Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
This weekend, went to leave a cove we were in and the anchor was stuck as hell. so i pulled it a bit w/the boat to free it. it was a bit of a struggle, and i didn't notice it immediately, but when we went to get up on plane the boat would bog down above idle. i then noticed my temp was WAY up. so i shut it off, opened the cover and let it cool. after it cooled a bit, restarted it and it ran fine for the rest of the day. then when putting it on the trailer i noticed it did it again. just the little bit of resistance of running it up on the trailer caused the temp to run up real quick.
i'd think if it were the impeller, wouldn't it get hot at idle too. 'cuz it doesn't. only when there's some kind of resistance on the boat in the water. heck, maybe it's always done this, i've just never noticed. BTW, it's time to change my impeller anyway. (been 4 yrs)
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
could be your old impeller stuck in the thermostat.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
What type of boat is it?
I'm guessing clogged trans cooler on the raw water intake line.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
'02 Supra Launch SL (Direct Drive). it runs and cools perfectly under normal conditions. at speed, pulling riders, at idle...etc. only when there's an unusual load on the boat that it does this.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-12-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
something is def hindering your intake of fresh water.. check intake grate under boat and pull intake hose to water pump to see if any obstructions? it may be a piece of old impellar too.. either way, you should def think about changing your impellar way more frequently, every 100 hours or so to keep those (4 yr old) rubber (impellar) pieces from blowing up in the pump housing..
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-12-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
yeah check on your raw water intake there should be a black tube. That's your trans cooler there is a screen on the intake side of it that will get clogged up over time. Just take the intake hose off it reach in and clean it out. You should be good to go. My SSV does the same thing about once a season, I'm assuming it's set up the same way in the DD version.

It's only acting up at higher rpms because at low rpm enough water it still getting through. It's starving for water at high rpms.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-12-2008, 2:48 PM Reply   
thanks for the quick replies guys. i love this site.