Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
Hey, I have a canon sd 400 and I also have the canon housing for it. But everytime we shoot with it, after a while, the case starts to get misty because (we assume) of the heat the camera generates.

Does this happen to someone else?? Is there anyway to fix this problem?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-03-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
Put the camera in the housing in a controlled environment like in an air conditioned room. Super critical when shooting in the tropics. Also keep the camera housing out of direct sunlight as much as possible.

Last but not least is to add a desiccant bag. They can be had for free, often found in packaging shipped from overseas, or you can buy reusable ones.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
Im not sure I understand... should I put the camera inside the housing when Im in an air conditioned room, and then go out and use it in the water?

And about the desiccant.... do I put it inside the housing when im going to use it?
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-03-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
Ya you just drop the desiccant bags/tablets in the housing with the camera, just make sure it doesnt get in the way. Ive really only ran into this problem when shooting in cold water....
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-03-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
WOW! I just looked at your profile to see where you were located and yes an air conditioned room would be the best place to load the camera in the housing. If not a car with A/C on recirculate. The desiccant bags are going to be a requirement also. There should be plenty of room for a couple of small bags inside the housing.

The reason for the A/C room is that the air is dryer = less moisture in the housing to fog.

Seal maintenance of the housing is critical to camera life. Most underwater photographers will tell you it is not "if" it will get flooded but "when" it will get flooded. Keep the seal clean, and use only the grease that came with the housing. Many will remove the seal every time and store it inside the housing inside a sandwich bag. I keep my housings/strobes etc. in sealed plastic bags. For my Canon I just keep the housing unlatched seal in place, then store it in a gallon zip lock bag.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
Hey!
Yes I am right in the center of the world, where it is always nice and warm (and sometimes hot!)
I actually dont take the pics underwater, but when we go out and wakeboard and want to take action pics from the tube, after a while it gets misty.

I'll try the A/C trick and I've seen some desiccant bags around my house. I do the same as you do to store it. I found a place that sells o-rings that fit the housing perfectly so I bought some for spare.
Old     (munted)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-08-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
Might sound strange, but I put a new tampon inside my water housing every time I use it. No Moisture forms on the inside lens cover and should a trickle of water get in. they hold much more than you might think.

Other good thing is, as long as there are girls around, you will pretty much never get stuck for one. . .How many of your buddies carry around dessicant in their wallet?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-09-2007, 4:29 AM Reply   
I use these.. I carry 2 in my Pelican 1510 and use one of them in the water housing.

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less.com/detail_pelican_1500d.html

The great thing is that they are re-chargable.. you just throw them in your oven (yeah.. no joke..)
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-22-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
thanks for all your suggestions! i dont think the tampon would fit, but those things david recommended look pretty cool!