Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-05-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
I noticed the smell of gas all day on Sunday. I narrowed it down to when I'm in the drivers seat. I put approx. 3/4 tank of gas before we launched. I can't believe that it is normal to be smelling gas like that. That is the last thing I want is to smell gas when I'm trying to have a good time on the water. It's an 01 SAN. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-05-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
You should not be smelling gas when you are underway, or have been underway and have just stopped. I would look for leaks near the pump, carb, and make sure you check the filler line.
Old     (wdp)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-05-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
I had that once on our 06 MC and it was the top of the fuel tank needed to be tightened down.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-06-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
Please dont operate your boat until you get it fixed.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-06-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
I had a very small gas leak once, its amazing how bad I could smell gas from such a small leak. Follow you fuel delivery system and ck for leaks.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-06-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
If you are smelling it in the driver's seat only then likely you have a gas cap that is not tightened down enough. My gas cap is right next to the driver's seat in my 2000 SAN. If you can smell it still once the cap is placed on tightly then pull the seats and take out the floor board and see if any if you connections on the gas tank are bad or there is a leak in the gas line. These would really be the only spots you should have to check if you only smell the gas from the drivers seat on a SAN.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-06-2008, 7:44 PM Reply   
I'm going to pull the floor boards and check for leaks. That would be great if it were the gas cap not being tight enough. Thanks for the tips.
Old     (loonytik)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-07-2008, 5:26 AM Reply   
See this post....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/577112.html?1210135520
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-07-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
Hey Rod, I believe your fuel vent is right next to your fuel fill on that boat. Under the gunnel there may be a "check valve" or loop in your fuel vent line that is retaining some fuel from when you fill your tank. (When filling your tank, fuel is forced into your tank and air with some fuel may be forced up your vent line causing the brief smell). Also if your are aggressively maneuvering (ala power turns) the boat, you may force some fuel up the vent line, causing a brief wiff of gas. Check to make sure the check valve is draining back into the tank and not holding fuel in any of these situations. Hope that helps.