:05 AM Reply   
Let's not blame the motorcyclist. This was clearly the fault of whoever didn't tie their crap down properly. I see it all the time. There have been instances here in WA where commercial logging trucks were dropping logs on the road and actually killed people. Learn to tie some real knots or use some damn straps.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-29-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
Jeez, why the hell didn't they shove that thing in the boat under the cover.... That's the exact reason I stay as far away from any trailered boat I see with tubes strapped on. It seems like there's at least 4 or 5 news stories a summer up here about something flying out/off of a boat and causing accidents.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-29-2016, 12:51 PM Reply   
Not blaming the motorcyclist. But watch the rider and see how he turns into the object.
It happens lots of time when riders freak out and concentrate on an object.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-29-2016, 2:41 PM Reply   
So first off both of them are morons. The guy should have tied that down better... and the motorcycle didn't even try to miss it lol, here let me just casually change lanes hoping it will work...
Old     (feral)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-29-2016, 3:13 PM Reply   
Wtf? Even commenting on the motorcyclist is bollocks.
The things came accross his path and it would have been both very quick and very unpredicatbale. Hitting it stright may well have been better than sideways anyway - quick mono and over it and he could have been road raging the driver - yep really?
Yep it looked dodgey and he could have changed lanes earlier but a fugging flaoting matt fell off in front of him you try avoiding it.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-29-2016, 5:54 PM Reply   
Agree I also avoid boats with boards in the racks. Some people are just clueless
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-30-2016, 8:41 AM Reply   
the dude was a newb rider . They also sure don't have you follow along behind a truck while throwing objects out t motorcycle rider school for gods sakes .lol. I will say that he should have had a better idea of the lane next to him so he could have known if he had that area to swerve into .
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-30-2016, 8:43 AM Reply   
I should add that you also need lots of seat time to be able to process enough info while riding to know thing like if the lane was available next to him .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-01-2016, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Agree I also avoid boats with boards in the racks. Some people are just clueless
thought surely this was a case of a wakeboard flying out of the rack
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2016, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuhleman View Post
So first off both of them are morons. The guy should have tied that down better... and the motorcycle didn't even try to miss it lol, here let me just casually change lanes hoping it will work...
Easy for you to say buddy. He had two choices.....dodge left or dodge right, and hope he anticipates the path of the obstacle. If you're not 100% sure about what is coming up behind you in the other lanes, on a bike, you're going to question the option to just dart over into another lane where another car may be waiting to gobble you up.

But If you're forced to ride through an object, the best bet is to lean back and throttle through it.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-01-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever seen a board fly from a modern rack? Just asking. I've been trolled for rotating my boards into the boat and driving back to the storage like that. I don't even break 35mph, but some people are so ready to dispense their knowledge of wakeboard rules...
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-01-2016, 8:44 AM Reply   
If the wonder liberal state of California it wouldn't have happened. Towing is limited to 55MPH and only in the right lane unless passing.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-01-2016, 8:47 AM Reply   
I thought those bikes went from 60-0 in like 100 feet.

i have only ridden for 1 year... then i sold it before i got killed... but my instinct would have been to stop and not swerve, but in doing so i would have been thinking the car behind me was gong to take me out.

one of the many reasons my bike was sold... too many variables/stress every-time on it.

Glad he was okay.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-01-2016, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
Has anyone ever seen a board fly from a modern rack? Just asking. I've been trolled for rotating my boards into the boat and driving back to the storage like that. I don't even break 35mph, but some people are so ready to dispense their knowledge of wakeboard rules...
35 mph is one thing. interstate speeds with people everywhere is another.

Yes, I've seen boards come out of racks
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-05-2016, 8:21 AM Reply   
I saw 3 instances where landscape debris came off trucks. I could see that it was going to happen so I got out of the way but each time there was someone happy to move into the tailgate position and get hit. You could see the stuff was going to fall - people just don't think!

I have also seen on numerous occasions items flying out of the back of pickup trucks. I have hit pallets, wood 4x4's, ladders and small sections of pipe that were reflected from traffic ahead. My Grandmother was almost impaled by a flying steel pipe that came thorough her windshield.

I also notice that if I have something (always well secured) in my truck that people want to sit on my bumper as if they are curious about the load. If I proceed a little slow to protect my load the more anxious others get. Should this not be an indication to stay away?

I am a big advocate of STHA - Stay The Hell Away - from any vehicle with a load on the back. Spend enough time on the road and you will see it happen. Take heed.