Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-04-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
I am looking to upgrade my boat this winter. I need a cross-over boat. I know that these boats don't do anything really well but I have varying needs. I still love to slalom ski but don't want a direct drive because of the seating arrangment. I like the space a V-Drive offers. I currently have an '87 Sanger TX. It's an AWSA approved slalom/barefoot boat. It's an I/O so I am used to skiing a boat with the weight at the back. I ski 34mph at 22' off and the wake at this distance and speed is small.

I also like to wakeboard but I am an intermediate at best. I can clear the wake on my back side and get about half way on the front side behind my boat. The wake is small but firm and rampy. Not doing any tricks and probably won't because I don't have time to be hurt and it's just not that important to me. I have friends that are a little better and I assume my kids will be into wakeboarding more than skiing when they get older.

Needless to say, I can't surf behind my boat but I do surf quite a bit behind my friend's MC X-30. I plan to surf the new boat so this is also a consideration. It's not an important one because my main priority is skiing and boarding. My kids are 4 and 6 and I assume the wake will be large enough for them to learn on and we can always surf behind my friend's boat if we want a larger wake.

Here are the boats I am considering right now. My price point is $22,000ish. Any input/comments would be appreciated.

Sanger V210 - 2002 or newer with Black Scorpion - I know this boat has a somewhat legendary wakeboard wake out of the box and more so loaded. I am not concerned about the wakeboard wake because I know it will be enough for me. I assume the ski wake is acceptable because of the low draft this boat has. I am, however, concerned about weighting it for surfing because of the low freeboard. Sanger V215 is a little too heavy for my tow vehicle and outside my price range. This boat is a little under 2,900 lbs dry.

2001 Malibu VLX Sunsetter with Diamond Hull- I want the diamond hull for skiing and have heard that at 22 off the wake is good for skiing. I assume the wakeboard wake is good enough for intermediate riders. I also assume this boat might throw a better surf wake because of the higher freeboard. The beam is also 3" wider so this boat offers a little more room. I was dead set on the Sanger but now I am considering the Bu because I didn't know that this boat only weighs 2,900 lbs dry.

I know you guys are mainly wakeboarders/surfers on this site but I know there is a lot of knowledge about boats on this site too. Any boat you think I am missing based on my desires and price point?