Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-09-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
I was wondering was people were paying to have their trany rebuilt. I was quoted at $2500 for a new one. + $800 to install it I am located in Central California. Also it doesn't seem like it would be hard to install it. I might do it myself. Also I found one Brand new on SKIDIM for $1400 including tax. But the one on SKIDIM doesnt look like it has the compete assembly. Please Help, any advise would be great.
Old    powerstroke            05-09-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
a rebuild should run you about $800. look on ebay. i see some on there about every week or so and no one ever bids.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-09-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
What model tranny you have is super perticular. They are not interchangble but the rotation on the 17c and the 18c are. I have not seen any 17c 1:1 rebuilts on ebay for a long time. They are mostly different ratios or used for high doller plus shipping. So it ends up being more then getting yours rebuilt local. The removal and install can be done by a couple of guys a cherry picker is a plus but two guys can pick it up. That shop is trying to rip you off big time on install. I was quoted half that and I laughed at them.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-10-2005, 6:54 AM Reply   
Nate, where are you located, and what shop would you recomend?
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-10-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Try giving SKIDIM (Discount Inboard Marine) a call. There is a guy with a shop next door to their store that rebuilds Velvet Drives. If I'm not mistaken you can ship it to them and they will have this guy (sorry I can't remember his name) rebuilt it with SKIDIM parts and ship it back to you.

I was going to do this until I found a boat mechanic here locally that moonlights on the side. He rebuilt my tranny for under $500, parts, labor and installation. I helped him take it out and put it back in. Two guys can easily handle the tranny. We used a 2x4 and some rope to lift it in and out. The only thing that takes any expertise is realigning the shaft.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2005, 8:39 PM Reply   
I found another shop that found 2 rebuilt trannys for me, so they are taking care of my boat now. I also looked at SKIDIM. There price is 1400 brand new shiped to California, I almost went with skidim, but this local shop Belmont Marine seems to be trustworthy and reasonable.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       05-24-2005, 8:53 PM Reply   
Local shop? Aren't you in Fresno?

Is that Belmont Marine on Old County Rd?
Old     (jrandol)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Had a new 1:1 delivered to my door with warranty for $650 from Fantastic Finish Marine in Medina, OH. Transmission works great and the people at Fantastic are great.

Old     (jrandol)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
Oh, fogot to add that price was with a core return.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-07-2005, 9:24 PM Reply   
Yeah Im in Fresno, Belmont Marine is on Belmont and 99. I think its been there forever. The price that they are giving me is 650-700.+ a couple hundred to pull and install. I figured time, labor and parts, this is not a bad deal.