Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-12-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
So I currently have a 2001 HL Belmont 140. (check the link)
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard3.asp?ProductID=1019
I love this board. I have ridden a few others, enough so to realize that If I get a new board, I want a board similar.

I really like the 2005 HL Murray 142DNA board.
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard6.asp?ProductID=2578

I was curious if anyone has ridden both and what your opinion is? -OR- if you have another suggestion on a board that is similar, please do post your experience.

I have read the reviews here on WW, but was looking for additional reviews, comments or suggestions as well.

Thanks,
KG
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-12-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
I haven't ridden the 05 Murray. Theoretically they should be similar.

Demo a bunch of boards if you can.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-12-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
kg, come on over to the dark side...try the cwb mnarius.
Old    launch_wake            12-12-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
KG,
I have tried out quite a few board and I would recommend you try the 05 premier, or even 04. It will be a little bit of a different feeling, but it tracks up better. The new Murrays fell like they have quite a bit of rocker, so they are fairly loose on the water. Most people that have rode them felt as if they wanted to put larger fins on them to make them more stable. If you like to do a lot of surface spins and you have really good balance, than this board may be for you. If not, I would recommend trying the premier. If you are doing flips and spins, I would stick with the DNA. If not, you should go with the biolite to save some cash. Best place to buy is on ebay, you can find some smokin deals. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Ryan
Launch Wakeboarding School
916.532.WAKE(9253)
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-12-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
I've been riding the same shape as you for almost five years now.

I've tried numerous other boards and I've always returned to the Belmont/Motive shape.

Byerly
Premier
TFD
Substance
Subject
Harris
Clutch
Parks
Trip

My latest endeavor was the ERA. It has better pop off the wake than the Motive, but rides slower into it and feels sticky compared to the Motive. The landings are softer than the Motive but less forgiving. The ERA is also a very heavy board and feels like I'm working harder to get it to react.

I'm not a great rider by any means but, I have yet to find a board that has more consistent pop off the wake or is more forgiving on sketch landings so it was back to the Motive for me.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-12-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
KG, as you may know the 2001 Belmont is now called the Motive. It's still in HL's current lineup. Probably because it's too good to get rid of. I've been riding the Motive for 2 years now and have no nagging desire to change. I've never felt that way about any of my previous boards. But it sure doesn't hurt to demo.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-14-2005, 9:17 AM Reply   
Thanks all for the info.

Umali, Next time I am out west I'm gonna hit you up for a demo! Say hi to frankie for me!