Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-17-2013, 7:42 AM Reply   
Ill be riding cable for the second third and fourth times this weekend. I got comfortable with the pull of the cable and had a fine time on rails crossing over from snowboarding. I was exhausted by the time I felt comfortable enough to hit a kicker so i decided not to push it.
This time I'm planning on taking full advantage of the cable, I consider myself an intermediate with many spins and an invert.

I have 2 questions:
What technique is there to hitting a kicker? Build up speed, flat base, pop and spin? Is spinning easier to do TS or HS?
On longer rails I found myself coming off 10 feet or so early, does this have more to do with approach and speed or handle placement? I think I need more slack
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-17-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Also I plan on doing as much pre spinning on my 3s and 5s as possible. I also like zeaching, and air tricks. (I kid) thanks for the help in advance
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-17-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
just go out there and play with it, find the perfect edge at rails, and the kickers might take some getting used to if you normally ride boat. sorry for the horrible advice.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            01-17-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
What cablepark you riding?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-17-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
Any advice is better than none JB I appreciate it and yes I rode almost 100 days of boat this season so it's gonna be extra weird

Lr3 - Not 100% sure yet. How's rixen?

Last edited by simplej; 01-17-2013 at 8:10 AM.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-17-2013, 9:53 AM Reply   
When hitting a rail you can cut to get momentum or you can just hit it without a lot of momentum/edging and get your weight and edge over the outside part of the rail. If you cut with momentum then you will build up tension on the cable and when you are on the rail it will rebound and try to pull you off. Play around with both techniques (or something in between) and figure out which works best for you.

On the boat I find TS spins easier. But on the cable a TS spin feels different to because the cable is pulling from behind you. I think everyone is different in what naturally feels right. So the best advice is the same as above... just do it and see what works for you.

The great thing about the cable is that there is no limit on how many times you can try.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-17-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Good advice from John. Getting pulled off early is very common and just takes some practice. The best way to combat this is to cut into the obstacles later than you think. Don't try to line them up too early. It can be a bit intimidating at first to cut into them late but you'll get the hang of it.

I think HS spinning on the cable is easier. You got the approach right with what you said above. And you can cheat a bit on the handle pull without "pre-spinning" so to speak. So boat is pop, pull, pass but at the cable you can pull, pop, pass to make things a bit easier. The stretch in the rope takes a little getting used to as well. You will be surprised how easy it is to hit the kicker. Just flatten out and bend your knees a bit and you'll get it fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-22-2013, 5:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys! I took it all into account this weekend at the cable and had a good couple of days riding. Cable still feels pretty foreign to me but I still had a blast. Unit kickers are loads of fun and that blue unit tube... That things a blast. I was pretty comfy on rails and kickers and was able to try 270 outs and such along with some kicker spins, no doubt the advice you gave was good about "feeling it" and my edge control. Much appreciated especially because it was my first time out since August.

Also OWC is about the most intimidating place on the planet for a noob hahaha

Last edited by simplej; 01-22-2013 at 5:50 AM.