Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    crollg            02-15-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
For two years now I have been wanting a boat and the wife finally let me pull the trigger. New boat is a brand new 2004 MC 205V (same hull/boat as X2). Boat has triple KGB ballast and I am adding the 04 MC tower, PP cruise and a cover. Boat has the 310 hp EFI engine, pop up cleats, stereo with sub and amp, teak platform, MC dual axle trailer and is light kakhi with white. Dealer is throwing in some cool MC by Design sticker package for boat and truck for free. Out the door price (tax prep everything) with options above is $44k. Thanks to the guys at Mid State Marine for making it happen for me.

This is my first boat and I am stoked (at 40) to have a boat that I can have tons of fun with.

I have been reading about boats on the WW site for a year and a half and the information on this site helped me make the right choice for me. Thanks for all the great posts on all of the great boats out there.

Now for the newbie boat owner questions. What tools/spare parts should I carry with me on the boat? I already figure on having a spare water pump impellor, spare clamps, a spare accesory belt and extra oil for engine and trans.

Next let me know of the stupid things newbies do that is annoying so I can avoid being that stupid guy with a nice boat. Just want to have fun and be safe.

Thanks in advance
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-15-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
Congradulations!!! Welcome to the club.
First, I would recommend going out on the lake when there is nobody out there a practice your docking. Inboards are different when it comes to docking. They only reverse left or right. I think MC is to the right. Once you get used to it it was sctually easier to dock then an I/O. This might sound korny but it helped me. Less stress when you are by yourself and the lake is empty and plus no spectators.
Here is a informative tool thread.http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/207532.html?1107982563.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-15-2005, 1:14 PM Reply   
Man I have terrible grammar. How is that for a college grad.
Old    jmo52            02-15-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Good Job Bro! This is a thread concerning a new boat owner with good tips. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/discus/messages/3183/211022.html?1108326129
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-15-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
Congrats! Great to hear that you got so much good info from all the great folks that post on here!

Here is a good article to keep you from being "that boat": http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2003/thatboat.asp

Just off the top of my head, here are a few things I have in my boat:
- anchor with Anchor buddy
- anchor spike
- lots of rope
- docking buoys
- Dock Buddies
- tool box
- fire extinguisher
- flotation cushion (Cali law)
- extra life jackets

I'm sure there's a lot more, but that's what I can think of right now. I used to have a bottle of oil, but I hit it with a fin and it ended up all over my carpet. I don't think I'll ever get it all cleaned up!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-15-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
That is awesome. Post some pics. Congrats to you!!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-15-2005, 3:34 PM Reply   
George, I know how you feel buddy. I have had my boat for 3 weeks now and sometimes I just go outside and sit in it listening to the sterio day dreaming about summer. Probabbly going to take it out for the first time end of March. I am definetely going out in the middle of the week so there are very few people at the lake. Need to practice backing it down the ramp. Ive seen new guys at the dock trying to back boats up when there are alot of people waiting and they cant seem to get it. I definetely dont wanna be that guy either. Congrats on the boat have fun and be safe.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-15-2005, 4:18 PM Reply   
congrats! nice choice, especially for your first boat. as far as stupid stuff you'll forget... THE PLUG! :-)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
Here's something I made up for a friend a couple of years ago.
application/vnd.ms-excelboating
Boating procedures.xls (66.0 k)
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-15-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Welcome to the club, even though I am not apart of it. When you are breaking in the engine, that is the best time to practice docking, you can all the people who you want to learn how to as well.

some more things to add to the list are:

Docking lines
A long anchor/tow rope
spare prop and breaker, the dealer can sell you a nice lil kit with all the stuff youd need.

Enjoy the boat!
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
Cliff,
I see rule #7 under launching
"STOP , SET BRAKE, GET OUT AND CHECK THAT YOUR DRAIN PLUG IS IN, NO MATTER WHAT YOUV'E BEEN TOLD."

Shouldn't you have
"carry cork in case there is no plug in the boat and the spare is in the other truck"?

Just a thought!!!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-15-2005, 6:30 PM Reply   
another thing you could add to step 6: turn off headlights at night so you don't blind others trying to back down the ramp.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-15-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Huge congrats - Was that your Valentines Day Gift
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-15-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
Congratulations George! Just have fun and be safe! I am sure you will have many great times on your new boat!
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-15-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
Welcome George!! NOW THE FUN BEGINS!! You will be asking yourself why you didnt do this sooner. Enjoy
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-15-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
WOW! Nice choice. My buddy has an X2 and it is a sweet boat and you will love it!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       02-15-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
George, congrats on the new boat. You'll be happy with it. I'll be back in the area next week, so look for my boat to be rolling around Vandenberg. If you can get a day off during the week let me know and will hit the water.

Greg
Old    zboomer            02-16-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
Congrats man! If I could offer any advice at all, above all it would be "take your time."

Don't let impatient people rush you at the ramp, or anywhere. That's when bad things happen. Seems ever time I've screwed something up it was when I was rushed somehow.

Enjoy!