Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       04-01-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
I had my 2nd shoulder surgery on my shoulder due to constant dislocation. Ive finished up therapy and im at about 80% strength now. Does anyone on here use a shoulder brace when they ride. If so what are some options out there that would be water safe.
Old    mojo            04-01-2012, 9:12 AM Reply   
Umm, ask ur PT and DOCTOR N
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-01-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Join the club! I had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder. I played D1 baseball at a major university.
Old     (cdtex14)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-02-2012, 6:20 AM Reply   
Check out the ones from EVS. I wore one for several yrs after surgery. I wouldn't say it would prevent a re-injury but it def helps some and it also keeps you aware of your problem.

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/sh...houlder-brace/
Old    sperbet            04-02-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
I've got a rotator cuff that acts up from time to time. I occasionally wear one of these and it works pretty well.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJkBEPMCMAA
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-04-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
I had shoulder issues since 09 with it sublexing and I started wearing an older version of the EVS one posted with the velcro straps. Lasted 2 seasons without issues till it tore and needless to say I'm currently 2 months post op shoulder surgery. I bought the new one posted and the support is not nearly as good as the old one version. Try and find an old version of the SB03 with the 3 velcro straps where you can really taylor the movement and keep your shoulder in a safe zone. It doesn't look as good as the new strap but the support is much butter.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-01-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
I know I'm bumping an old thread but I wanted to offer some advice. I have a torn labrum and tried the EVS brace and some other brands. None of them worked so I made my own "brace" that you may want to try out. Basically its just a piece of neoprene that wraps around my arm right above my elbow with an adjustable strap that connects to the lower strap on my life vest. I can then adjust the strap depending how much movement I want. For my shoulder to pop out my arm needs to go up and back so I just put this tight enough where it will stop my arm before it hits that point but loose enough to have as much movement as possible. This setup will pretty much guarantee your shoulder won't dislocate and I would recommend it for about a year after surgery because it really takes a while before your shoulder is good to go.
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-01-2012, 8:03 PM Reply   
Manny, that sounds good. I've currently been using the EVS brace with velcro straps. It worked great for about 3 seasons, but the velcro has worn out the brace and wont stay strapped any more. The thing you have made actually sounds like it would work great. Could you by any chance post some pics for us??
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-02-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
This is the best pic I have of it. U can see it around my left arm and then it just attaches to the lifejacket. It has an adjustable strap so i can tighten it or loosen it. It's basically a movement vs safety thing. Since its my left hand and I'm goofy it doesn't effect basic inverts. Don't know how it would work for someone if its their main hand or they are really good.
Attached Images

Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-03-2012, 2:51 PM Reply   
Manny, when I played football in HS I had a similar strap that was connected to my shoulder pads except the strap was worn a little higher on the bicep. With your setup, how far can you extend your left arm in front of you and where is it connected to the vest? I haven't had any shoulder issues in a while, but here is some simple advice if don't already know... When I'm in the air and don't think I'm gonna make it I let go of the rope and cross my arms (basically hug my body). Before surgery and what not I would try to catch myself or my arms would flail and that is when I seemed to do the most damage.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-07-2012, 7:12 AM Reply   
My vest has a strap that goes near the waste and the strap for my arm is connected to it. Basically I can loosen it as much as I want. Like you mine only dislocates if i flail my arms. My arm needs to go up, out and back to pop out. I just loosen this up to the point where i can throw my arm in that direction and it will stop it. Been doing this for 4 years now without incident. It won't stop from spins but it would probably make it hard to do something like a whirly if your front arm is the now with the brace.
Old     (Prokurat)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-22-2012, 3:58 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONmHi...9&feature=plcp