Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
I have a 06 v-ride with a tandem axle trailer. The trailer bounces a lot when traveling. Is it too much tongue weight or not enough.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-27-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
The trailer bounces or the truck bounces?

Wrong tires can cause problems with trailer bounce, along with tire pressure. Tongue height matters too, but will usually affect braking more. Beyond that it would have to be design flaw.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
Sorry, trailer is a boatmate and is level when pulling. I seems that is bounces on the back of the tow rig. Almost like there is not enough tongue weight and I pulls up on the truck than slams back down. This happens over bumps or even on a swaying interstate. Towed with other tow rigs and does the same thing.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-27-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
OK that makes more sense. What is the tongue weight? If you search the web there is a way to measure the tongue weight using a bathroom scale and a lever. Then calculate the boat plus trailer weight and you can find out what the proper tongue weight should be so you can compare the actual to the calculated number.

Moving the axles is not an easy task, and something I would consider a design flaw if the trailer is in fact built for THAT boat.

Edit: Well I guess that your tow rig could have a huge impact, so what do you tow with?

(Message edited by peter_c on August 27, 2007)
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
05 GMC 4 door sierra. 1/2 ton. Does the same with my buddies 2500 gmc and a 2500 dodge. Could I move the boat back or forward some.
Old     (zoah)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-27-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
I would make sure the boat is actually sitting flat when you pull it out. Jump on the bow when you pull it out to make sure it doesn't bounce.

I had a problem with my boat bouncing a little when I was trailering it. What was actually happening was, that when I pulled the boat out it wasn't sitting all the way forward like it should. it appeared all the way forward and I couldn't pull it forward with the winch.

what i did to correct it was get the winch cable tight on the ramp, then pull it forward a couple feet and made sure it was taught. it took a couple times to get the boat sitting all the way forward and flat. However, once it was forward it got rid of my bounce while driving.

You also might want to make sure your tire pressure is correct in your trailer tires. Proper inflation psi will be on the tires.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-27-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
60% front/40% rear on your trailer is a good rule of thumb for your trailer weight distribution
Old    stillstandin            08-27-2007, 10:07 PM Reply   
My boat did the same thing untill I moved the hitch height. When level, it bounced, and slammed hard, with the tongue up at a slight angle, it cured the problem.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-27-2007, 11:01 PM Reply   
SCA, it sounds like all you did was put more load on the tongue by loading the rear axle more then it should be(I would say its probably not level now?).
Scotter, generally if your trailer tongue is bouncing it is due to the tongue weight being too little, allowing the tongue to bounce over every small bump.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-28-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
I have one no one has mentioned and it may not apply. When my ballast tanks are empty the boat is still heavily weighted. Most of that is in the back storage lockers. About 1200lbs of the 1800lbs. If I tow with that it bounces. So my point is make sure you are towing the boat weighted the way it is supposed to be.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2007, 6:15 AM Reply   
I hope I am not repeating someone.....I would make sure the front lifting eye on the boat is firmly against the rubber stopper on the trailer. I see this problem time and time again and it makes for a very unsafe and uncomfortable ride. Hope this helps.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
What is the lifting eye.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-28-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
What your hook on your winch connects to.