Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-31-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
So, some of you may know, that my girl friend frequents this site. She even has a post going, which she is very proud of (Nice pics).

I was invited to a party this past weekend, and wanted her to come. So I got her a plane ticket, and she came. On her way home, (after her flight, after her two hour drive, ... just minutes from her house) a drunk driver decided he needed to be in her lane.

Her car was totalled, and there was some damage to the car next to her, which she was forced to smash into. Then the guy drives away.

They ended up catching the guy, but she is still pretty shaken up.

So, for those of you, that know who I'm talking about, help me tell her, that things will work out.

Thanks,

-X-

P.S. .. Another reason this is important, is because now I can't get my X-Star, until this fiasco is taken care of. ... So, if you see this guy around, tell him I'm pissed!

(Message edited by boarder_x on October 31, 2006)

(Message edited by boarder_x on October 31, 2006)
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
how does your girlfriends totaled car translate into you not getting your X-star? Does she have control of your finances already?
Sounds like she wasn't physically injured? That's something to be thankful for.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       10-31-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
I'm glad they caught the guy, and especaially that your gf is okay.

Drinking and driving is stupid, irresponsible, and should not be tolerated. I hope they put the SOB that hit your GF under the jail.

Good luck to both of you guys going forward!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-31-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Well as for the boat, I want a new boat. She wants me to get an X-Star.... BAD. She said she will pay half, if I get one.

The guy doesn't have insurance, so now she will be buying another car. ... Hence she doesn't have extra cash for a new boat.

...This is NOT the reason for this post. However, putting it in the boat section, I inserted this fact, so David would not delete/ move the post.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-31-2006, 8:36 AM Reply   
Robb, is it a secret who she is? If so, I won't spill the beans.

K, I'm glad to hear you are ok. Keep your chin up and keep positive. Things will be ok. It was GREAT meeting you this weekend.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-31-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Robb- Glad to hear she is okay, I am sure you will get your boat, good things happen to good people.

This is the same reason I always tell my wife to be careful when she drives which her reply is "I am a good driver" and my reply is "it's not your driving I worry about it's the idiots out there with you"
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-31-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Renee, I don't think it's a secret. However, usually at times like this, I "leave out the names, to protect the innocent."

If she wants to introduce herself, then she can, but I wasn't going to.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-31-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
Robb, talk to her about her insurance, in CA we are required to carry uninsured motorist protection that would pay for replacement of the vehicle in a case like this.

Is she from out of state?? Has she talked to her insurance company?? Did she contact a lawyer?? She is due compensation for loss and this DUI guy will have to pay restitution, the courts will see to that. She needs to go after it.

First and foremost I am glad she is all right.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-31-2006, 9:04 AM Reply   
K, All will be okay. Just move back up to NorCal...J/K.
Seriously, it was not your fault and sometimes we can't control our surroundings. Just be thankful you were not injuried.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-31-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I just went through a major car accident, got rear ended at a red light, and am still recovering from back injuries myself. Hopefully she is not injured and can move on with life.

So her car was not insured for comprehensive? Not sure how uninsured motorists would work in this case.

"So, if you see this guy around, tell him I'm pissed!" Who is the guy? Need pictures and names in order to see him around!

Drunk drivers suck!
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-31-2006, 10:02 AM Reply   
compreshensive would not cover her vehicle. if she had collision then her vehicle would either be repaired or totaled with the deductible applied.

in regards to uninsured motorist each state differs. there are two different types of this coverage, first usually cover medical injuries and the second type cover the vehicle. in most cases if someone already carries collision then having umpd would almost be a waste.

i hope she does okay and good luck with the xstar.

when i used to handle claims, i always told people we can always replace cars but we can't replace a lost life.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-31-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Robb:
Sorry to hear this. Glad to her she's ok.
Flux is correct, she certainly has legal recourse against this guy.
I had some jack___ as few years ago hit me, not DUI but uninsured. My uninsured motorist coverage repaired the car.
No worries, I bet they will keep making X-Star's you got lots of time.
Sorry to hear this
G
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-31-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
... I just want to make it clear, that yes, I am dissapointed I won't be getting my boat for a while longer that I hoped. It is insignificant, to the fact that idiots are still on the road, causing others to have a really crappy day.

... This is one of those times, when everyone thinks: "It won't happen to me." Well, here is an example of when it did.

That's what this post was meant for.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-31-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
I see everyone talking about Drinking and Driving and how it's bad and really shunned upon by everyone...

GREAT!!

As I see the pictures on the various forums, I am shocked at the number of people who are advocates of Drinking and Driving in car, but are utter fools when they are in their boats..

Hello people, Drinking and Driving applies to both cars and boats.... (does your boat have a seat belt or airbags?)

The amount of deaths and accidents in the boating industry in the USA is shocking!!

I know in Ontario and cottage country, drinking is strictly enforced, and persons caught drinking and boating, a DUI ticket applies to their regular Driver's licence... not to mention mandatory boating safety courses and licences for operators.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-31-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Okay Greg....where did that come from? HELLO GREG.... Do you somehow think that people were not aware of that info? If you are drinking in a boat, chances are you are going to be in a car/truck on the way home anyway.

DD......beleive in it.

P.S. My boat does not have a seat belt or air bags, but my wife does have very large breasts, so she is somewhat protected.... Then again, 3/4 times she is the DD.....

Sorry for the hi-jack.... The post rubbed me wrong.

EDIT for spelling errors.

(Message edited by Deuce on October 31, 2006)
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       10-31-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Robb!
I'm happy to say that except for a sore back- which just feels like a bad wakeboarding crash, and no car, I am good. The teachers I work with have been so great! I consider myself very lucky, because I was not badly injured. It could have ended my wakeboarding career!
Bob T- No, I don't control any finances but my own. However, I can't afford an x-star on my salary alone. I need a co-owner in able to buy one. Having to purchase another car will mean a down payment. This money wouldl have gone to pay off bills which need to be taken care of before I purchase the boat. I never wanted a boat until Kevin took me out on his x-star and I fell in love!
Tate and Renee-I had a great time at your party! Thanks for the kind words. I'll have to move back up if I get my x-star. I won't want to be without it!
Flux- I'm from here and the car will be covered for payoff, but I'll be out a down payment to purchase again.
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
Kristin, i dont know what your situation is with the value of your car, but you said that insurance would cover the payoff?? Your payoff have NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOUR CAR IS WORTH, so if they are using that to get by the cheap way, fight it. If you owe less than what your car is worth, then you should get the value of the car, NOT THE PAYOFF. of course, on the flipside, if you owe more, then theyre just being really good to you.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-31-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Duece- Sorry don't mean to come across the wrong way, just something I 've been noticing.

I am glad that all parties involved and doing well and the guy was caught. Hopefully the insurance companies will do their appropriate jobs correctly and replace the vehicle..

Also many policies with newer cars offer full replacement value for the first 2 years including any upfront funds used for downpayment. (replacement of a "like" vehicle)