Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
I'm not quite sure what direction this thread has gone, but I can offer some input a few of the boats.

MXZ 24' - Super nice boat. The layout of comfort of it was great. The wake is pretty decent...better than I had anticipated it to be. I was only able to ride it with Stock + 400 in each rear locker and the wedge fully deployed. It didn't look anything like Jarrod's MXZ 22 pics above, but I'd imagine the 24' version will take a lot more weight to get a beefy wake. Also, the dealer had literally just gotten it from the factory, so I'm sure with a little testing the wake will only continue to get better.

SAN 230 - Great boat. With a lot of extra weight the wake is awesome. It's big, tall and hard as a rock. My only complaint is you have bags all over the floor. If this is not an issue, you can probably get into a used one for a lot less than what a new one costs. When I was hunting for a new boat, there were lots of saltwater 230s in Florida.

SAN G23 - Yes, I own one, so might have the owners goggles on here, but nothing even come close to the wake of this boat. If someone that has actually ridden one has a different opinion, then I'd be super suprised. I've had a lot of people out with me over the past few months, and all have had nothing but a smile on there face, and the same comments about how they cannot believe how big the wake is. Also, the quality is awesome, in my opinion. The pic below is of stock ballast and just the driver.
Attached Images

Last edited by ironj32; 10-07-2012 at 6:36 AM.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       10-07-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
I'm not quite sure what direction this thread has gone, but I can offer some input a few of the boats.

MXZ 24' - Super nice boat. The layout of comfort of it was great. The wake is pretty decent...better than I had anticipated it to be. I was only able to ride it with Stock + 400 in each rear locker and the wedge fully deployed. It didn't look anything like Jarrod's MXZ 22 pics above, but I'd imagine the 24' version will take a lot more weight to get a beefy wake. Also, the dealer had literally just gotten it from the factory, so I'm sure with a little testing the wake will only continue to get better.

SAN 230 - Great boat. With a lot of extra weight the wake is awesome. It's big, tall and hard as a rock. My only complaint is you have bags all over the floor. If this is not an issue, you can probably get into a used one for a lot less than what a new one costs. When I was hunting for a new boat, there were lots of saltwater 230s in Florida.

SAN G23 - Yes, I own one, so might have the owners goggles on here, but nothing even come close to the wake of this boat. If someone that has actually ridden one has a different opinion, then I'd be super suprised. I've had a lot of people out with me over the past few months, and all have had nothing but a smile on there face, and the same comments about how they cannot believe how big the wake is. Also, the quality is awesome, in my opinion. The pic below is of stock ballast and just the driver.
How come your selling your G23? I have a deposit on a late spring build slot in case I don't like my new Star.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
How come your selling your G23? I have a deposit on a late spring build slot in case I don't like my new Star.
I'd just get another new G23. I put on quite-a-few hours each season, so if I can make it work financially, it'd make sense to do so...will be easier to sell after one year, than after 2 or 3. If anyone is looking to save about $20k on a basically new G23, let me know!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj
The pic below is of stock ballast and just the driver.
That is ridiculous. Like the old photoshop pics that used to show up when ever the big wake willieisms used to start, but real. I would love to hit that.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2012, 8:07 AM Reply   
My buddy got the 24 MXZ this weekend.

The wake is unreal, too big for me, on the advanced setting unless you are pro level rider. I rode advanced but had to put the wedge down to mellow the wake. We surfed a bit, that wake is waist high. (we are not surfers).

The boat handles like a caddy, and turns on a dime.

We did pick up a local shredder and gave him a pull fully loaded (stock). He broke his board on a raley. He was getting seriously booted.

I don't need to do a full scale review of this boat. It does not need it. It is in the same class and costs 20-30K less then the G23? Really? Stupid once again. I have not been in a G23, or a Z3.
Attached Images

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-08-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
with prices going up all the time I am surprised to see what 5 year old boats are worth now, what do you guys think these 2013 100k + - boats will be worth in 5 years with average to high hours, I would think that if someone is willing to spend 100k would use it, so I would say 450hrs in 5 years
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-08-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Drew, I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite happened. I think these ridiculously high prices now, especially on the really high end boats that are over 100k are putting them out of reach of the core rider. The main market they are looking at is crazy rich family that lives on the lake. I think a lot of these G23's, xstars, MXZ's will be trophies to throw on a lift at the end of their dock that will be used mostly for cruising the lake with friends. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the average hours per year on a lot of these boats is less than 50 or maybe even closer to 25 hours a year.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-08-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
That thing is a SHIP! Let's see pictures of the wake!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-08-2012, 1:05 PM Reply   
The wake is beastly. The wedge all the way down is the way I rode it but on the advanced preset. it made for a real nice mellow big wake. 3/4 Wedge was NO man's land. Super Scary big, real lippy over my knees crazy. It was unlike my old VLX's with wedges, all the way down meant for a bigger lippier wake. If you put this one all the way down, it tones the wake down to make it ridable. I did not take any pics of the wake. They will all be here soon enough. This boat don't need sacs period. Unless you ride like Harley and are trying to catch him. If you are....you won't. I will get some pics next time.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-09-2012, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post

Thanks for the info. After talking to my dad we are actually looking into the G23 more and more. It it just a beyond pro level boat for a Ok price. We have a good price for a Coastal Edition too.

In case anyone is wondering a G25 with the 450hp engine is around $150k. With just the basic options.
A G23 is only a around $120k. Crazy difference in price, for a small 3 foot difference in length.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-09-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
^^^just wondering...do you have any older sisters?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-09-2012, 2:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
^^^just wondering...do you have any older sisters?
Great question. Nominated.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Keep fighting kid its part of life and good experience. You will be younger than most for a good part of your life and you may often find yourself under the gun of your elder statesmen. Sometimes you will earn respect other times you will never get it regardless of ability or intent.

My father was a great leader, teacher and father. My Dad would always ask, "what do you think?" on even less important decisions. I would do my research, would work through the details, arrive at a consensus and move forward. I'm sure your input on the final decision will be valued.

After moving from Illinois to attend college in Florida, my father gave me $6,500 to spend on a boat to bring home during the summer. He thought I would bring home a boat he could fish with on Lake Michigan. Our first Mastercraft stars and stripes turned into years of family skiing and great memories. We bought and sold 4 other ski boats over the next 5 years and not only enjoyed each one but turned a profit on each. I also learned a few things in the process.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-09-2012, 6:56 PM Reply   
So you test drove the Z3 and the MXZ and the G23 wake was the best?
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-10-2012, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Great question. Nominated.
Haha, no sorry. Also to the guy above this comment I haven't rode behind then Z3 or MXZ yet but I'm pretty sure my dad and me are no longer interested in the MXZ it is down to the Z3 and G23.

Sorry Malibu and their boat owners.

Last edited by JamesHawk101; 10-10-2012 at 4:16 PM. Reason: Added Malibu part in
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-10-2012, 7:28 PM Reply   
So what is the price difference between the Z3 and G23? If i were you i would tell your dad to save the money and get the Z3 so that the left over money could buy you a truck to pull it or a fast car.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-10-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
It really is no contest between the Z3 and the G23... I would take the mx22 or mx24 over the z...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Yeah, I agree. That's like narrowing down a car buy to a Hyundai and a BMW.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2012, 8:23 AM Reply   
Sorry, that wasn;t very nice. But it made me smile when it popped into my head, so I wrote it.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-11-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Sorry, that wasn;t very nice. But it made me smile when it popped into my head, so I wrote it.
Made me smile also! This kid has to have not even been on a tige to even still be considering it over a G23. Ive said before tige is ok but as much as they'd like to be a big 3 player they still build a budget boat with premium boat price. Sure they have some blingy features here and there but go check one out. Open hatches, look around close, sit on the seats for longer than 5secs, bang on the hull you will see they just don't have the same feel. And yeah yeah yeah they may surf better than other boats but maybe they don't maybe thats hype, I don't care about surfing anyway and not paying 90k to surf!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
" I don't care about surfing anyway and not paying 90k to surf! "

Agreed.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-11-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Ok I am going to pref-is this with the fact I own an MC. Ron curious have you been to both the Tige factory and CC factory? Have you been in a 2012 product produced by Tige? I sat in a G23 at a tradeshow as well as a Z. I will say the G has a bunch more extra stuff to it. I have to say I did not like it as much as I like the 230 of course thats just an opinion thing. I like the styling of a more traditional looking boat. As far as sitting in them they both has similar comfort to them. I sat in both the captains chairs for probably 5 to 10 mins talking to sales reps. The banging on the side explain what that proves do we know how thick the fiber glass is along the entire length of both boats. So CC buys better hinges and hydraulic hatch bars than everyone else? I would say that the G is probably more wakeboard specific and probably throws a bigger wake. I cant believe Ruck and E can even get across the wake on that tiny crappy washed out Z3 wake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT-c-UaZNgA

Poor Randall surprised he is making into the flats behind that piece of crap with bad compartments.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795001

Hey kid good luck on whatever you get and since your in the Tampa area give me a pull when you do. I will bring some cash for gas.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-11-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
I never said the Z3 had a bad wake, but the G23 has an OUTSTANDING wake. I've never been behind a new xstar but there's two boats at the top in my opinion, and one is a G23. I would take a 230 over a Z3 as well...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-11-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
It made me laugh too....
Cause bmw is a lot like tige... Doing things differently, being edgy with their traditional shapes

And when I think about it, Malibu:axis as Lexus:Toyota....
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-11-2012, 3:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
It made me laugh too....
Cause bmw is a lot like tige... Doing things differently, being edgy with their traditional shapes

And when I think about it, Malibu:axis as Lexus:Toyota....
Please! Malibu:axis is more like the Chevy:Geo and we all know that geo ain't around anymore!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-11-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
Wait a minute...he's in Tampa area???? What lake is he putting this new boat on? My fingers are crossed
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-11-2012, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Wait a minute...he's in Tampa area???? What lake is he putting this new boat on? My fingers are crossed
Dang...just saw he's IRB. Still close, so its going to be ridden in salt water? The guys over at marineMax are good guys, your CC dealer.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-11-2012, 3:51 PM Reply   
I agree that its tough to compare the Z3 and the G23. But it's also hard to not notice the price difference. Real world difference must be close to 30K OTD. So it's really not an apples to apples comparison. Those boats are different leagues and different budgets.

It like me right now shopping in the 50K range and then throwing the G into the mix. Sure it's pretty much hands down better in every way, but it's also in a different price and category. Shouldn't even compare to others in the 50K budget and doesn't.

Just plain tough to be comparing those 2 boats. I am turning into a Tige guy, but if price wasn't an option it would be pretty tough to not take the G23. Not taking anything away from the Z3 because I love the boat, just in a different league all together.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-11-2012, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
A Hyundai is one of the top selling cars with the best warranty in the industry. A BMW is a expensive car that costs a lot to repair and doesn't sell as well as the Hyundai. It also doesn't have as good of a warranty. Bottom line is the G23 costs a lot more than the Z3. Honestly have you ridden in and behind a Z3 or just talkin Chit.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-12-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
I may lose wake size but I would go with the 230 over the G23. The G series has not grown on me yet prefer the look of the 210 and 230 over the G.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-12-2012, 7:45 AM Reply   
A Casio keeps better time than a Rolex, but which one would you rather have?

Purely chit talking, Robert! :-)
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2012, 7:54 AM Reply   
I say have your dad keep his searay and go pick up a couple year old SAN210(or any other awesome wakeboard boat like the late moddel Xstar, used VLX, New or used Axis A22, MB, used SAN230, etc.) for half the price of the G23.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-12-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:

Lots of nice fake Rolex out there too!
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-12-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
I say have your dad keep his searay and go pick up a couple year old SAN210(or any other awesome wakeboard boat like the late moddel Xstar, used VLX, New or used Axis A22, MB, used SAN230, etc.) for half the price of the G23.
Now that's probably the best idea I've heard in this thread!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-12-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:

The Casio it has a better warranty and performs better.Also a much better value for the dollar.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-12-2012, 11:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Now I would be all for this idea but here is the thing when you have 2 boats it is double the insurance, gas, keep up, pretty much double everything. Also I live on the coast where u absolutely NEED a lift. We only have one so there is another few thousand into a another lift. I am not even sure if the dock codes allow two in my town. Also we don't use the sea ray for what it is made for what so ever. I wakeboard and cruise around, it is a 30 foot boat that is meant for dinner partys. Having said that it is a better option to trade in the sea ray and then get a G23.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-13-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHawk101 View Post
Now I would be all for this idea but here is the thing when you have 2 boats it is double the insurance, gas, keep up, pretty much double everything. Also I live on the coast where u absolutely NEED a lift. We only have one so there is another few thousand into a another lift. I am not even sure if the dock codes allow two in my town. Also we don't use the sea ray for what it is made for what so ever. I wakeboard and cruise around, it is a 30 foot boat that is meant for dinner partys. Having said that it is a better option to trade in the sea ray and then get a G23.
Well all good reasons to get rid of the searay. Since you live on the coast it would be nice to have a deeper boat like the G23 so you can still use the boat as a cruiser some as well. Sounds like you are sold on the G23. If you family is as well do it up.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-13-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
The G also has a really deep freeboard which is beneficial in the deeper/choppier waters and it has a ton of interior room. You could get the table option for that boat and host dinner parties on your G while watching videos through the LINC system.... Or hook up an Xbox to it lol
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-13-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
The G also has a really deep freeboard which is beneficial in the deeper/choppier waters and it has a ton of interior room. You could get the table option for that boat and host dinner parties on your G while watching videos through the LINC system.... Or hook up an Xbox to it lol
Now there is a idea. Does anyone know the resolution of the tower cam? I wanna know if it is worth getting.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-13-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
I still say keep the big boat and look for something like a used 210 or a Xstar. If you live on big water then there's no substitution for the Sea Ray. if you just want to cruise and entertain people I would not be putting those type of hours on my hundred thousand dollar towboat! You would save so much money going this route you could pay for 10 lifts and 10 years worth of insurance before jt cost you more money. Also how good is this water that the Sea Ray is on?maybe you want a boat that you can keep on the trailer to take to inland lakes to board.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-13-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Now there is a idea. Does anyone know the resolution of the tower cam? I wanna know if it is worth getting.
The tower camera on the Z3 is HD quality and you can record your session to a SD card and down load it to your computer. The stock card will record 85 to 90 minutes of video. You can also view your session on the Tige Touch screen,as well as watching it live!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-13-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
I wouldnt want an older 210 on the Gulf or intercoastal. Especially when loaded with ballast and platform under water.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-14-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I still say keep the big boat and look for something like a used 210 or a Xstar. If you live on big water then there's no substitution for the Sea Ray. if you just want to cruise and entertain people I would not be putting those type of hours on my hundred thousand dollar towboat! You would save so much money going this route you could pay for 10 lifts and 10 years worth of insurance before jt cost you more money. Also how good is this water that the Sea Ray is on?maybe you want a boat that you can keep on the trailer to take to inland lakes to board.
Please explain how owning TWO boats both being used in saltwater would save us money?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-14-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
Let's see buy a 2006-2008 star or 2008-2009 San 210 that has already taken the hit from new and exposed to salt, prob only pay 45k at most. Now use the boat for couple years and still have a boat worth 30k-35k. Save even more by buying an older BU to abuse in the salt. Plus u keep your sea ray for cruising and hanging out. Now buy that g23 pay $120k and use it for couple years then go and try and sell it. You'll be lucky to get $70k. Not many people are fans of wake boats that get used in salt let alone get stored on a lift in the salt.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-14-2012, 4:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Let's see buy a 2006-2008 star or 2008-2009 San 210 that has already taken the hit from new and exposed to salt, prob only pay 45k at most. Now use the boat for couple years and still have a boat worth 30k-35k. Save even more by buying an older BU to abuse in the salt. Plus u keep your sea ray for cruising and hanging out. Now buy that g23 pay $120k and use it for couple years then go and try and sell it. You'll be lucky to get $70k. Not many people are fans of wake boats that get used in salt let alone get stored on a lift in the salt.
In the long run not worth it. I have looked and looked and have only found a saltwater 230 for like $80k. G23 is a good boat in Coastal Edition, I would personally take better care of it then I have to the Sea Ray. Also the Sea Ray is having a ton of problems lately. We have had to spend around $15k in the past 2 years of up keep. It is currently a Money pit and is time to go.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-18-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
Also just got a quote for a 2013 X-Star. Way out of the budget around $170k.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-18-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
170k? is that real? Like you went into the Mastercraft dealer and talked with them about what you are looking for and the other boats and that is the brice they quoted you? WTF Was the boat dipped in 24k gold?
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-18-2012, 6:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
170k? is that real? Like you went into the Mastercraft dealer and talked with them about what you are looking for and the other boats and that is the brice they quoted you? WTF Was the boat dipped in 24k gold?
$160K Without the saltwater package.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-19-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
or a 24 MXZ for 90K, its that much of a difference? WOW MC WOW! Kinda hard to believe, but then again its wakeboarding.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-19-2012, 7:38 AM Reply   
Come on you know that MXZ build and fit an finish is easily half that of the new X Star. Jeeze get a clue!!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2012, 3:25 PM Reply   
So whats the story..James have you gone on any demos?..Did you buy a boat yet? How did the boats compare? WTH dont tell me this whole thread was a hoax.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-23-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
Why do posts keep vanishing? My last 2, this guys post about pros blowing knees & breaking driveshafts 1 hr ago??
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-23-2012, 3:38 PM Reply   
That was on the G23 thread and they are still there. Nothing vanishing.....no aliens here!!!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            10-23-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
Haha woops...this new bright case on my iphone must be messing with my eyes. I swear i dont do drugs
Old     (gregs_place)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-23-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
No offense kid but judging by your youtube videos you do not need a g23. Trade in the searay and get a 2010-2011 SAN or Malibu
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-23-2012, 4:54 PM Reply   
None needs a G23...none of us on here anyway. It's all about want and if you have the cash burning a hole, who wouldn't!!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-23-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Do share Greg
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-23-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
What trick(s) must one be capable of doing before they get the seal of approval to buy a G23?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-23-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
Good question??? I thought it just required a fat bank account!!!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-23-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
Who cares what tricks you do, how big do you pop, for some I see the G wake as being a hinderence to progression because it is so huge
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-23-2012, 7:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kko13 View Post
Do share Greg
In his profile.

1 cable video and 3,700 puberty voiced Minecraft videos.

LAWL
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-25-2012, 7:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
Who cares what tricks you do, how big do you pop, for some I see the G wake as being a hinderence to progression because it is so huge
Exactly. Yah I am a beginner. That cable video is old now too. I have gotten a lot better since then. But the progression speed behind a G23 would be crazy fast. My family isn't the one to skimp on boat quality either.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-26-2012, 6:42 AM Reply   
Like some have said the size of the wake could actually hinder development because it's so large.

Lets not talk boat quality if you are referring to the Sea Ray. I have always had a second cruising or go fast boat and Sea Ray's are not a bad boat, but they aren't top quality either. A Sea ray is a middle of the road boat. It's not a Cobalt, Carver, Formula, etc. To me a Sea Ray would be comparable to a Moomba or an Axis in the Tow Boat world, where the Nautique is top notch for sure. When you want to see quality you go look at a 10 year old used boat and see how it has held up. Everything looks pretty when new off the showroom floor.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-26-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Exactly. Yah I am a beginner. That cable video is old now too. I have gotten a lot better since then. But the progression speed behind a G23 would be crazy fast. My family isn't the one to skimp on boat quality either.
In my exp those I've seen most quickly progress have been those riding behind smaller wakes. They have had to learn the fundamentals to get good air and when they do finally move to a large wake kill it. Most people that I have seen who have tried to build their wake before they progress lack the basics and seem to never get them.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-26-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh1669 View Post
In my exp those I've seen most quickly progress have been those riding behind smaller wakes. They have had to learn the fundamentals to get good air and when they do finally move to a large wake kill it. Most people that I have seen who have tried to build their wake before they progress lack the basics and seem to never get them.
co-signed. the three best riders I know started on DD's with no ballast and put in the hours.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-26-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Clubs don't make the golfer bub. A G23 wouldn't have me landing TS 720s... Try learning switch toeside wake jumps on a huge wake and full speed and let me know how that goes for you... I malibu or smaller nautique, few year old wake boat that doesn't provide the biggest wake on the market... would be best to learn on, like an old Superair 210, you can dial it down or you can dial it pro, not G23 pro but a flat board and unslammed wake didn't keep parks from landing a 1080 in 1999...
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-26-2012, 9:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ummmmmm.......you might wanna find a new dealer. I know you weren't interested in it and I hope it's not only because of that bogus quote. When I looked at the G23 vs XStar the Star was much much cheaper. It had more options on it too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2012, 9:46 AM Reply   
I agree with a lot of the comments regarding a big wake hindering your ability to learn. I learned all of the fundamentals, including solid TS jumps, 180s, 360s, tantrum and TS backroll at 65 feet of rope behind an old wakesetter with stock ballast.

I've watched the same new riders struggle year after year with a basic TS jump because they're trying to learn at 75 / 80 feet at 24 mph on a huge wake. Today's conditions are much tougher to learn in.
Old     (tdelong)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-26-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Today's conditions are much tougher to learn in.
I totally agree with you but it's just ironic that the advancements in boating and wakeboarding equipment have made made the conditions tougher to learn in.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       10-26-2012, 10:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Exactly. Yah I am a beginner..... But the progression speed behind a G23 would be crazy fast....
its funny we're all trying to buy a 14 year old's parents a boat, but just for your sake, i agree with everyone here, you need to take it easy and learn the fundamentals first, get a VERY solid base down before you start slamming boats, its not needed. I have the capability to make a wake that's beyond my ability level, and rarely do so unless i'm feeling stupid that day (which happens alot actually, but at least i realize it).
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-26-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Please don't tell me that some people are recommending to not get a G23, because it is too much wake to become a good wakeboarder. It's super customizable. You can ride with no ballast, at 55' @ 18 mph and the wake is about like that of a slammed direct drive (similar to a MC205, in my opinion), which is what I suspect a lot of the old school pros originally rode behind. There are so many different options for riding, all of which provide a clean consistent wake. Most times I ride my G super slammed, however, when I want to learn a new trick, I drain the ballast, shorten the rope, and slow the boat down.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-26-2012, 3:56 PM Reply   
I think the post that got everyone fired up was when he said the G was going to help him progress super fast!!

"But the progression speed behind a G23 would be crazy fast."
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-26-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
I think what many are saying is it seems crazy that a 14yr old that can hardly ride, has never owned a wake boat and is coming from an i/o thinks the only boat suitable for them is a boat of g23's caliber. Aside from the fact that this beautiful boat is gonna get trashed being used out in the salt.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-27-2012, 12:35 PM Reply   
Lets give the kid the benefit of the doubt here, maybe he really has progressed a lot. Anyways I also feel the g23 wake would hinder progression depending on where your riding is at. Even putting beginners behind my 20 footer who have only ridden an I/o they find it very intimidating to charge something knee high w/out ballast I can't imagine throwing newbies out behind a g or a star
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-27-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
You guys keep saying he doesn't need a G23 because of his skill level. If you read through his posts you will also see that his family obviously has money and appreciates luxury. So yes a base wake boat would accomodate his skill level but I think the point some of you are missing is "dad the buyer" isn't going to be happy with a base wake boat in terms of luxury. So they are looking at high end wake boats not necessarily because he NEEDS a G23 wake but because he wants a G23 wake and his dad will most likely not settle for much less than a flagship boat no matter the brand.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-27-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
Hasn't been much discussed about needing a luxury boat. After all a Sea Ray is NOT a luxury boat by any stretch of the word. A Sea ray is a solid boat, but is the Chevolet of the I/O world, not the BMW or Mercedes. Any new wakeboat with the exception of a base Axis, Moomba R20 or the like is going to out "luxury" a Sea Ray hands down. Any of the boats he has mentioned are way more plush.

I think James WANTS the G23 for the status of the boat and who can blame him. If you can get dad to write the check any of us would have done the same at 14!!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       10-27-2012, 6:28 PM Reply   
true that Todd, and BTW James, when you turn 16 I prefer the AMG's over the M series but would be real super duper happy with either
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-28-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Wakedave nailed it. He needs something that makes everyone happy. While people can argue what class of boat a sea ray is, it's a reputable brand that has beeen around for decades that people know. For what it's worth, I don't own one and never have. Given that this guy is coming off of a bigger cruiser style boat, his parents probably aren't familiar with Tige, Moomba, etc, but they probably are familiar with Nautique. It seems to me that the kid has a good handle on the situation. He's going to get a sweet boat that his parents are also happy with. While I don't see myself buying a $100k + boat in the future, I can only hope that I have kids some day that are into boarding and want to spend their time helping me pick out a boat. I can still remember going on a boat test drive with my dad 25 years ago...and then again 4 years later....and after that another 5 years later. Great memories.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-28-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Head down to the local cruiser/ I/o marina and ask them about any inboard and 99% of those type of people don't know a Nautique from a Mastercraft from a Malibu or a Tige, Supra, Moomba, Sanger, etc. What they probably know is to them "those" boats are annoying. The 2 types seldom mix.

Bottom line is the kid wants the G and who can blame him. It's for no other reason then it's the G. Since unless things have changed he hadn't really taken a hard look or demo'd any of the boats. It's the hottest thing out there right now and who wouldn't want it if budget wasn't an issue.

James hasn't posted much lately so maybe he is out demoing all the boats to make an informed purchase. Let's hope so.
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-28-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
Small up date. After hearing from my sources and then seeing that the drive shaft problem is real, me and my dad have both decided to wait till spring to get a new boat of any kind. G23 still being at the top but I would like to give Nautique some time to fix the drive shaft problem. I am pretty sure we are getting a factory tour in the near future at Nautique and planning to demo one sometime this winter.