Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-03-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
As many of you know I am not the most organized person in the world. I recently started a marketing business and have been adding clients. I have never used accounting software and I am finding it very confusing and hard to understand as far as the set up and organizing etc.... I have been playing around with quick books online, and looking at some other software. So far I am leaning toward Peachtree Pro 2010. Does anyone have any advice for someone who just wants to keep it simple yet have a program that keeps track of inventory, accounts receivable, invoicing and re-acurring billing with reminders etc? The business looks to be taking off and I am adding a couple sales people in about two weeks, so getting better organized is a huge deal for me before things get out of hand?

PS not looking for anyone to get on my case for not having this set up already, or throwing negative remarks my way, if you have solid advice that you think will help I welcome it with open arms.

I've been in sales forever so I know what it takes to get the money coming in, I'm just a little lost on the accounting side of things.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-04-2010, 5:41 AM Reply   
Quickbooks pro has served me well for 7 years. Readily available, easy to use, etc. I have no exp with peachtree. Your accountant should be able to walk you through the initial setup process and get you started.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-04-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
quickbooks is very simple IMO. Pay someone to help you set it up and train you. It will be money well spent.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
+1 for quickboooks pro, my wife and I have been using it for 6 yrs. and it works well for us.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Peachtree is a good program. I like it better than Quickbooks.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-04-2010, 6:59 AM Reply   
Use whatever your accountant prefers and uses and or is certified in. since you are starting fresh it is a no biggie. I have used QB for 12+ yrs and I hate it. not the software per say but the process in general. That is why I have bookkeepers :-)
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
Daniel - you and I are pretty much doing the same thing? Internet marketing?

I did my DBA at the end of last year and have about 10 clients now. I've been considering Quickbooks, but I had a 2008 Quicken home+business software disk around. I just installed it and I am starting to play with customer lists, invoices, and tracking.

I know costco has a coupon now for $20 bucks off, so you can get it for less than 50 bucks or so.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11500446&search=quicken&Mo=4&c m_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=quicken&Ntt=quicken&No=4&Ntx=mo de+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I don't have inventory or employees, and my costs are pretty much fixed, so I think quicken might be fine. But I do think you can track employees on there.

Quicken also has a mini-business plan and quick legal guide.

Let me know if you want me to send you my business plan.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2010, 5:26 PM Reply   
Daniel - you and I are pretty much doing the same thing? Internet marketing?

I did my DBA at the end of last year and have about 10 clients now. I've been considering Quickbooks, but I had a 2008 Quicken home+business software disk around. I just installed it and I am starting to play with customer lists, invoices, and tracking.

I know costco has a coupon now for $20 bucks off, so you can get it for less than 50 bucks or so.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11500446&search=quicken&Mo=4&c m_re=1-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=0&whse=&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=quicken&Ntt=quicken&No=4&Ntx=mo de+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I don't have inventory or employees, and my costs are pretty much fixed, so I think quicken might be fine. But I do think you can track employees on there.

Quicken also has a mini-business plan and quick legal guide.

Let me know if you want me to send you my business plan.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-04-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Thanks Bobby, I actually bought Peachtree Pro 2010 and I am scheduled to sit with an accountant who is going to walk me through the entire set up. Just got another sale today I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. Tired of hearing about the down economy if you want it you have to go out and get it. I lost alot in the realestate down turn and I am very motivated to get back in the saddle and start generating some great income again. Goal is to be able to purchase a Malibu LSV 23 not this summer but the next. Obviously not the main goal but a fun one and one to look forward to.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-04-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
I feel ya. I sold my boat last year.

Sounds like you are gonna do it right with the accountant. I am a do it yourselfer - even my taxes.

Did you check out webplus software?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-04-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
No I haven't heard of that. What is it?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-04-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
Ok I just checked it out, I have looked at Serif but I bought Namo webeditor which was really hard to learn. I also use some other software but web design is just a small part of what I do. I don't really push that part of my business. Mostly email and Sms marketing.