Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    symbian            07-08-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
What do you veterans recommend for a new boarder. I am 6'3" and weigh 200 lbs....

I am looking for board/binging suggestions.

Old    robertt            07-08-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
I am a newbie too, but can offer you this:

When asking for board/binding combos, you will get at least one suggestion for just about everything. There are other factors than just your size, as I have found out.

How old are you? What type of riding do you want to do? Are you an aggressive learner?

What type of boat? Wake size? Etc.

My wife bought me a board from Dicks when I first bought my boat, it was too small and I didnt know any better...but it got me started. Then an experienced rider that was with me laughed when he saw my 6'5" 250lb butt on a 136, so I logically went right back up to Dicks and traded it up to a 141.

Then I find out that for my specific purposes and wake size that a 3 stage board helps....yada yada yada.

So, I just ordered what I should have gotten the first time.

The least expensive board is one that you buy, keep, and wear out. The whole trade up thing can get old.

Check out grizzly sports if money is a huge issue, get an 05 blem board and some high quality 04 bindings on the cheap. FYI, I ordered a ERA 147 with Temet bindings for well under $500.00 (its what they call a subtle 3 stage rocker, which is supposed to help me get a little more pop with my smallish wake).

I wish I had known before.

If you really want good advice from the experienced ones here, give them further info as noted above. I have found that this site can provide an enormous amount of great information, if you give them the right info to start with.

Hope this helps.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
Demo boards if you are in a place that has a local board shop.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-08-2005, 4:03 PM Reply   
Try out a few different boards (if possible) and see what you like best. I started riding last summer and bought a HL 143 Vero w/ Spin bindings when I first started. It was not long before I outgrew the board and upgraded to a Hyperlite Premier. No matter what people say, don't be afraid to try different brands and see what YOU like best. You'll get everyone and their Mom on here telling you what board is best and why.