Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
when yoy buy a $30-80 thousand dollar boat you should get quality every bolt on my boat has rattled lose at one time or another why could the factor not apply thread lock to all bolts.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2009, 6:44 PM Reply   
If you need to take that bolt off good luck.

so it makes sense:
if yoy by a 30$ costing baot, u should the factor apply they're bolts with thread lock but if you kneed to taek them off, you're in trouble
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-05-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
WTF^^^ No more alcohol for you guys.
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2009, 6:59 PM Reply   
the is difrent grades of thread lock some will hold the nut on but are not that hard to remove.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-05-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
LOLWUT?
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-05-2009, 7:10 PM Reply   
Its cuz you bought a Tige not a Wakecraft
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
Hope you didn't pay for your English classes....
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-05-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
I clearly typed terribly to make fun of him.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-05-2009, 9:38 PM Reply   
Tony, if the bolt is originally torqued properly it won't loosen off unless you are in a severe vibration environment. That's a rally car, not a boat. There are some situations where the manufacturer uses a screw or lag bolt. In those situations the thread pitch is too high to be effective with a thread lock product. Those are the reasons that a manufacturer does not normally spend the extra time preparing for, and then applying, the adhesive.
They don't use thread lock on a $200,000 car, unless they found a problem in it's construction. Same applies to a $12,000 car, or an $80,000 boat.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-06-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
Me fail english, that's unpossible! - Ralph Wiggum
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-06-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
brownwood is having all kind of trouble.
Old     (smith86)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-06-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
I think most boats have issues with stuff losening. dont they? What im getting at is everytime i drop my boat off for service thats one of the thing on the check list is to check all the screw and bolts.
maybe the should use nails instead (joking)}
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-06-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
my point is that i have been in many boats and owned 3 diffrent boats and it seems that all three companys lack in craftsmanship.its like your buying a bmw and reciveing a kia.
Old     (ridersdad)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-06-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
You dont need thread lock. They are called nylon lock nuts. Pretty simple. Check out MC.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-06-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
I bet someone at MC claims to have invented Ny-Lock nuts too

I've owned 3 high-end, quality boats and all had stuff loosen up over time, it's normal $.02 except on those really expensive towboats that use lots of plastic and xmas-tree clips to "bolt" them together, so yeah, go check an MC and tell me what you find!
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-06-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
You need a bolt stretcher, that will cure ya.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-07-2009, 2:16 AM Reply   
Or another beer...
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-07-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Why does every one think BMW is the greatest car period? Everyone I have ever known to own one couldn't wait to get rid of it, if they could get rid of it.

it's normal $.02 except on those really expensive towboats that use lots of plastic and xmas-tree clips to "bolt" them together, so yeah, go check an MC and tell me what you find!

Ours is older, 99 model but everything on ours for the most part is SS bolts backed by a SS washer and SS locking nut. Is this plastic clip deal something that has been started recently?
Old     (ridersdad)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
I dont know where he came up with "plastic clip deal". All I was saying is if you have a problem with nuts and bolts loosening, replace the nuts with Ny Locks and problem solved.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Craig, Ridersdad,

One of the so called "big 3" tow boat makers, that is touted as being one of the best, is using plastic automotive style inserts in their interiors and using plastic clips to hold such things as the dash covers on. I've crawled through the bowels of lots of boat, you be surprised at how much alike most are built, and how some "top of the line" boats are put together but not easily seen by the avg consumer.

Ridersdad, your post seemed to imply that MC's are built better and the only ones that use ny-lock nuts.
Old     (pavement_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-07-2009, 10:32 AM Reply   
Doesn't really matter who builds them. Vibration is a fact of life with an inboard ski boat. Just get out the screw driver and socket set and do a little MAINTENANCE on you boat before and after each use. Oh and by the way between me and my chronies there is at least one of each brand on our local beach. We all share the same screwdriver stuck in the tree
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2009, 10:36 AM Reply   
^ agreed, if stuff couldn't wiggle a little, your boat would snap apart like that guys X-10 ... if something is too rigid its going to break a lit faster.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-07-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
AAhh I see. My dash is the only piece I can think of right now that is held on by 3 of the plastic inserts. However, I do not see this as cutting corners due to the fact these just hold the dash in place. Now that I know what you are talking about I wouldn't be to negative towards the use of those things. I believe they are being used for automotive exterior applications as well. They are reasonably strong and usually pretty hard to get off. I doubt you have to worry about them backing off like a bolt.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Nick what X10?

TigeMike shouldnt throw stones in glass houses.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-07-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
Billy

How about nobody throw stones in glass houses...unless you are trapped in one.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
^ Demitri Martin. haha.

Maybe it was an X30 ... the guy who had the MCsucks website... he hit a roller and his boat exploded pretty much.... I could see something like that happening if everything was too tight on a boat, no room to move/give so instead of a little wiggle in the bolt the fiberglass breaks
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Oh that one.It was a X30. That had a great story that never made it to this site or his.
BTW Nick, cwb did their photo shoot here last night. Was hilarious
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
What did they go with this year,
the wakeboard pyramid was good ... hard to up that.

I'm looking to maybe try and get down there at the start of my summer for a short little visit

Call me, I need to hear the story
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Billy,

Please reread the entire thread, I'm not the one bashing brands like some that posted before me. In fact, I have not said anything negative about any specific brand, so no stones tossed by me. But since you brought it up, why is it ok and widely accepted here, to bash on a couple of other brands, but all hell breaks loose, threads and posts get deleted, when one or two other brands get mentioned by name in a negative thread? Answer me that?
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-07-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
i am with tige mike if its not a san or mc it not a real boat on this site. i can point out many problems with any boat company i have a boat for me and my family to enjoy.But for some on here it is a god given right to own this boat or that boat.I started this thread because i wanted to see if other people feel like i do the boats are over priced for the quality.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
I heard Tige' uses all foreign parts, doesn't warranty anything after 30 days, most of the interior work is done in sweatshops, and if an employee screws up once they get fired and replaced (most of the time illegals are hired)

Thats why I don't like tige.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2009, 5:39 PM Reply   
^^^ Gotta call BS on this one, Nick, there's no illegals in Abilene, they are all here in NC taking the driver license test in spanish.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-07-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone can write anything on the internet... why on earth do you believe it all!

Get over it, get in your Tige, go play on the lake!

(Message edited by sidekicknicholas on April 07, 2009)
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2009, 5:46 AM Reply   
Well since we are now stating facts on here, I have always heard that Malibus were made with left over Supra parts.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-08-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
I hear what you are saying Tony, these boats are priced comparable or higher than top shelf autos like Lexus, BMWs, Infinites, but the build quality / reliability is not comparable. The best I can tell, some of that is the nature in which they are built where boats use more single unit hand building processes and the scale of production is not there to systematically develop and implement rigorous automated QCs processes. Some of it is due to the harsher conditions boat operate in, running on an unsuspended water laden environment. There are probably not many real engineering and production differences between brands, the main distinction seems to be how well they market their products and stand behind them and the dealer support.

This price quality discrepancy just seems endemic to this industry.