Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-14-2003, 8:55 PM Reply   
I have a couple of questions about the BU VLX and LSV.
First of all can you fit a wakeboard in the trunk? If so how many can you fit? What engine would you consider at 3000ft elevation?

Which boat would you consider between the two and why?

Any specific options you would choose and why?

Thanks

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2003, 9:23 PM Reply   
VLX over LSV!
Why optimize for the 7th or 8th person?
Optimize for 3,4,5,6 instead.
Bigger boats are harder to sink.
Bigger boats consume more gas.
Bigger boats have rampier wakes.
I could care less about boards in the lockers.
Save $$$.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-15-2003, 2:45 AM Reply   
Ask Mike-O he has owned both.

Oh, and don't short change yourself just get a Calabria Pro-V instead!

(Message edited by ralph on April 15, 2003)
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-15-2003, 5:58 AM Reply   
Travis,

If wake is the priority, go with the VLX. If size and storage are priority, go with the LSV. An LSV can accomodate a couple of wakeboards in the rear on each side. Maybe as many as three. The sundeck is huge on the LSV. I have a VLX, and have never gotten a wakeboard under the sundeck. Wakeskates I can do, but 138 and larger boards, just don't fit. Maybe they would if I pulled the bindings off, but what a pain. I normally run everything off of the board racks anyways.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-15-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
I would go VLX (and am planning on it as soon as I finish grad school) for all of the reasons stated above. I can see the desire for putting boards in the compartments during transport. While you are riding, the compartments are full of fat sacks though

As far as engine, i couldn't tell you. I have the monsoon 325 in my 02 LXi, and it works great (especially since they replaced my fuel pump) but I am running at lower elevations.

Option wise, I highly recommend the 3 outlet heater. Cleats, Bow eye, etc are good for tying up. I would not order the boat without the wedge. I got my boat with the 4 infinity speakers installed, but added my own amps, subs, and cd/mp3 deck. perfect pass should be a no brainer. tower choice would be based on personal preference. I got the skylon swoop, because although the titan is marginally sturdier, aesthetically I can't stand it. I would not get the forward sloping tower on the VLX because it eliminates boarding the boat without stepping on the vinyl.
Old    swpmwinc            04-15-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
phaeton what gives switching brands or just getting cold feet waiting for the pro v By the way the trunk of the pro v can fit a lf 147 with 3060s and a fluid 137 with bindings and the wifes air chair in 1 trunk
Old    dlb988            04-15-2003, 8:55 AM Reply   
Ask the question on Malibuboatowneers.com. You will get a wealth of information.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-15-2003, 9:07 AM Reply   
The Pro V is more in line with the LSV. Their sizes compare more readily. The Pro V is a much larger boat compared to a VLX. The only difference would be that the VLX and the LSV both have hard tanks under the hatches, so those could pose a storage issue, but Malibu did a good job of keeping those off to the side.

The Monsoon 335 is more than enough motor for either boat. The torque curve on the LS1 isn't great for wakeboarding. If you want more power, get the Hammerhead. The torque curve on the Hammerhead is much better than the LS1. If you have the connections, you can get an 8.1 in the LSV.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-15-2003, 9:11 AM Reply   
Travis,

I did forget to mention the options that I would recommend.

Perfect Pass Wakeboard Digital Pro
Pull up cleats
Flip Boster Seat
Docking Lights
Wedge
Titan Series II
Spinner board racks
Bimini
Three outlet heater
Hot water shower
Extra stereo remote
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-15-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Travis,
I responded to you email and thought that I would add to here that I would go with the VLX with the exact same options that Shawn Burke listed except for the spinner racks. For the price of the spinner racks you could purchase two pair of Titan's normal racks.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-15-2003, 3:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info guy's. So far the Pro-V is still in our future.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       04-15-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
Trav, What's up with the Non-Calabria questions?? Has there been a change in you boat purchase plans? Perhaps a second boat?
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-17-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
Pheton, I have sent you an e mail, but here in public is my pro vs. con. On the LSV you need the Hammerhead for quick planing, otherwise the monsoon is enough. Perfect Pass is a neccesity no matter what. I had the Titan tower on LSV and have Swoop on VLX, for rigidity and stiffness I prefer the Titan, for looks the Swoop. For room there is no doubt that the LSV is the roomiest boat and has the most storage out there. Loved the room. I put 1000# in rear and 875# in front of VLX, but in the LSV I put factory ballast in back, 500# in front of back seat and 875# in front. The VLX planes much quicker, but the LSV isn't that bad. The LSV makes a huge rampy wake with the wedge and is not really that much wider for the size of boat. The VLX wake is sweet. Rampy or add the wedge and it becomes more vert with a nice size. Personally if you are not taking large amounts of people on a regular basis then the VLX is THE boat, but I would take an LSV with the Hammerhead because of the extra roominess. The LSV wake is very nice and you can put a board in the locker. Your options are personal preferences. I had a Midnight Blue/Zephr LSV and now have the White/Zephr VLX. Do the stereo yourself and you will get a better sounding ride.