Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
I just got done with a 6 hour run time over memorial day weekend and while I was waiting to pull my boat out of the water, I decided to check the oil. I wiped down the dipstick and reinserted it and when I pulled it out, the oil was about a half inch to high (overfilled) I had the boat service here in the Bay Area (CA). Do I need to drain some out, did I do damage, should I just leave it alone? Any thoughts?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-02-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
No damage done. The overfill may be from someone checking the oil on a trailer. It is easy to remove some oil with a suction pump, just as if you were changing the oil.
If the oil level is too high the crank might hit the oil and aerate it into a froth. You would have seen bubbles on the dipstick when you first pulled it out. It's better to have the level at, but not over, the full mark when the boat is on the water..
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
No bubles on the the dipstick. I will just suck some oil out and make it right. It feels like the right thing to do.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-02-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
FYI - A friend of mine had his oil right on the money mark on his dipstick. He drained 2.5qts from his oil pan. He then added the 6 qts per his manual and was showing over full. He made a new scratch mark for cold full on his dipstick and called it a day.

I would check it again when the boat is level.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-02-2010, 2:36 PM Reply   
Its to be checked on the water, same as tranny and vdrive, with Merccruiser drivetrain anyway. Yes suck out the amount its over filled.
Old     (jumpit13)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-02-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
Check with ballast empty. Will make a differance if the boat is sacd -out.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       06-03-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
I will check it on the water for sure. I will also call my dealer/maintance guys to ask them WTF? Once my warrenty is over on the Sanger I will do all the maintenance myself. Much easier and cheaper.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-03-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Don't fall for the "dealer must perform all maintenance for the warranty to be valid" crap. If you are capable of performing your routine service, and properly document the work and save receipts from the parts, you will be fine.

If you come to something you aren't comfortable with, than have the dealer do it. But the easy stuff almost anyone can pull off, like oil/filter service, fuel filters, etc.

All this coming from a guy that owns a repair shop. But there are plenty of folks that choose to have their service and repair handled by a shop to keep us busy.