Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-26-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
Hey, I've been looking at moving over the past few years and I feel the time is coming soon when it's actually going to happen. I'm just finishing up some schooling here in WI and then I want to GTFO. I've heard from a few different people that Austin is a great place for someone my age (23) but I was originally planning on Orlando, FL or Pheonix, AZ area.

After looking up Austin it seems like a killer place with the best of what FL and AZ both have to offer. Just looking for any insight or opinions from those who have lived or traveled there. My reason for moving is obviously warm weather, I will have a marketing degree when it comes time to move.

How's the job market, housing, overall feel of the area? Any insight would be great and I will most likely visit before the trek.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-27-2011, 6:58 AM Reply   
I live in San Antonio now. I've lived in quite a few different places, and I grew up in Hawaii. If I had my choice to live anywhere it'd be Austin. Austin is such an awesome city. The economy is great, you won't find friendlier people anywhere else, and there are a ton of beautiful women there.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-27-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
Living in an area that is over run with Texans that can't drive worth a $hit and always refer to Texas whenever they can, I don't think very highly of them. That being said, I visited Austin once. It seems like a really cool place, and not what you would picture as being the typical Texas city. If I ever had to move to that state, Austin would be my choice. The idea of having three lakes (Austin, Travis,....drawing a blank on the 3rd) right in the city is a pretty cool idea.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-27-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Austin sucks. Please don't move here.
Old     (RedRum)      Join Date: Nov 2010       05-27-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
Hahah Trace, you sound like me and where I live!
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-27-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Austin is by far the best place in Texas to live, but that being said everyone wants to live there so the job market is very tight, make sure you have something lined up before you move.

On another note, I agree with Trace, Texas has filled up, were not accepting any new transplants now, please check back later.

Last edited by scwellman; 05-27-2011 at 9:55 AM.
Old     (lseghatch)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-27-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
haha thanks guys
Old    SamIngram            05-27-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Old    stillstandin            05-29-2011, 11:25 PM Reply   
I just got back from a conference in Austin, my first time visiting this city. All I can say is wow. I have been to a lot of places, none until now have made me consider leaving California. This place is awesome. Lots of things to do, very friendly people... It has it all. Given a four day weekend, I would choose to hang in Austin over Vegas any day.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-31-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
"On another note, I agree with Trace, Texas has filled up, were not accepting any new transplants now, please check back later."

Sounds like California 5 years ago. Finally there are more people moving out than moving in. Unfortunately our economy and housing market are in absolute ruin. Even the afluent area's have been crushed. Oh well.

I hear Austin is great. We've got a few friends there now, and some family. I'll probably visit in the next year or so.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-31-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Any place with a statue of SRV can't be that bad.