Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
Just a quick comparison from my first pull with my new Moomba. I know its not apples to apples, but I thought it was worth posting up...

My first boat was a 1992 Prostar 190 (photo on the left). Weighted with one 700LBS bag in the bag and a 150LBS bag up front.

My current boat is an 06 Mobius LS with none of the ballast filled up.

Both pictures have only a driver and a spotter in the boat, so that weight is equal.

The wake on the Mobius with no weight is = or > the Mastercraft loaded out. Today was just a quick test run, but it's easy to see how much difference a hull makes.

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-08-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Looks like you’re confused about your left and right?

Looks like the Mastercraft is in a turn, the wake is foamy on one side.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-08-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
Ski hull vs. Wake hull?
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
Doh! yeah, my bye

The mastercraft is on a slight turn, but it would wash pretty easily when you were approaching the opposite side.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-08-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Pictures are really hard to judge a wake anyways. But I would of liked to see what the Mobius was doing with it's stock ballast in it. Rider A looks like he can pop alot higher than rider B which makes the 1st picture look better.
750 pounds is not really adding much weight to the MC either. Nearly every wakeboat comes with that or more in stock ballast these days.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
Yeah, there is not much to be gain from the comparison except to make you feel better about your purchase.

The 1992 MC was not designed for a wake, the 2006 Mobius is. Looks like you will get much enjoyment from your new boat. Add that weight you used in the MC to the Mobius and you will really be skying.

A side note...the prostar needed more weight in the nose.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       04-08-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
yeah.. That was the main objective of the comparison. We generally rode in the pro star with that 750 bag in the back so that was what i learned to do Tantrums behind it.

Having the mobius is night and day comparison to me personally. I know the MC wasn't designed for wake but thats all i could afford at the time. Its just gonna be nice to have the interior room the mobius provides + not having fat sacs laying everywhere. My mobius has a gravity games III triple ballast so i think with ballast filled up i will have plenty to keep my happy for a while.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
We upgraded from a 1998 MC to a 2006 MC X-1. Everything was better than the old boat. No perfect pass on the 1998 so we really enjoy that with the X-1. We want the bigger wake, so the fat sacs are still in the X-l but we are thinking about stowing them this summer. We run the hard tanks in the lockers and place another sack in each side. The big bag still sits in the walkway, but we're use to it now. But without the motor in the middle of the boat, it still feels like we have plenty of room.

My family still owns our 92 prostar. No boarding is done behind it though, my dad only uses it to cruise around the lake. That boat brings up many good memories of when I was younger.

Looks like your ready for a great summer.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
Here's what the wake looks like on the Mobius with a little weight. This is from an LSV, but it's the same hull. Rider is 6'1" or 6'2". We were running 23mph with about 1800lbs, wake plate in the middle. He was riding at 75ft I believe, def no closer than 70ft.Upload
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2009, 10:45 PM Reply   
It's nice to verify that a moomba wakeboat slightly outperforms (those pics might almost suggest the opposite) an almost 20 year old MC ski boat. We're you surprised?
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       04-10-2009, 10:57 PM Reply   
Suprised, no.

Stoked beyond belief, yes.

Its like buying a your first car when your 16 and being so happy to have a ride, and then a few years later actually buying a NEW car, the feeling is amazing. Obviously the 2 vehicles aren't directly comparable, but its cool to see where you came from.

On the other hand, some things get better with age, I mean, I'm still banging your mom and that gets better every night. Wait, too far?
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
scotty, don't sweat these guys around here. Expect to catch a ton of crap for camparing a Moomba to anything. This place is loaded with boat snobs who refuse to believe that a Moomba can compete with a Mastercraft, Malibu, or anything else.
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       04-10-2009, 11:09 PM Reply   
Thx Shane, BTW, I think that LSV shot of yours looks pretty solid. I'm sooooooo ready to start getting on the water every weekend.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2009, 11:36 PM Reply   
I love Moomba's for the record, a slammed LSV is a top notch wake. I just am really impressed with that photo of the ski boat. Just not sure what we are getting at in this post.

Both those boats need weight up front and in the back to punt you, I think once you get it dialed you'll be amazed at what a dd can do.
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-27-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
Shane, you say you had 1800 lbs in that moomba, but how was the weight distributed in the boat? My guy and I took the boat (2003 LSV) out last weekend and he was having a hell of getting the wake to shape up nicely.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-29-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
Jessica, the 03 LSV is a different hull. They changed it in 06. I'm not sure how your hull likes to be weighted, but the new one likes more weight in the bow. I was running the 600lb intergrated bow sac, the stock ski locker sack, and 750lb bags in the rear compartments that were about half full. Check the moomba forums as there's several people there with the same boat you have and they know how to dial it in.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-29-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
Jess,

2003 LSV
Depending on the ability level and what is factory installed on the LSV.......

Start with 450lbs or so on each side of the engine.
The center locker filled and 400 in the nose. Wakeplate all the way up and you are golden.I would say with the above setup intermediate to advance wake capabilites depending on the size of the crew in the boat. That old LSV hull is a little on the flatter side so needs a little more weight to get it kicking, but it does have advanced wake capabilities. On the flip side it throws one heck of a barefoot/ski for a v-drive as well.

The hull on that LSV is much different then that on this LS. The LS is now on the new drop keel hull just like the 06 and later LSV's which do like weight in the bow.
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-29-2009, 10:54 PM Reply   
Ah, I hadn't realized they'd changed the hull. Thanks guys, that should be a good starting point for us this weekend.