Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            07-22-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I just wanted to share a couple of pictures - some wakeboard guy and the Matador Beef Stick girls - I guess that cleavage makes folks want beef sticks!

I posted a ton on Webshots:

http://sports.webshots.com/album/578236860CWRQIA
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2010, 9:55 PM Reply   
Cleavage and beefsticks. I dunnow, that just doesn't sound right. ;-)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
The future of wakesurfing...

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2010, 10:12 PM Reply   
This is a cool rig. Did they fit 2 boats in this thing? That is very cool.

Old    surfdad            07-23-2010, 3:35 AM Reply   
Do you like that future wakesurf boat? There were 4 people inside and, as I remember, 6 teeth.

huh - I didn't notice that trailer, you might recognize the BACK of that trailer in the picture with the ladies and the beefstick product. You understanding how compeling beefsticks are ragboy, makes it hard to even SEE 53' long trailers. By the time we arrived, everything was set up, so I don't really know what that used that for.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2010, 4:02 AM Reply   
lol, beefstick and cleavage, that still cracks me up. Just rolls off the tongue.

Either way, thats a cool rig.
Old    surfdad            07-23-2010, 4:30 AM Reply   
That is a cool phrase. I'll try and take more pictures of cleav....err, I mean of the beefstick related personnel and product.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-23-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
cleavage..... blocked here at work.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-23-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
At the last worlds they had an even larger trailer hooked to a semi. Think Nascar type rig. They had no boats in it, just swag, and places to do stuff? It really just acted as a command center.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-23-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
Jeff,

Was looking at your pictures, and it looks like everyone is wearing a uniform shirt or life vest. Kind of a blue color. But no pictures up close of this . Are they requiring some kind of uniform vest or something? Just curious
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-23-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
beefsticks and cleavage, two of my favorite things, well cleavage anyway HaHa
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
@anthonyv911 it just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it? We need to start a site or company, where that is the slogan.
Old     (lg_norris_laker)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-23-2010, 4:53 PM Reply   
Jeff, Thanks for all the great pictures! Keep them coming! Good luck to James (and Robbie)!!!! And you and your lovely wife too!!!!! Wish we were there with you all. -Loni
Old    surfdad            07-23-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
@ DD - yes, I believe the term is a "penny". I may have spelled it wrong, but it's like a jersey.

It seems that ONLY men get hungry for beefsticks, and there were Red Bull drinks there today that seemed to get EVERYBODY's attention regardless of gender.

There was an issue involving a prop and a rope used to tie down a ski jump so the men's open surf prelim's did NOT happen today - not sure how that will impact results as lots of people were grumbling they were ready to ride TODAY and morning isn't their best. Anyway...accidents happen and be sure to blame Jeff Page!

@ Loni - we so miss you guys! Spent lots of time chatting with Robbie and he rode very well. Say hello to Roy and Kailey for us and of course yourself!

@ DD and Ragboy, there was a BOAT in there! I snapped a picture looking in.

New album at Webshots.

http://community.webshots.com/album/578235621GizHPl
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for putting up the pics. Frank Wolter texted me, excited about how well of a run Chris did. I found these pics, go Chris!

Judy I am sure giving him praise.

Way to go Chris.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-23-2010, 10:44 PM Reply   
How is everyone liking the 2011 boats to ride behind?
Old    surfdad            07-24-2010, 3:54 AM Reply   
It's been mixed. I think the river flow, which seems around 1 to 2 mph, effects the wake. Speed setting for folks are typically 10.8 down stream and 9.8 upstream. I haven't heard anyone say THE BEST! or THE WORST! so I'd guess it's somewhere in between.

It's raining off and on here, yesterday eveneing we had lightning. If there are thundershowers they won't ride, but if it's just rain - they are going out. I forgot to mention that there are still two riders from the women's open surf left to ride, I believe there is a chance that the entire class may be rerun today.
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-24-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Keep the updates coming for those of us that were not able to make it.
Towanza the official site has been down the last 2 days, and Centurion crew is also down today. YOU seem to be our only pipeline for news!!! Can you let us know who is going to be in the finals of each division?

Thanks for all the pics and updates.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-24-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Finals Mens open surf Chase, James, Wes Beck, Nick Scott
Mens open skim Drew, Dominic, Sean, Keenan
womens Open skim Bri, Jac,
Women's Open surf Rebecca Ort, Korina Smyrek,Kimberly Nash, Leah Wheelhouse
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-24-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Lots of boat issues. Hit a log with the regular boat during Men's Surf finals and it can't be used. Tried the goofy boat but couldn't form a wake. They found an Avy to finish the event.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-24-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like we need Woody Hayes running back philosophy, "you need a pair and a spare."
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-24-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
From what I'm hearing,

Congrats to James Walker for his win this year!!!!
he was followed up by Chase in 2nd and Wes in 3rd

Congrats to Rebecca Ort for her 1st place win! Korina grabbed 2nd, no results in for 3rd yet
Old    surfdad            07-24-2010, 9:07 PM Reply   
Wild times at the WWSC 2010! James won!!!!!!!!! YES!

Kimberly Nash was third in the women's open.

Men's open skim results (no typo)

First Keenan Flegel
Second Drew Danielo
Third Dominic Legace

Women's Pro Skim

First Bri Cheml
Second Jacqueline Fort

I was on the shore and dock, so couldn't get much in pictures, but I did get this little snippet of James just before the end of his winning run!

Old    surfdad            07-24-2010, 9:34 PM Reply   
I forgot the important classes! The master's divisions

Men's Masters

1) Scott Culp (stupid shuv)
2) Jeff Walker
3) TJ Schramm

Women's Masters

1) Suzanne NLM!
2) Judy Walker

Still trying to find Suzanne's last name.
Old    surfdad            07-24-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
Keenan also won the overall men's title and $4,000 and Bri wone the overall women's title. It was an interesting format, everyone was given 1 pass, maximum of 2 falls. Keenan hit every single skim trick known to man (or at least it seemd) and it was a standup run. Truly amazing to watch. I'm sure it will come out on video at some point and you HAVE to see it to believe it.

I'm working on uploading the pics from today. It got dark at the awards, so my shots are junk. But I was EXTRA careful to get the one with James in first!
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            07-24-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Finally loaded them all up:

http://community.webshots.com/album/578239854YygpEx

If you can find the one picture of Tommy C's son Owen, piling grass on the head of a sleeping friend - it's hilarious.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
Great Job James and Bri! (Sorry, partial to NorCal)

But great job to all else also.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-25-2010, 6:12 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff for taking the time to post results!
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-25-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
YES!! Congrats James! You deserve it more than you know, World Champion James Walker!
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-25-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Flyboy Wakesurf - World Champion Surfboards!!
Congrats James!!
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-25-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
One question: How many riders were riding the SLing Shot Arcane, Broadcast, LF or any other wakeboard company board?
Old     (Squirrel)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-25-2010, 9:06 AM Reply   
Congrats to all the guys who competed and placed!!! Sick competition, can't wait till next year! with all the hype with over $35,000 in cash and prizes, where did it all go? I was expecting the 1st thru 3rd to get huge checks, idk, stuff just didn't seem to add up to over 35,000

And keenan.... Dude.... My new hero.
Old     (lksamm)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hi all. Just a quick point of clarification. Keenan is the mens wakesurfing world champion and Bri is the womens. The world champion was determined by running the top three skim and top three surf together in one heat. James put in an amazing run to edge out Chase and Wes to win the surf division. Keena also won the mens skim division in an amazingly tight final against Drew and Dom. Congrats to all the great riders and props to Drew for handing over the title to Keenan with real class.
Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Permit? I don't need no stinking permit! I've from the Country of Texas! Check the extended clip on the "park police" guy's Glock!
Attached Images

Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-25-2010, 10:57 AM Reply   
the walkers must be the backbone of the surf community ....... judy worked non-stop, jeff got about 5 - ten minute breaks and james seemd busy about half the time ...... congrats to Jeff on his run that he completed, Judy doing " her thing " and James for coming through big time!!!
Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Some of the prizes that were given away, there were also tons given away during the day - the winner of the Simon Says game got a Phase 5 Drew, I believe! And there were all sorts of other things throughout the day.
Attached Images

Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
Thank you Frank - we are sitting in Denver heading back to Cali, poor Judy is still tired from all the pushing off of boats and climbing up and down the stairs to get the names announced. It was great to see you, Chris and your mom. Chris' run was killer! He'll be on the podium next year!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-25-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
@sher I didin't realize that, but from what Jeff said about Keenan's run, it sounds like he deserved it. I hope we get to see it on video, it sounds like an amazing performance.

Congrats Keenen, even if you AREN'T from NorCal. I won't hold it against you. ;-)
Old    surfdad            07-25-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
Yeah - Keenan's standup run for the overall men's title was the single best wakesurf run we've seen. Truly amazing...as was the under 8 boys "bootie shake" contest for Wakeshredder swag and the kids that didn't get the ws gear got Shred Stixx stickers.
Attached Images

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-25-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Good job james,wish I could have went ,looked like fun..would have been a good event for me to bring the family ,maybe next year..
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-25-2010, 4:30 PM Reply   
Wow, congrats to James for winning and to Walker family too. Awesome job!
I gues that title "The Best Wakesurf Family of 2010" is yours!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-25-2010, 5:59 PM Reply   
KEENAN FLEGEL LOOKED LIKE A MACHINE IN THE FINALS! So happy for him. He rode better than anyone all weekend when it mattered the most. I happily lost to him and can't wait for next year. The event was so good Todd and all his help and Centurion Boats made a great contest. James, Chase and Wes kill it on the surf style boards and are so fun to watch. Thank You to everyone who was involved.
Drew
Old    mobster            07-25-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
Congrats to James & Keenan, Now you can follow Ford's plan Win on Sunday Sell on Monday , Glad to see everyone was Stoked
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-25-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
Can't wait to see those keenan runs, sound amazing.
Old     (Squirrel)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-25-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
still no response to my question, anybody?????
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
My pics are up on my webste, direct link robbiegordonphoto.com
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Mitch, money break down was 1st $1000, 2nd $500, 3rd $250 for each pro division. Then over all world champions received a check for $4000. This makes total cash $15000. The rest was from prize boards, trophies, prizepacks, give away, rider kits, etc.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2010, 10:02 AM Reply   
Here are a few teasers!
Attached Images

Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-26-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
So let me get this right. James won the surf division, Keenan won the skim division. But the overall Champion (aka WORLD CHAMPION) was Keenan? If this is so, then James is not the world champion, Keenan is the World Champion. Am I correct?
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
David, the only wake surf boards from the big 3 that I saw were a few lf customs, most people were rockin' Phase 5, Crowley, and Inland Surfer boardss for skim, and Walker Project, Shred Stixx or Fly Boy boards for surf. Definitely good for the wakesurfing industry as a whole!
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-26-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Mark posted this up ahead, good clarification:
"Hi all. Just a quick point of clarification. Keenan is the mens wakesurfing world champion and Bri is the womens. The world champion was determined by running the top three skim and top three surf together in one heat. James put in an amazing run to edge out Chase and Wes to win the surf division. Keena also won the mens skim division in an amazingly tight final against Drew and Dom. Congrats to all the great riders and props to Drew for handing over the title to Keenan with real class."
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-26-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
So then I am correct. James just won the Men's Surf Division and Keenan won the Men's Skim Division - But the WORLD CHAMPION is Keenan, not James as I was reading in other post.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-26-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
So you guys were riding behind an avalanche and a enzo?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Congrats to James and Keenan!

I still dont understand the overall champion thing. how do you judge skim and surf together. its so different. its like judging vert skating and street skating together and saying one is better than the other.
Old     (Squirrel)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-26-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
okay so $15,000 for awards, prize boards proabably about $6000 if even that, prizepacks probably only another $2000 if even that, give aways during the day not more than $500 in clothes and stuff, trophies how much did those cost to make?

so right now i have
$15,000, + $6000, + $2000, +500 = $23,050... surely those trophies didnt cost $12,000???

i just really thought the riders deserved a much bigger cash purse for all the hype it was given
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
For those that don't visit ToWanZa / Wake Outlaws - here's the results!

WOMENS MASTERS
Suzanne McCully
Judy Walker

MENS MASTERS
Scott Culp
Jeff Walker
TJ Schramm

WOMENS AM SKIM
Meredith Kyrush
Chelsea Reedy
Heather Reed

MENS AM SKIM
Noah Flelel
Joey Dryer
Richard McCully

WOMENS AM SURF
Stacia Bank
Ashley Kidd
Anja Neff

MENS AM SURF
Danny Lemke
Jason Miller
Brian Baker

WOMENS PRO SKIM
Bri Chmel
Jaqualine Fort

MENS PRO SKIM
Keenen Flegel
Drew Danielo
Dominic Legace

WOMENS PRO SURF
Rebecca Ort
Korina Skyrek
Kimberly Nash

MENS PRO SURF
James Walker
Chase Hazen
Wes Beck

WOMENS 2010 WORLD WAKESURF CHAMPION
Bri Chmel

MENS 2010 WORLD WAKESURF CHAMPION
Keenen Flegel

Last edited by locwakeoutlawscom; 07-26-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Formatting: CONGRATS AL!
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-26-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
@WakeMitch - I am with you. That confuses the heck out of me and that is why I was asking all the questions.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-26-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
Awesome pictures! I hopw there will be some video to follow.

Congrats to James thats great.

Man the level these riders are taking it to is amazing. Where are we headed?
Old     (StanleyWheelhouse)      Join Date: May 2010       07-26-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
How is everyone liking the 2011 boats to ride behind?
Chris' run was money. I thought we was in contention for the podium Fa Sho.
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-26-2010, 10:26 PM Reply   
I normally wouldn't field this question online but Mitch, I can see you've said it twice and I want you to be able to rest at night. Since there is confusion let me take this opportunity to help you see what it cost to give things away and thank all those that help make events like this. We surely don't want to overhype, but we want share what we've raised and selected as prizes as well.

So thank you to all the WWSC Riders that came out to represent their teams, cities, countries, teams, crews and families.

How do we come up with the numbers Mitch, it doesn't add up?!

I've quickly rounded up or down and dropped the change

$15,000 in Cash
$9,000 in 30 Trophies @ $300
$2800 in F18's
$2211 in P5's (DDs/RZ/SC/PR)
$1396 in IS Squirts
$480 in 3rd Place Inland Bags
$390 in 3rd Place Inland Prize Packs
$2142 in Wake Shredder AM/MAS Packs
$800 in Custom Best Trick TWP Board
$1279 in 3X Skimboards
$539 in Surf Nano

I am sure I am forgetting something...

We also don't count the following:

The custom board and sponsorship team package/contract for 2 Riders from The Walker Project which 2 1st Place Am Surf Riders were offered. That's at least 1k in custom handmade USA wakesurf boards for those winers, plus the usual team soft goods and gear

The Triple-X skim style boards x 4 which is 340 to 1200 depending on the model selected for 2 Riders in the 1st Place Skim that were awarded contracts to join their team. Triple X team riders get more than boards i.e. registration/contests and huge support we don't quantify.

The Riders kits x 75 that included $84 dollar jerseys and over $50 more of cool WWSC and sponsor swag as well.

No clue how much swag/boards/stuffs was given away during the weekend over the Mic from $100.00 Indo Board Challenges, Simon Says, Booty Shakin Contests, Trash Pick-Ups, etc -

Shipping all the prizes - some of the sponsors pay, some of it the organizers pay for, but it is obvious we don't list shipping in the purse, it is not a prize. I list it to help you focus on the reality of event production, what goes into it. These items may help you from counting prizes and looking for "lies" and "overhype" - focus on what these companies DO for the sport.

The tens of thousands of dollars it cost to transport the boats, teams, gear, labor, permits, hotel rooms and the 300 little things that pop up in the production of these events. We obviously don't count this because it is not a prize, but it is a real expense that companies that support the sport actually have to spend to create the opportunity for others to complain about.

I am sure there is more - but more than 35k was given back to the riders and a TON MORE spent to make something like this happen for our sport!

Oh, and by calling out the over-hype of the contest and the math not adding up and needing to know, I will now take the time to thank the following:

Centurion Boats
PCM
ToWanZa Wakesurfing
Atomic Nine
Wake Shredder
The Walker Project
Triple X Skim & Surf
Grindwater
Phase Five
Doghouse Media
Blond Bombshell Photography
Composites One
Boatmate Trailers
Piedmont Plastics
Murphy
MB Quart
Surf Nano
Marine Hardware
Sportboat Trailers
Spradling International Marine
Seadek Marine
Sunbrella
My Finance Guys
Kicker Marine
Tri Vantage
Commercial Sewing
Pioneer Metal
Jack Links
Matador Snacks
Fly High
Challenger Marine
Hilton Minneapolis
City of Minneapolis
US Coast Guard

These are the companies that helped make the 2010 WORLD WAKESURF CHAMPIONSHIPS happen. Find someone else that is spending tens of thousands in producing events and giving out 35k+ at a stop and we'll sign up and help make them bigger. We do this because we realize nothing is accomplished in sitting on the side scrutinizing others efforts.

CLARITY of the SURF & SKIM.

The World Championships requires a WORLD champion. Focusing on PRO class only, a process of elimination was designed in the contest that allowed heats until there were 12 spots available, these 12 spots were split by Surf & Skim divisions for Men & Women. This list of 12 by design, are the 2010 World Champions, 1st - 3rd place, all cash winning spots and the RIGHT to compete for the WORLD TITLE. Yes, this means the 3rd Place Surf World Champion could WIN the WORLD TITLE. The pressure was on and each rider was able to pick their direction and was allowed two falls - the WINNERS, one man and one woman take the title and cash.

How do we judge a Surf Rider Against a Skim Rider for this heat? With a 2010 WWSC Judges Scorecard Silly…

Thank you to everyone that came out, rode, judged, drove, worked in any capacity, sponsored, had ANYTHING to with the event.

HUGE CONGRATS TO ALL THE AM, MASTER & PRO WINNERS - AWESOME!

Huge Congrats to the 1st Place Division World Champion Winners & Overall World Champions - AWESOME!

- Oh, and great pics Rob & Jeff.

PS: Jeff, those weren't Park Police, they were real and they were not accepting any Wake Shredder clothing bribes, no way no how!

Hope that helps Mitch - if not, give me a ring and I can help you. 800.568.7034
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2010, 7:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Todd!

Also something easily overlooked, all of the water/gatorade you could drink to cool down and stay hydrated.

Same $$$ for men and women divisions was also great
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-28-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Yeah Robbie - I forgot about all that and I am sure there is more.

That was a big deal for me, the separation to recognize the surf vs skim style and get those PRO SURF STYLE riders (in 2010), Wes, James, Chase, Nick, Jeremy, Darin, Mark, Chris, Stanley the much deserved opportunity to showcase their skills and podium in a surf specific division.

Matching the women's cash and the men's cash was a GOAL and a HUGH REQUIREMENT for us in 2010, thanks for calling that out Robbie.

ALSO - I totally forgot about the $2000.00 Factory Discount provided by Centurion Boats for all WWSC Registered Riders - that was a $2000.00 x 75 - that's a HUGE deal for this sport, the riders and Centurion just making it happen for Wakesurfing! Centurion Boats continues to innovate from their products perspective but so far above and beyond when it comes to growth - nobody is doing more for the sport anywhere. That's a lot of coin.

Thanks again for all the companies that keep pushing this sport!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-28-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
That factory discount is very cool on Centurions behalf. Does that come over and above and deal they work out at the dealer? So you work out a deal at the deal, then the factory refunds $2k? If so, that is very cool. More manuf. should do that.

I agree on the Girl/Guy. Amy and I have been talking about that, we have to inspire more young women and girls to get out there and throw it down.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-28-2010, 7:11 PM Reply   
Thanx Todd.