Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (twise)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Anyone notice a funky smell on the westside of Elsinore the past few weeks? Looks like they got those bubblers working and it is rank. East side was okay, but the west side was polluted!!! Any one got some info on that? I just wanna make sure I dont grow flippers or something. I asked the dude at the marina and he knew nothing. I thought maybe the floating outhouse sprung a leak.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Ha Ha, that's Elsinore for you. Stinks sooo much less than it used to. Don't worry, you won't grow flippers, just an extra arm or a tail.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-18-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
There is a reason it has the nickname "Smells-some-more". I believe the lake's issues are the algae blooms that eat up all the oxygen in the lake thus leaving essentially a dead lake. Probably the single most disgusting lake that people are allowed to ride on. Just wait til September/October when its in really bad shape before the rains.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
The oxygen pumps and the extra water that they pump into the lake have really improved the situation. The lake used to almost dry up all the way, the algea would bloom and all the fish would die from lack of oxygen. You could smell it for mile and miles from the lake. Now you can only really smell anything when you are at or on the lake.
Old     (twise)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Don't get me wrong - I think they have done a great job of cleaning it up. It was just this past few weeks. Really rank on the west side. Just wondering if someone had the scoop on what was up with that.

Elsinore is 15 minutes from my house - Thats my home lake, I gotta love it. We went up to Big Bear last weekend. What a circus on that water. I have not been to Perris, but have been told that it is lame. Short of 5 hours to Mead - what are you going to do. We just spent ten days in Shasta this summer. That place is sick. Planning a Powell trip next summer. I have also been thinking about renting a place in Cyn Lake for a year to see if its worth it.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-18-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
haha... I noticed it the last few times we went to elsinore. This about the time every year it starts to smell. Perris isn't worth going to if you live 15 min form elsi.
Old     (twise)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-18-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
^^^ Yea - Thats what I thought.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-19-2010, 1:26 AM Reply   
What really might surprise you is as bad as Elsinore looks with the murky waters and the sporadic algae blooms, the clear drinking water lakes nearby like Canyon Lake and Perris actually have higher bacteria levels. Those lakes can make you sicker than Elsinore. It has something to do with the algae in Elsinore and how it eats up bactaria. Unfortunately, I have a fairly fragile immune system so not only can I pass on information learned from State Parks Rangers, I can personally testify to it. I get sick nearly every time I wakeboard at Canyon Lake and Perris, but surprisingly not that often at Elsinore. In fact, I get sick more often surfing in the So Cal beaches than I do wakeboarding at Elsinore. Elsinore gets a bad rap, but Its still the best we have around here.
Old     (twise)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-25-2010, 1:11 AM Reply   
I agree - I have never gotten sick - But that smell freaked me out...
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       08-25-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
lol
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-25-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
Agreed! Short of driving 5-6 hrs to mead, 3-4 hrs to the Colorado river or 2-3 hrs to Castaic or dealing with diapers in Perris, Elsinore it is...

I wonder if dredging it or deepening the lake would help? But i bet it would expensive. But on the other hand it would attract more people. I wish they alowed water sports on Diamond Valley lake! That lake is pretty big.

Ahhhh dreams! lol
Old     (Jamesmade)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2010, 12:05 AM Reply   
i have noticed the same thing the past couple weekends. how was big bear? was it super crazy there, and how cold is the water?