Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    doug4powpow            03-10-2003, 11:47 AM Reply   
OK... Please help a guy looking to buy first wakeboat. I like the price moomba (32,000) But notice the x10 looks like a better built boat. 39,000. 02 x10 no trailer, loaded. And should I consider used. Amazingly the used x 10's are as much as new... Sounds like big value! Any thoughts would be helpful. Thx}}
Old    calawho            03-10-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
x10's and any MC will hold its value far better than the majority of it's competition. x10 is a great boat with a great wake when loaded properly. 39k sounds like a great deal.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
Depending on where you are located, there are a few X-10's on boattrader that are in that price range.

I would consider used. In fact, I would try to find a well taken care of, year old boat with very few hours on it. The first 2-4 years are where I think you take the biggest hit in depreciation with boats.

Just a side note, I don't know what your basis for getting a larger boat is(the 20'9" 95" for the X-10 and 20'8" 95" beam for the LSV). But there are also a few Wakesetter VLXs, X-Stars and SAN on boattrader that I would seriously consider.

E.J.
Old    bambamski            03-11-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hi Doug. I own an 01 X10 that I bought last year. It had 240 hours on it which is double the average and I got a great deal on it at 34K with everything. There are deals out there you just have to keep an eye out for them and you have to be willing to travel. I wouldn't be to worried about finding a boat with really low hours, as long as the boat has been well kept and the service records are up to date. These boats are all well made and if you can find one that is in good shape with higher hours you can probably get a sweet deal on them. I don't know much about the Moomba, but I can tell you we really like our X-10 and for the extra money your're forking out you are buying a great boat. Good luck with your purchase.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-11-2003, 10:21 AM Reply   
Time will tell on the hours.... Of course inboards with numerous hours have stood the test of time, but that was with skiing.

It will be interesting to see what happens now that people are filling their boats with an extra 2-3-4,000 lbs....starting....stopping....starting. Pretty much doubling the weight of the boat even before the weight of people, gear, gas is counted.

Anyway....just an opinion.

E.J.
Old    lunker            03-13-2003, 11:38 AM Reply   
I had the chance to have the two boats side by side last fall. There really is no comparison. The Moomba looks wimpy and cheap compared to the x10. Sorry.

Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-13-2003, 12:04 PM Reply   
I got a moomba last year (Outback not Mobius) and it has held up great no probs at all. We run 1200-1300 ballast in it and put about 120 hours on it. If you think the Moomba looks cheap, look at the Supra similiar but alot of upgraded components.
Old    danp            03-13-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
Lunker
Dont tell me you keep your x10 outside, thats criminal
Old    cws_kahuna            03-13-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
Lunker,
Thats like me saying your Surburban looks cheap and wimpy compared to an Escalade (Just an Example, I actually love Surbubans). We all know the X-10 is a more luxurious boat, but it also cost a lot more. Mastercraft makes a great product though. Your boat looks sweet by the way, I have to keep mine outside too.

Doug,
I bought a 2001 Moomba Mobius new a few years ago and I could not be happier, same hull as the LSV. This was my first boat purchase and I was not willing to fork out an extra $15,000 - $20,000 at the time. I would not hesitate to buy another Moomba, but I will most likely go with a Supra next time. The Mobius LSV is a very good boat. If you want something a little more comparable to the X-10 look at a Supra Launch SSV, maybe a Malibu or Correct Craft boat as well. Supras and Moombas are both made by Skiers Choice. The price on that X-10 Sounds very decent though. If the LSV is $32,000 and the X-10 is $39,000 + Trailer figure about $42,000 or so you need to decide if that $10,000 - $12,000 after taxes is worth it for you.

(Message edited by cws_kahuna on March 13, 2003)
Old    dragon            03-17-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
why is anybody suggesting anything else than MC x-10. the boat is buy far better boat than a moomba.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-17-2003, 11:34 AM Reply   
The MC has a much, much sturdier hull for one. Drive em' both and you'll see.

The price makes it tempting, but if you're planning on keeping it for the long run - think twice. Re-sale is better also.
Old    bcw            03-17-2003, 3:19 PM Reply   
Alright, as far as construction goes here's the low down. Supra and Moomba go down the same production line. They are made almost identical to the mastercraft. Where your pricing difference comes in is A) Moomba takes all the bells and whistles off heir boats to make it more affordable B) You can still get all the bells and whistles they're just options, C) Look at advertising costs with the two manufacturers. Skiers Choice does way less in terms of events. They sponsor the gravity games, MC sponsors just about everything else.. who do you think pays for all of that. I'm not knocking Mastercraft... they make a great quality boat, but as far as quality and construction are concerned, there is very little difference. Look at the warranties, both hav lifetime on the hull, Moomba has 3 year on engine and a year on everything else. Plus if you can get one at a boat show I believe they are offering 3 year on everything. If you want the bells and whistles compare a MC to a Supra. Hope I helped.
Old    bcw            03-17-2003, 3:22 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, as far as resale and hoding it's value is concerned. Check out a NADA blue book. I think you will find a moomba holds it value much better then a mastercraft % wise. Yes, you may get more for a mastercraft, but you pay alot more initially. As far as holding it's value percentage wise Moomba is just about the best on the market.
Old    samcdog            03-17-2003, 3:34 PM Reply   
There is no comparison between a Moomba and a MC. Not to say the Moomba isn't a good boat, but the MC is a better boat period. The Moomba is designed to get you on the water for as low as possible. If you want nicer components -construction than you get the SSV. If you can afford the MC get it.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-18-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
I may get my but kicked for this one but I would rather have the Moomba. I looked at an X-10 the other day and they didn't look like they were built very well. The floor is made of four or five sections that are screwed down with exposed screws. The cup holder next to the driver was flimsy also. I know these are just a few things but It would deter me from spending the extra $. We have had a Moomba for the last 3 years and they work great. They are not plush but they do what they are designed to do - put off a nice wake. We traded in our 3yr old Moomba and only lost 6 grand, no Mastercraft can do that. Oh yeah, and we just got an X-star this year. No hate mail please.
Old    bambamski            03-18-2003, 8:54 AM Reply   
The same construction goes into the x-2 Matt? If Mastercraft has such bad construction and finishing why would you buy one? There is no comparison, take a ride in a moomba/supra and then a X-10/X-2. Look at the finishing under the floor and seats, wiring, ect, when was the last time skiers choice updated their boats? I was in their ssv and Lsv at the boat show and they have been the same since they came out. The height of the gunnels have to be the lowest of any boat that I've seen. I'm not saying the ssv doesn't produce a great wake. It does, however the amount of weight in the boat that I rode in sunk it so low the driver had to be very careful not to have any waves crash over the bow or stern. You want to give Doug some good advice? Drive both of the boats in question and form or your own opinion. My opinion was there was no contest between the two boats, MC won in every category.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-18-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
Pat,

Just some info, the LSV just came out in 2002. It's not like it has been the same for 10 years or something. My 2001 Mobius was a complete hull change from the 2000 and earlier models. The new Outback is a complete new hull for 2003 as well.
Old    bambamski            03-18-2003, 7:30 PM Reply   
Sorry Richard that message didn't come out the way I intended it too. "Updated" wasn't the right word, it's more the style that skiers choice has and it's just not what I was looking for when I was buying my boat. I think we can all agree that in this day in age pretty much every tournament boat out there is pretty well made. I just wanted to say that I felt that the MC's do offer value for the extra money you may pay for them. In the end it comes down to personal preferance and what fits your budget and lifestyle.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-18-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
It's cool Pat, I agree with you saying that all the tournament boats are pretty well built boats. The whole title of this post is really hard anyway because it is difficult to compare these two boats.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-19-2003, 12:26 AM Reply   
My family owns an X star and i love it. All the little things are taken care of with Mastercraft. However i will say that i was very impressed with the moomba and the cost. and what you get for that cost. I talked to the dealer and he said he could get me a 2002 loaded for 34K and i mean loaded like shower heater PP bimini tandem trailer with disc brakes and swing away toungue.
And in all my time on this forum i've never heard a bad thing about moomba. I even got onto boattrader to see if i could get an lsv even cheaper than what the guy told me and i couldn't.
One difference between the moomba and X 10 that i think should be noted is that the moomba has tracking fins and the X 10 does not. I love MC and they do make a pimp boat. But when it comes time for me and my future wife to buy a boat, there's a good chance it will be a moomba. Best bang for your buck and you're not really compromising either.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-19-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
Master Craft = value??..
Old    sprucie            03-20-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
I like X10. I am biased though.