Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (kainishida)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
hey wakefolks
I'm up in the great northwest and starting to think about the winter. I just bought my boat this year and need to know what to do in order to winterize. thanks
Old    qwert1420            10-02-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
Here is my list for my MC direct drive. Anyone have comments or suggestions?

1) clean entire boat
2) install fuel stabilizer
3) fill fuel tank
4) remove engine cover & floor board
5) warm up engine
6) change engine oil/filter
7) change transmission oil/filter
8) run engine to check oil levels
9) fog engine
10) run antifreeze through engine
11) check shaft coupling alignment , leave loose
12) loosen drive belt
13) clean flame arrestor
14) lube steering
15) lube shift & throttle cables
16) remove exhaust manifold plugs (2)
17) remove engine drain plugs (2)
18) remove hoses from raw water pump (2)
19) remove 2-1/2" thermostat hose at pump (1)
20) remove 1-1/4" hose off lower end of trans cooler (1)
21) turn engine to remove water
22) remove impeller
23) remove battery
24) clean/spray engine
25) remove propeller
26) duct tape exhaust flaps
27) install engine cover & floor board
28) vent engine cover
29) cover boat
30) lube/check wheel bearings
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-02-2003, 6:36 AM Reply   
question:
Shouldn't steps 16-21 be before step 10??? I usually drain my engine of water then add the antifreeze.

question 2:
why do you duct tape the exhaust flaps? and remove the prop?
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-02-2003, 6:44 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/winterization1.asp
Old    aka Bradley Beach            10-02-2003, 7:15 AM Reply   
Usually I don't duct tape my exhaust flaps shut but I will put a rolled up towel in each hole. This is to keep critters from crawling up in there and nesting if you store your boat outside. I don't store my boat outside so I don't need to do this anymore. Removing the prop isn't necessary unless you are worrying about someone stealing it.
Old    qwert1420            10-02-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
Forrest: I run the engine with antifreeze before I drain it. My owners manual suggested removing the prop & to coat the entire propeller shaft with corrosion resistant metal protectant. Then, in the spring, grease the shaft taper before putting the prop back on.
Old    patrick_adams            10-02-2003, 10:00 AM Reply   
Do you really have a tranny filter?
Old    qwert1420            10-02-2003, 10:32 AM Reply   
How did that post ever get past the fact checker? No tranny filter.
Old    patrick_adams            10-02-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
I really wasn't trying to bust your balls, but I wasn't positive on the tranny filter. Thanks for the clarification.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-02-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
May want to add draining the water from the fuel/water separator and changing the fuel filter to the list.

Fogging the engine in the traditional manner (spraying fogging oil into the intake while it is running) is not recommended for injected engines. Remove each spark plug and spray some perservative oil in each cylinder then turn the engine over by hand a few times. Lets you change/check each of the plugs while you do it.
Old    qwert1420            10-02-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
Good points. Why is fogging the engine in the traditional manner (spraying fogging oil into the intake while it is running) not recommended for injected engines? Does this apply to both throttle body and multi-port fuel injection?
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-02-2003, 4:10 PM Reply   
Yup...applies to both. Fuel stabilizer is plenty to keep the fuel system in good shape. PCM and Indmar both recommend against fogging through the intake. Putting oil through the injectors can cause more problems than it prevents.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       10-02-2003, 4:15 PM Reply   
Oh yea...after you fill the engine with antifreeze, don't drain it. Drain it first, put all plugs back in and then put the raw water pump into a bucket of 50/50 antifreeze and start the motor. Leaving the antifreeze in the motor guards against corrosion and scale formation over the winter that can occur if the motor is drained. Then in the spring, start the motor on a hose and catch the water coming out of the exhaust until it runs clear to avoid polluting your local lake. Makes the spring start up real easy and you don't have to remember where all the plugs were put for the winter.
Old    patrick_adams            10-03-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
Here is my $0.02 regarding fogging and impeller/antifreeze.

I do follow PCM's recommendation (page 54 of the manual you can download online) of fogging my FI engine (GT40). I am not sure why it would not be effective. It would help put a small coat of oil throughout the intake as well as the valves. I then take the plugs out and spray a little fogging oil in the cylinders. I drain all the water out and then remove the impeller. Reassembly the raw water pump (without impeller) and fill the block full of antifreeze solution. The antifreeze helps prevent rust during the lay up time. Then in the spring I drain and put in a new impeller.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-03-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
Pat Frist - comprehensive list!

Patrick Adams et all FYI -

The 1.5x1 'PowerSlot' trans (ZF Hurth) in the newer MC DD's *DO* have a filter.
Old    tattoobling            10-09-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
I've seen a copious outpouring of bs on this thread. 1 or 2 novel ideas:

1)hmmmm...Take it to a dealer?
2)RTFM (Read The ..... Manual)

I'm no technician but isn't fogging oil to protect the cylinder walls, etc. against corrosion?

And finally, I assure you that you would rather drive roofing nails into your skull than participate in that 30 item checklist from hell. Unless your time and happiness aren't worth much you're probably better off paying someone $200 for that amazingly comprehensive, yet possibly overreaching, list of to do's put forth at the top of this thread. Wow.
Old    tattoobling            10-09-2003, 2:59 PM Reply   
Hey Pat Frist -

Now that I look at your list again, I'm thinking it may be straight out of the F....ing Manual. So I guess ya got one choice: Pay someone else.
Old    qwert1420            10-09-2003, 7:39 PM Reply   
Hey clueless-

Hyper down.